Is Mount St. Helens Going to Blow Again?

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2011 01:38 pm
Magnitude 4.3 - MOUNT ST. HELENS AREA, WASHINGTON
2011 February 14 18:35:25 UTC

Earthquake Details

* This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 4.3
Date-Time

* Monday, February 14, 2011 at 18:35:25 UTC
* Monday, February 14, 2011 at 10:35:25 AM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 46.279°N, 122.215°W
Depth 5 km (3.1 miles) set by location program
Region MOUNT ST. HELENS AREA, WASHINGTON
Distances

* 9 km (6 miles) NNW (343°) from Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA
* 31 km (20 miles) S (171°) from Morton, WA
* 35 km (22 miles) SE (143°) from Mossyrock, WA
* 59 km (37 miles) ENE (75°) from Longview, WA
* 78 km (48 miles) NNE (23°) from Vancouver, WA

http://www.nwcn.com/home/?fId=116172814&fPath=/news/local&fDomain=10202

http://media.nwcn.com/images/ash-plain.jpg

4.3 quake hits near Mt. St. Helens, followed by smaller quake

Credit: Grant McOmie / KGW

4.3 quake hits near Mt. St. Helens, followed by smaller quake

by Michael Rollins

NWCN.com

Posted on February 14, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Updated today at 11:33 AM

PORTLAND -- A .3 earthquake hit the Mt. St. Helens area about 10:35 a.m. Monday, followed by a second about two minutes later at magnitude 2.5.

The first quake was reported initially as a 3.3 magnitude quake.

USGS data on the quake

Emergency dispatchers from Clark, Cowlitz and Skamania counties all got calls reporting the quake, but no reports of any damage.

Several residents of the area told KGW they felt the quake, including as a far south as the Sunnyside area of Clackamas.

Doug Phillips lives near the Clark County Fairgrounds at I-5 and I-205 and said he felt the quake for 10 to 15 seconds.

Nate Boris said he felt it in Hood River. Viki in Kalama said her whole house was shaking.

Debby Southworth told KGW that "I just felt a shift and my entire house shook. The windchimes on my front porch chimed too."

A swarm of earthquakes were reported within the Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument the last week of January ranging from magnitude 1.3 to 2.6.

Scientists said the quakes occurred in the St. Helens seismic zone, which is a series of tectonic faults which runs underneath Mount St. Helens.

A spokesman at the seismology lab at the University Washington, Bill Steele, said the quakes were caused by faults and not volcanic activity.

He added that they were about two miles deep, just northwest of the volcano and no one had reported that they felt the earthquakes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,375 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2011 03:57 pm
I certainly hope not. The last time it blew there was dust all over my yard and I live 1000 miles away.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2011 09:40 pm
http://tdn.com/news/local/article_e4d4e12a-386b-11e0-918b-001cc4c002e0.html

Earthquake swarm near Mount St. Helens rattles region

By Andre Stepankowsky / The Daily News | Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 5:30 pm

A series of aftershocks that rattled the area northwest of Mount St. Helens for about an hour late Monday morning started with an initial jolt that geologists upgraded to a magnitude 4.3.

"It's popping. There are lots of ... aftershocks. Just keeping up with it is a little difficult," said Bill Steele, a seismologist at the University of Washington Geophysics Lab in Seattle.

The initial quake, recorded at 10:35 a.m. six miles northwest of the volcano, was felt over a broad area as far west as Astoria, north to Puyallup and Port Orchard, south to Lake Oswego and east to Lyle, Wash., Steele said. It was first estimated at magnitude 3.3.

The seismology lab received 680 reports from people who felt the shock.

There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries from the initial jolt or the eight aftershocks, which measured up to magnitude 2.8 and were occurring about 3 miles below the surface. A magnitude 3 quake is 10 times less powerful than a magnitude 4.

Despite the widespread area affected, the level of shaking was relatively weak, measuring light to moderate even at the epicenter, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

Linda Tucker, who lives at the end of Headquarters Road north of Kelso, said the quake woke her up. A native of Southern California, Tucker has felt bigger quakes, but Monday's temblor startled her.

"It was a good jolt," she said.

The cluster of earthquakes is not believed to be directly related to any volcanic activity, Steele said.

The seismic activity occurred in what is known as the Mount St. Helens seismic zone, a fault that starts northwest of the volcano and heads up in a northwesterly direction into Lewis County. The fault cuts through a remote, unpopulated area and was discovered after a 5.5 magnitude earthquake occurred on the fault, coincidentally enough, exactly 30 years ago on Valentine's Day 1981.

"It is not an area we are surprised to see an earthquake swarm. (But) this is awfully vigorous," Steele said.

Although the earthquakes do not appear to be related to any flow of molten rock within Mount St. Helens, the two geologic features likely are linked in some ways, he said.

For example, the fault is a weak spot in the earth's crust that molten rock initially may have exploited to make its way to the surface and gave rise to the volcano in the first place. Mount St. Helens is only estimated to be about 40,000 years old, and most of its cone is only a few thousands years old, scientists say.

The last significant quake to hit the fault — the 5.5 in 1981 — followed the eruption of a huge amount of molten rock in 1980-81. It's possible the eruption changed stresses within the earth's crust, triggering that earthquake. Likewise, the volcano's last eruptive period — from 2004-2008 — could have caused similar changes in the crust that may have contributed to Monday's earthquake swarm.

It's still too early to tell, but the seismic zone is too close to the volcano to rule out some connection between the two, Steele said.

He noted that a magnitude 2.6 quake hit in the same area Jan. 29.

"Right now it looks like a typical Mount St. Helens seismic zone event with vigorous aftershocks."
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2011 10:15 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Is Mount St. Helens Going to Blow Again?
Definitely YES.....but when ? In the mean time Yellowstone is something to be truly feared, though it is probably at least 100 yrs away.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 03:15 pm
@Ionus,
The geology of the whole western half of the US appears to be under enormous pressure just waiting for release, the kind of release that helped form the Sierras and the Rockies.

Have you been following my thread about the San Andreas? Been posting quakes and articles of interest there for a few years now.
Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 05:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Have you been following my thread about the San Andreas?
I would be interested in following...can you post a link please ?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 05:38 pm
http://able2know.org/topic/126216-1
Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 05:41 pm
@Rockhead,
Thank you.
0 Replies