works = cooperates?

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 05:38 am
It is unlikely that Dunman works in two dozen labs around the world.

Context:
These researchers are among scientists at two dozen laboratories around the world with which Dunman works. He is also a founder and owner of Caddis Research LLC, which is developing antimicrobial agents that target bacteria that pose a threat to public health, and he is a consultant for Pfizer Research.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 719 • Replies: 3
No top replies

contrex

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 12:31 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
It is unlikely that Dunman works in two dozen labs around the world.

Indeed, which is why it says "with" and not "in".

Quote:
two dozen laboratories around the world with which Dunman works.

oristarA

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 11:33 pm
@contrex,
Thanks.
But I'm not sure I've got your idea clearly.
contrex

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:47 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Thanks.
But I'm not sure I've got your idea clearly.

He works with the laboratories, meaning he co-operates with the scientists working in those other laboratories, suggesting experiments, sharing and comparing ideas and results, communicating by email, telephone, video conference, etc. All those scientists work together on things. They may occasionally visit each other and meet at conferences but they need not spend a lot of time being physically present in each others research institutes.

If the text said he worked in the other laboratories, then that would imply that he travelled around the world to physically work in them.

The word "laboratory" can mean a building or room with benches, Bunsen burners, test tubes etc. It can also be used for institutions e.g. divisions of universities including their personnel.

0 Replies