Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 04:09 am
Most such displays just want to inform you of whether or not the metric is within a normal range. It's much more sensible to use analogue, because then you don't have to make a calculation for each guage.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 04:11 am
Here's a good example from a nuclear power plant control room:

http://hackedgadgets.com/wp-content/2/russian_nuclear_power_plant_control_room_2.jpg

Note the combination of analogue displays, digital displays, and data read-out displays.
0 Replies

Proxima

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 07:35 am
@Setanta,
Well it depends on what focus group you are talking too. I know some kids who type in texting lingo just because it is faster and speak better english than some adults. I also know some kids who when they try to talk to me I can barely understand. I believe that they will probably end up in those menial jobs that don't really require coherent speacking skills. As I said, it depends on who you are talking about
JTT

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 11:35 am
@Proxima,
Quote:
Well it depends on what focus group you are talking too.

It always has. Things aren't any different these days than they were hundreds of years ago or fifty years ago. This is nothing more than a bunch of old farts whining because that's what old farts do.

0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 01:42 pm
See the analog meters...nope!
http://www.myflukestore.com/g40/electrical.php?gclid=CJKinMjX4qYCFQwCbAodFxXYzw

Further, try finding someone that can properly/accurately read an analog multi-scale VOM...and I teach analog metering. For better or worse it's a dieing display technology.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 01:59 pm
dying
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 02:00 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
So, goys and birls, do you think that this means a permanent underclass of the semi- to inarticulate will have created itself?

It didn't create itself; it's BEEN created by government schools, the NEA, and the demo-KKK-rat party.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 02:03 pm
There's analogue meters all over the walls in that picture, genius. The point, which you are probably too dim to get, is that diplays of values withing ranges are much easier to track with an analogue dial than with a digital readout. It wasn't a reference to hand-held meters, bright boy--your link is meaningless.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 02:03 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I am concerned with what seems to be a general dumbing down in America, but I've no idea what can be done about it.

Best would be to outlaw and ban the demokkkrat party, which isn't likely to happen.

Second best would be a voters' bill of rights, the most major feature of which would be instant runoff elections for all public office. THAT would allow some third party to rise up and supplant the dems in a natural manner. At present that's generally impossible since voting for a third party candidate is almost always indistinguishable from voting for your least favorite candidate.
JTT

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 02:08 pm
@gungasnake,
Finn's concern,

I am concerned with what seems to be a general dumbing down in America,

and you just happen along to illustrate his point, Gunga.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 02:14 pm
Mind you there is the numeric display/ladder/graph hybrid which combines some of the visual elements of both analog and digital, but does so using an LCD or equivalent in combination with digital support circuitry, thus no actual analog. As discussed analog is dying as the major metering manufacturers will attest. Even the venerable wattmeter is mostly digital now.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 02:25 pm
Anybody who thinks the dumbing down process is accidental or anything like that needs to read and/or watch some of this stuff about kids' brains being annihilated by the garbage which has replaced the three Rs in our government schools these days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1qee-bTZI

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » DUMBING DOWN
  3. » Page 4
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:41:56