FOOD PREPARATION HINTS

littlek

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 10:31 am
@littlek,
I use the microwave to saute garlic while onion is sauteing in a pan on the stove. This way I can add the garlic in late and not worry about it browning. One or two minced cloves covered with olive oil for 20-40 seconds.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 10:45 am
I use this IKEA garlic press, it's much faster than trying to thinly slice them,
and it super easy to clean.

http://accesstotools.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/ikea-garlic-press-a.jpg
farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 04:53 pm
@CalamityJane,
Sometimes you need to just slice the garlic and not moosh it up . It keeps its essential oils if it isnt bludgeoned into chunks.
We have one of the garlic presses and rarely use it because the garlic flavor is gone after about 5 minutes of cooking just moosh.

WHEN SPAGHETTI is about done, dont pull it off the stove, keep a big pitcher of icewater and pour it into the pot to stop the boil. The starch just relaxes the pasta and it keeps it nicely al denny .
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 07:11 pm
OK, here's another one:
Partially freezing meat (like steak) makes thin slicing (like for stir frying) much easier. Plus a good sharp knife is a big help, too, obviously.

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 03:17 am
@msolga,
Another handy hint: for new cooks, remembered from when I first seriously decided to learn to cook (not all that long ago, actually!):

Read the recipe carefully (if you need one, like I do), a few times over.
Till you get a good understanding of the sequence of events in the process.

Have all the ingredients lined up & ready to go, before you start to cook.
Then just follow the steps with confidence. No surprises! Smile

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 03:23 am
@msolga,
Following up on the advice to gather your ingredients together before proceeding with the recipe, there are many things that have adequate alternatives/substitutes. If you happen to be out of an herb or other produce item, check out this Cook's Thesaurus website to discover what substitutes are suggested. It is also a great site for learning more about specific types of food stuff.

The Cook's Thesaurus is a cooking encyclopedia that covers thousands of ingredients and kitchen tools. Entries include pictures, descriptions, synonyms, pronunciations, and suggested substitutions.
msolga

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 03:40 am
@Butrflynet,
Yes, indeed, Butrflynet.

Another useful "rule" for new cooks is to buy & cook fruit & vegetables which are in season, wherever you live.
The produce will be at its tastiest & best & will also be much less expensive than when not in season.
If a recipe calls for something rather exotic & not readily available, forget it & find an alternative recipe based on fresh & readily available local produce.
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 05:51 am
@msolga,
Subbing yogurt for any recipe that calls for cream.
Also, any biscuit or johny cake recipe that calls for milk, I always use orange juice or sugar sweetened soda instead. It gives the biscuits a different taste .
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 09:44 am
@farmerman,
You also could substitute with apple sauce instead of orange juice.

I have several pots with herbs outside and I use fresh herbs to just about
every meal, it makes such a difference in taste.

To make it easier to peel cooked eggs, put them in ice water for a few moments (after they're cooked)
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 10:37 am
@CalamityJane,
AHHHH, theres one I need. I am always eatimng hard cooked eggs and we have very fresh eggs layed by our own contented , happy hens. SO they are a bitch to peel when cooked.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 11:04 am
@CalamityJane,
The garlic press seriously changes the flavor of garlic.

Here's my grandpa's old one: the easiest way to butter an ear of corn? Butter some bread or a biscuit and just twirl it around inside.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 11:19 am
@farmerman,
If you take them off the pot, pour the hot water out and cold water in, then crack them all quite a bit and leave them for a few minutes, the shells will peel right off. Cracking allows the water to get under the shell.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 11:22 am
@CalamityJane,
Putting boiled eggs in ice water also prevents the yolks from getting discolored. To peel them, you can just put them on a cutting board, and roll them under your hand with light pressure, which breaks the shell around the center. They peel very easily then.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 12:45 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
OK, here's another one:
Partially freezing meat (like steak) makes thin slicing (like for stir frying) much easier. Plus a good sharp knife is a big help, too, obviously.

That's one I use a lot. I also read that I should keep bacon in the freezer since the high fat content wouldn't let it freeze all the way and made it easier to just lop off a small amount when needed. I think there's something wrong with my freezer, though, since the bacon froze solid!!!
Mame

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 02:28 pm
@Irishk,
My bacon always freezes all the way through, but you can chop it into sizes you use and individually wrap them in Saran and then throw them in a baggie then into the freezer. They thaw faster that way. I do that with all sorts of things that are reaching their best before date like green onions, herbs, chili peppers, croutons, grated cheese, etc.
Irishk

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 02:40 pm
@Mame,
Thanks. I'm going to have to start doing that because I hate to think of all the bacon we've had to throw out once it turned that funny color before we had a chance to use it all. I didn't even know you could freeze cheese. We generally gobble that up pretty fast.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 03:33 pm
@Irishk,
I freeze rice and quinoa all the time. Works great, especially brown rice - cook up a big ol' batch on the weekend and then have it for lunch during the week.

Cycloptichorn
Ceili

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 04:22 pm
@Irishk,
I always buy a big brick of Mozzerella and freeze it straight away. They when I'm making something that needs grated Mozza, I cut off a chunk and let it warm on the counter. It crumbles up perfectly and I don't have to grate it.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 04:32 pm
I always store jarred things, like jams, sauces, etc, upside down in the pantry. This seals the lid area and does not let air get into the bottle. Stays fresher longer.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 04:49 pm
@CalamityJane,
Mrs F ws reading this and she said to tell Clammity that she will use applesauce instead of cooking oil in many cake batters. It makes the cake moister and cuts down on the fat. Ive never know the difference in taste or texture even in a german chocolqte cake