Understanding Kant

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 11:03 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Whose reason, and how?

There comes a point in discussions such as these where it is evident that one side needs to do quite a bit more homework in order to catch up to the other. That time is now. If you have to ask that question, then you clearly need to re-read the Critique of Practical Reason.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 11:32 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

wandeljw wrote:
Kant made a distinction between “hypothetical” imperatives and “categorical” imperatives. It seems that a utilitarian approach would only lead to hypothetical imperatives.

I don't see how that follows from the quote you cite.

Kant wrote:
If now the action is good only as a means to something else, then the imperative is hypothetical;

... so how is it inconsistent with reason to claim that "tell the truth" is a hypothetical imperative, not a categorical imperative?

Kant wrote:
if it is conceived as good in itself and consequently as being necessarily the principle of a will which of itself conforms to reason, then it is categorical .

... so how is it inconsistent with reason to claim that "increase happiness, decrease suffering" is a categorical imperative, not a hypothetical imperative?

One can agree with Kant that there is a categorical imperative involved in the choice to tell the truth, while disagreeing that it's "don't lie, ever."

Kant's contrast of "hypothetical" and "categorical" seems to imply that the first is conditional and that the second is unconditional.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 12:58 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
such as these where it is evident that one side needs to do quite a bit more homework in order to catch up to the other. That time is now. If you have to ask that question, then you clearly need to re-read the Critique of Practical Reason.

I will. Meanwhile, perhaps you can show me how any of the following two claims a priori conflicts with reason:
  • "Tell the truth" is a conditional imperative, not a categorical imperative.
  • "Increase happiness, decrease suffering" is a categorical imperative, not a conditional imperative
Note: I am aware it conflicts with what Kant thought are the relevant categorical and conditional imperatives. But to say "because Kant said so" is not the same argument as to say "because reason itself requires it".

PS: I'm not aware that I'm "one side" of anything. The title of this thread is "understanding Kant". I am here to ask questions that might help me understand Kant.
djjd62

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 01:00 pm
i can understand can't, it's won't that i have troible with
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:07 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
I will. Meanwhile, perhaps you can show me how any of the following two claims a priori conflicts with reason:
  • "Increase happiness, decrease suffering" is a categorical imperative, not a conditional imperative
Note: I am aware it conflicts with what Kant thought are the relevant categorical and conditional imperatives. But to say "because Kant said so" is not the same argument as to say "because reason itself requires it".

I don't understand your questions. Are you asking how Kant could argue that "tell the truth" is a hypothetical imperative and "increase happiness, decrease suffering" is a categorical imperative? Or how I can argue those things? Or how those things can be argued by anybody?
Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 11:16 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I don't understand your questions. Are you asking how Kant could argue that "tell the truth" is a hypothetical imperative and "increase happiness, decrease suffering" is a categorical imperative? Or how I can argue those things? Or how those things can be argued by anybody?

Okay, let's step back for a moment. WandelJW cited Kant's distinction between categorical imperatives and conditional imperatives. I agree with Kant that this is a useful distinction in talking about ethics. But I disagree with Kant about the status of particular imperatives. In particular, I claim that the imperative "don't lie" is conditional, and that the imperative "increase happiness, decrease suffering" is categorical. (At least I claim this for purposes of this thread.)

So here's my question: Given what you know about Kant, what evidence and logic would Kant use to persuade me that my claims are wrong?

I am especially unclear on this because, in the 5-page article you cited earlier, Kant repeatedly appeals to consequences of lying to a prospective murderer. For one, he says on page that doing so "vitilates the very source of right"---whatever that means. I didn't find the word "vitilate" in a dictionary, but Kant is clearly talking about a consequence. Moreover, he says that "truthfulness is a duty that must be regarded as the basis of all duties founded on contract, and the laws of such duties would be rendered uncertain and useless if even the lightest exception to them were admitted." That's clearly an argument from consequences, and a false one at that: The society we live in approves of preventing murder by lying, and where contract law is still useful. I strongly suspect the same was true of the society Kant lived in.

On the face of it, then, Kant quite happily appealed to consequences in defending what he regarded as a categorical imperative.
Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 11:20 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Okay, let's step back for a moment. WandelJW cited Kant's distinction between categorical imperatives and conditional imperatives. I agree with Kant that this is a useful distinction in talking about ethics. But I disagree with Kant about the status of particular imperatives. In particular, I claim that the imperative "don't lie" is conditional, and that the imperative "increase happiness, decrease suffering" is categorical. (At least I claim this for purposes of this thread.)

So here's my question: Given what you know about Kant, what evidence and logic would Kant use to persuade me that my claims are wrong?

I am especially unclear on this because Kant seems to use all kinds of reasoning in the 5-page article you cited earlier. Among other things, he repeatedly argues from the alleged consequences of easing up on liars to prospective murderers. For one, he says on page that doing so "vitilates the very source of right"---whatever that means. I didn't find the word "vitilate" in a dictionary, but Kant is clearly talking about a consequence. Moreover, he says that "truthfulness is a duty that must be regarded as the basis of all duties founded on contract, and the laws of such duties would be rendered uncertain and useless if even the lightest exception to them were admitted." That's clearly an argument from consequences, and a false one at that: The society we live in approves of preventing murder by lying, and where contract law is still useful. I strongly suspect the same was true of the society Kant lived in.

On the face of it, then, Kant quite happily appealed to consequences in defending what he regarded as a categorical imperative.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 12:32 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
I agree with Kant that this is a useful distinction in talking about ethics. But I disagree with Kant about the status of particular imperatives. In particular, I claim that the imperative "don't lie" is conditional, and that the imperative "increase happiness, decrease suffering" is categorical. (At least I claim this for purposes of this thread.)

I don't understand the basis for your statement that you disagree with Kant "about the status of particular imperatives." Are you saying that Kant is wrong on his terms or on your terms?

Thomas wrote:

Kant says that the imperative against lying is categorical. He explains it quite succinctly in the article "On the Supposed Right to Lie" that I linked earlier. If you lie, you destroy the basis of all agreements, all contracts, all promises. One cannot adopt a universal rule that allows lying and still permits promises because that constitutes a logical contradiction. I'm not sure what else you need.

Thomas wrote:
I am especially unclear on this because, in the 5-page article you cited earlier, Kant repeatedly appeals to consequences of lying to a prospective murderer. For one, he says on page that doing so "vitilates the very source of right"---whatever that means. I didn't find the word "vitilate" in a dictionary, but Kant is clearly talking about a consequence.

I assume that the article was scanned from a book, which explains that error (and several others). "Vitilates" should clearly be "vitiates." Here's another version, if that helps.

Thomas wrote:
Moreover, he says that "truthfulness is a duty that must be regarded as the basis of all duties founded on contract, and the laws of such duties would be rendered uncertain and useless if even the lightest exception to them were admitted." That's clearly an argument from consequences, and a false one at that: The society we live in approves of preventing murder by lying, and where contract law is still useful. I strongly suspect the same was true of the society Kant lived in.

He's talking about creating a logical contradiction, not about any kind of practical or utilitarian consequences. Since a rule that permits lying would yield a contradiction, it is contrary to reason.
Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 01:10 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
I don't understand the basis for your statement that you disagree with Kant "about the status of particular imperatives." Are you saying that Kant is wrong on his terms or on your terms?

It's about his terms. At the very least, I'm saying that his general terms permit for the don't-lie imperative to be conditional and for the decrease-suffering-increase-happiness imperative to be categorical. There's no conflict in that with reason, or with his general formulation of the categorical imperative.

Thomas wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:
Kant says that the imperative against lying is categorical. He explains it quite succinctly in the article "On the Supposed Right to Lie" that I linked earlier. If you lie, you destroy the basis of all agreements, all contracts, all promises.

So, what if I provided Kant with empirical evidence that this is false? That you can in fact have it both ways---save the victim's life with a lie and preserve the basis of all agreements (...)---by applying a different categorical imperative? Would evidence like that change his mind about the ethics of lying?

joefromchicago wrote:
"Vitilates" should clearly be "vitiates."

Thanks.

joefromchicago wrote:
He's talking about creating a logical contradiction, not about any kind of practical or utilitarian consequences. Since a rule that permits lying would yield a contradiction, it is contrary to reason.

Continuing to use you as a Kant-simulator: How does Kant resolve conflicts between categorical imperatives? For example, I'm pretty sure Kant would disapprove of a rule that permits assisting murderers. He would find that it, too, yields a contradiction and vitiates the source of right. Accordingly, he would conclude that there is a categorical imperative not to help murderers kill their victims. Now, when the murderer asks me if his victim is in the house, and if I don't have the option to be silent, I cannot help but disobey one of the two categorical imperatives at stake. How would Kant choose which one? In your article, he avoids the problem by ignoring any other categorical imperatives that might apply to the case. But that strikes me as intellectual cheating, and Kant isn't generally known as a cheat. So what gives, and why?
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 04:46 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
It's about his terms. At the very least, I'm saying that his general terms permit for the don't-lie imperative to be conditional and for the decrease-suffering-increase-happiness imperative to be categorical. There's no conflict in that with reason, or with his general formulation of the categorical imperative.

Oh, OK. In that case, you're wrong. Clearly, Kant thought that the rule against lying was in conformity with the categorical imperative. On the other hand, any rule that relied on the "rightness" of the consequences for the "rightness" of the act is, at best, only hypothetically imperative.

Thomas wrote:
So, what if I provided Kant with empirical evidence that this is false? That you can in fact have it both ways---save the victim's life with a lie and preserve the basis of all agreements (...)---by applying a different categorical imperative? Would evidence like that change his mind about the ethics of lying?

You think that empirical evidence would contradict a logical argument? It doesn't work that way. Kant was attempting to avoid empirical evidence in formulating an ethical system -- that was the whole point. He was looking for something that was a priori true, i.e. something that didn't rely on empirical evidence for its truth.

Thomas wrote:
Continuing to use you as a Kant-simulator: How does Kant resolve conflicts between categorical imperatives?

There can't be a conflict between categorical imperatives. There's only one. Even Kant's different formulations of the categorical imperative were, according to Kant, just variations on a single imperative. We can, for shorthand purposes, refer to the rule against lying as a "categorical imperative," but it's actually just an application of the categorical imperative to a particular act.

Thomas wrote:
For example, I'm pretty sure Kant would disapprove of a rule that permits assisting murderers. He would find that it, too, yields a contradiction and vitiates the source of right. Accordingly, he would conclude that there is a categorical imperative not to help murderers kill their victims. Now, when the murderer asks me if his victim is in the house, and if I don't have the option to be silent, I cannot help but disobey one of the two categorical imperatives at stake. How would Kant choose which one? In your article, he avoids the problem by ignoring any other categorical imperatives that might apply to the case. But that strikes me as intellectual cheating, and Kant isn't generally known as a cheat. So what gives, and why?

As far as I can recall, Kant doesn't really talk about conflicts among rules or "higher order" rules, probably because he didn't think such conflicts were possible. If the categorical imperative was based on logic and reason, and a conflict among ethical choices constituted a contradiction, then such a conflict would be impossible, since a contradiction represents a break with logic.
Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:24 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
You think that empirical evidence would contradict a logical argument? It doesn't work that way.

It does when the logical argument leads to conclusions about the real world, and when those conclusions turn out to be empirically false.

joefromchicago wrote:
There can't be a conflict between categorical imperatives. There's only one. Even Kant's different formulations of the categorical imperative were, according to Kant, just variations on a single imperative. We can, for shorthand purposes, refer to the rule against lying as a "categorical imperative," but it's actually just an application of the categorical imperative to a particular act.

Okay, now I have to ask: Does this make sense to you? I mean, does it make sense to you in the strong version where the only possible application is "don't lie ever", and not, for example, "tell lies if they're narrowly tailored to protect a compelling public interest. Otherwise tell the truth."?
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 09:58 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
It does when the logical argument leads to conclusions about the real world, and when those conclusions turn out to be empirically false.

That's not Kant. That's Thomas.

Thomas wrote:
Okay, now I have to ask: Does this make sense to you? I mean, does it make sense to you in the strong version where the only possible application is "don't lie ever", and not, for example, "tell lies if they're narrowly tailored to protect a compelling public interest. Otherwise tell the truth."?

It makes sense according to Kant's system of ethics.
Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 11:09 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:

That's not Kant. That's Thomas.

That's neither Kant nor Thomas. It's standard, Boolean logic.
  • Kant claims: 'A-->B';
  • B is false, as proven by empirical facts;
  • therefore, it must be the case that either Kant's premise A is false, or Kant's inference 'A-->B' is false, or both.
In this particular case, A is the Categorical Imperative and B is Kant's conclusion that 'contract law would become useless if people could ethically save prospective murder victims by lying to their wannabe murderers.' But my refutation is logically valid whatever A and B are---and whichever way Kant came up with 'A' and 'A-->B'.

Thomas wrote:
Okay, now I have to ask: Does this make sense to you? [...]

joefromchicago wrote:
It makes sense according to Kant's system of ethics.

Let me rephrase: Does Kant's system of ethics make sense to you?
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 11:58 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
That's neither Kant nor Thomas. It's standard, Boolean logic.
  • Kant claims: 'A-->B';
  • B is false, as proven by empirical facts;
  • therefore, it must be the case that either Kant's premise A is false, or Kant's inference 'A-->B' is false, or both.
In this particular case, A is the Categorical Imperative and B is Kant's conclusion that 'contract law would become useless if people could ethically save prospective murder victims by lying to their wannabe murderers.' But my refutation is logically valid whatever A and B are---and whichever way Kant came up with 'A' and 'A-->B'.

Is this a joke?

A statement can be logically valid and still be empirically false. Take, for instance, the syllogism:

All unicorns are white.
This is a unicorn.
Therefore, it is white.

That is a valid syllogism, even though there are no such things as unicorns. No matter how much empirical evidence you might provide, it doesn't disprove a logically valid argument. And your refutation isn't logically valid at all if it relies on empirical evidence for its proof.

Thomas wrote:
Let me rephrase: Does Kant's system of ethics make sense to you?

I've said before that I am more persuaded by John Rawls's argument regarding justice as fairness. Kant's argument is compelling but flawed.
Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 10:52 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

All unicorns are white.
This is a unicorn.
Therefore, it is white.

That is a valid syllogism, even though there are no such things as unicorns.

But if there are no unicorns, the line "this is a unicorn" must be false. The analogy in my syllogism would be that the line "the categorical imperative says that you cannot lie ever" is false. That's good enough to make my point.

Let me try a different line of reasoning. Although I didn't start "Critique of Practical Reason" yet, I did stumble over a Spark Note about Metaphysics of Morals in my local book shop. It is very adamant about a point you made earlier, which is that Kantian ethics is about evaluating intentions, not consequences.

This implies that the ethics of lying to a murderer depend on my reason for doing so---just as the ethics of following the Scout Law, or of asking what Jesus would do, or of asking not what my country can do for me but what I can do for my country. If I end up lying to a specific murderer in a specific case because my intention is to lie, I'm committing a wrong. But if I turn out to lie because the Categorical Imperative entails a duty to save savable lives, because I freely choose to serve that duty, and because sometimes the only way to save a life is to lie, I should be fine. After all, the lying in this case is merely a consequence of heeding the Categorical Imperative to save lives, and Kant doesn't care about consequences.

Correct?
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 11:09 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
But if there are no unicorns, the line "this is a unicorn" must be false.

It would be empirically false.

Thomas wrote:
The analogy in my syllogism would be that the line "the categorical imperative says that you cannot lie ever" is false. That's good enough to make my point.

To say that Kant's logic doesn't work because it's contrary to the way things work in the real world is to miss the point entirely. In effect, you're saying that Kant's system of ethics doesn't account for its real-world consequences, but that's just imposing a consequentialist mindset onto Kant's idealism. In other words, you're thinking like a utilitarian and criticizing Kant for not thinking the same way. That's just a form of question-begging.

Thomas wrote:
This implies that the ethics of lying to a murderer depend on my reason for doing so---just as the ethics of following the Scout Law, or asking what Jesus would do, or asking not what my country can do for me but what I can do for my country. If I end up lying to a specific murderer in a specific case because my intention is to lie, I'm committing a wrong. But if I turn out to lie because the Categorical Imperative entails a duty to save savable lives, because I freely choose to serve that duty, and because sometimes the only way to save a life is to lie, I should be fine. After all, the lying in this case is merely a consequence of heeding the Categorical Imperative to save lives, and Kant doesn't care about consequences.

Correct?

Why would you be fine if you lied? Kant clearly thought that you wouldn't be fine -- you'd be violating the categorical imperative. It's categorical for a reason -- it is mandatory and admits of no exceptions. If you save someone's life by lying, you're still lying. If you want to say that, in this situation, saving a life is better than telling the truth, then you're just being a consequentialist. If, on the other hand, you want to say that saving a life is more categorical than telling the truth, then you're positing a conflict that, I think, Kant did not believe was possible.
High Seas

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:39 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

To say that Kant's logic doesn't work because it's contrary to the way things work in the real world is to miss the point entirely.

That's true. If you allow me, Joe, I think I can explain it to Thomas faster than you have so far:

Thomas: Kant's imperative works like Heisenberg's "a", the probability amplitude. For any experiment "a" normally equals the sum of the 'a's for each of the various alternatives. But - if you can ever determine with certainty which alternative was in fact taken - then the probability of the event itself is changed.

In the 2-slit experiment, you lose the interference! That's why the categorical imperative has to remain categorical, and why there's one only.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:40 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
It would be empirically false.

...another arrogant idiot...

and just WHAT bottom line means "Empirically" false ???
What empirically addresses really ?
The "material" world ? he he he !!! Laughing
How wise is that...

Are n´t you a "cartoon" in the "Universal Program" you live in ?
You know nothing...really !!!
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:50 pm
There´s no Conflict in conflict (conflicting is consensual), nor telling the Truth is any way categorical, neither there´s any difference between Pragmatism/Utilitarianism and Theoretical...No such thing as Empirical versus Abstract or Rational, nor Natural versus Artificial, or Laws of Nature against Laws of Man, and so on and on and on...it ALL small minded reasoning !!! That simple !
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 01:00 pm
...I really enjoyed to the full of my soul, the "push the button" frustrated blokes playing around with thumbs !!! Mr. Green
Could n´t get much better ! Top of the Mountain !
0 Replies