Scientology--Faux Religion?

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 12:22 pm
What is your basic opinion of Scientology, the supposed merge between science and religion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,604 • Replies: 44
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 12:32 pm
@-Ramen Lord-,
You can do a search and run Google and Wikipedia searches on scientology and find out quite a lot. Here's a start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology
Historically, Scientology (or Dianetics) was developed by L. Ron Hubbard, who was a second-rate sci-fi book author of the '50s. It became a religion in order to avoid US federal tax implications.

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 01:39 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
. . . L. Ron Hubbard, who was a second-rate sci-fi book author of the '50s.

I was surprised to see you rate him so highly. I am equally surprised that this is a serious question, but i guess younger people aren't aware of scams like this.
djjd62

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 01:55 pm
Scientology--Faux Religion?

probably no more so than any of the others
Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 02:15 pm
@-Ramen Lord-,
IMHO, it's clearly a faux religion as exemplified by their long infamous history since its founding. Why not Google searchwords Scientology and 'fair game' and see what practices Scientology leadership do/does when they come up against opposition.

For an interesting listing of some of the controversies, wrong-doings and criminal acts perpetrated by the leaders of Scientology religion/cult, see the following hyperlink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_controversies
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 02:38 pm
@djjd62,
Also you might want to look up in Google or Wikipedia the following incident (in Clearwater FL) that involves the Church of Scientology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_McPherson
djjd62

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 04:02 pm
@Ragman,
tragic, but other christian sects have had similar problems, people relying on faith healers,refusing medical care or vaccinations

by faux i was merely referring to the premise of scientology being as realistic as any other religion
Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 10:01 pm
@djjd62,
It is FAR worse than most. Have you at all read the info in the links? As I wrote earlier, it only organized as a religion to dodge the tax collector. The Scientology headquarters of the church have taken over and overrun the town of Clearwater, FL and isolated themselves. Pitched battles socially and in court have been waged,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearwater,_Florida
0 Replies

-Ramen Lord-

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 12:10 pm
@Setanta,
Oh, no, I do believe it is a scam. I consider Scientology more of a pyramid scam-that Rael man gets filthy rich and his little cohorts snap up the scraps.

But I do wonder how people can believe this. After all, the theory is so boldly far-fetched I don't understand how they can even consider it a religion.
-Ramen Lord-

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 12:11 pm
@-Ramen Lord-,
Furthermore, IMHO, religion and science should never mix. It's just so contradicting. Yet I still don't understand how all these scientologists can believe in it.
0 Replies

-Ramen Lord-

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 12:14 pm
@djjd62,
Have to side with Ragman. Scientology may be as realistic as any other religion, but it seems far worse.
BillRM

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 08:15 am
@-Ramen Lord-,
Quote:
After all, the theory is so boldly far-fetched I don't understand how they can even consider it a religion.

Aliens and the earth being a prison planet for their souls/spirits is more far fetched then a son of god bringing back to life someone who had been dead for so long that he smell of rotting meat?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 08:50 am
Wouldn't we need an agreeable definition of what a religion is before we discuss whether one is "faux" or not?

I'd say it's as much a religion as any based on my personal definition.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:02 am
@-Ramen Lord-,
Study the history of Scientolgy and the late L. Ron Hubbard and you'll see a long history of bad deeds, illegal acts and skirting tax laws. This is not as much a credibility issue of their religious beliefs as it is one that's about their focused policy (call it a charter) and practice of targeting people as enemies of Scientology and organizations who disagree with them. When they declare someone "fair game" some end up rather dead. Don't believe me? Research it and read years of news articles. Ask the Feds.

Then there's the recent case of someone mentally ill who died under their care that I listed prior.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Scientology

Why not read the previous links or Google them yourself. This is not one man's opinion or some vendetta. They are a very dangerous LARGE organization.

Jim Jones started a religion back in the '70s and look where it got his followers.
BillRM

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:51 am
@Ragman,
Being dangerous or not does not define if a movement is a religion or not a religion.

All major religions have a history of for many many many centuries of killing/torturing those it view as being enemies.

This is ongoing into modern times with hit contracts being issue for books authors and cartoon creators for example.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 10:02 am
@Ragman,
Note I share your low opinion of Scientology and it actions however no more then a large numbers of current religions organizations.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 01:24 pm
No matter what the proponents of Scientology like to call it, I've always understood it to be a cult.
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 03:50 pm
@spidergal,
Quote:
No matter what the proponents of Scientology like to call it, I've always understood it to be a cult.

A cult is any religion or any branch of a religion that you do not care for.

To me Scientology is a cult but then so is the Catholic Church.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 07:32 am
@-Ramen Lord-,
Just as much a religion as Christianity. They're all lies and half-truths made to convince people there's something beyond death to look fowards to.

If it comforts you believing some galactic overlord named Xenu filled human beings with alien souls trillions of years ago more power to you. But the truth is Scientology like every other cult uses tried and true cult-tactics and psychology to brainwash it's followers. If you don't think so, tell your Scientology auditor about your interest in studying psychology. Smile
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 07:34 am
@-Ramen Lord-,
You're confusing Raelians with Scientology. Smile Raelians are the UFO cult people, Scientology are the Republican Xenu-cult ones.
0 Replies