Hair Club for Dogs??

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 03:54 pm
My Vizla (10 months) has developed unsightly bald spots on his head and 1 under his chin. The bald spots seem dry and flaky, but are not running sores.<br>
Help!

http://pandoras-toybox.com/dante.jpg

(Image pre-bald spots.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,405 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 05:16 pm
Very cute doggie. :-D

Have you tried your vet? It sounds like an allergy or maybe even just dry skin. The vet can rule out other things like (ick) parasitic infections and the like. It's probably not hot spots as the dog can't lick his head and under his chin. And, of course, the vet can prescribe and/or recommend a product to take care of the problem. I'm sure human's hand lotion isn't any good - after all, if the dog gets some on his paw, and licks his paw, perhaps he could get sick or worse.

Good luck and I hope the lil cutie is better soon!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 05:20 pm
I wouldnt rule out hot spots because he can reach with his paws and scartch. Does he fling his head around like it itches. ?
Sarcoptic mange can start out likethis but, happily can be easily cured.
The vet is where you should be , not here. he needs to do a microscopic evaluation of the stuff around the bald spots to see whats the cause.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 06:46 pm
DOGS - HAIRLOSS
hi, pandemonia : have no personal experience, but found quite a few google entries under : +dogs+hair loss+bald spots . (the first entry is a blind one). hope you have some luck. one of ehbeth's dogs seems to have an allergy (not all the time) and does a lot of scratching. the vet recommended that the dog be given half of a TAVIST tablet (an old allergy medication that i have been using for many years), and it sure does work for ebeth's dog. still, i would recommend that you ask a vet for advice. wow, wow ! hbg
0 Replies

Pandemonia

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 05:30 am
Thanks everyone for your help!

Yes, we need to get to the vet - was hoping to postpone it a bit until we finish reeling from Christmas' expense.

He doesn't seem to be bothered overmuch (no head shaking) and at first I thought that it was where he'd bonked his head off a drawer I was opening. But then we found the one under his chin, so we took a closer look.

Anyways, thanks again with your suggestions!
Smile
0 Replies