Is China Making Plastic Rice?

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 10:14 pm

"Various reports in Singapore media have said that Chinese companies are mass producing fake rice made, in part, out of plastic, according to one online publication Very Vietnam.

The "rice" is made by mixing potatoes, sweet potatoes and plastic. The potatoes are first formed into the shape of rice grains. Industrial synthetic resins are then added to the mix. The rice reportedly stays hard even after being cooked.

The Korean-language Weekly Hong Kong reported that the fake rice is being sold in the Chinese town of Taiyuan, in Shaanxi province.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,792 • Replies: 13
No top replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 10:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
I hope they are arrested and shot.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 11:24 am
wouldn't surprise me a bit
engineer

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 12:35 pm
@Mame,
It would surprise me. From the description, it is harder and likely more expensive to make fake rice than to get the real thing. For an illicit process, the reports seem to know a lot about it including the introduction of "industrial synthetic resins". On rare occasions, I've ended up with non-food items like a small piece of bone or a little piece of plastic from a container in my food and detected it while chewing. How long would it take someone eating rice with plastic in it to figure it out? From the description of the fakes, I think around one bite would be enough. For something like this to be worthwhile to the con men, they would have to be able to get away with it for a long period of time and have a low likelihood of getting caught and both of those aren't true here. This smells of urban legend.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 01:32 pm
this is so typical of China, The US company DuPont owns the patent for plastic rice but China continues to ignore our patent.
chai2

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 01:39 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

this is so typical of China, The US company DuPont owns the patent for plastic rice but China continues to ignore our patent.

It probably a bunch of women who are doing this.......

Chinise women.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 02:09 pm
@chai2,
well the Korean-language Weekly Hong Kong is well known for plastic based out-sourced potato/plastic patent violated happy meals (the free toys are imported from Somalia)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 02:18 pm
Although the rice reportedly stays hard even after cooking and is hard to digest, production costs are very low and profits very high. A Chinese Restaurant Association official said that eating three bowls of this fake rice would be like eating one plastic bag. An investigation is apparently underway into the affair.

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Plastic-rice-made-in-Taiyuan-20751.html
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 02:33 pm
"Chinese authorities have repeatedly sentenced dishonest business people to long prison terms, but have proven unable to guarantee food safety."

It's getting really hard to find things NOT made in China, but that's my crusade... their **** falls apart, you can't trust what's in it, and they have no ethics. Those involved, that is.

Why would anyone buy that plastic rice a second time?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 02:38 pm
@Mame,
I got no answers, no theories.
Mame

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 02:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ah, what good are ya, Edgar?

And why would they put plastic in it? Why not just potato and sweet potato?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 02:51 pm
@Mame,
Color and cohesiveness?
Mame

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 03:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Inedible? Harmful?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 03:19 pm
@Mame,
I'm sure the phony rice will be stopped. I'm also thinking the people who ate it have no option to sue in China. Or do they?
0 Replies