roger

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 04:19 pm
@Setanta,
I'm sure their own senator is more familiar with their potential than the rest of us. What next, though, chewing gum while walking?
Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 04:21 pm
@roger,
In fact, the proposed legislation includes wearing an ipod while crossing the street. The claim is that people who text or listen to ipods while crossing the street endanger themselves or others. They said one boy was killed crossing the street while listening to his ipod, when a truck backing up crushed him--he couldn't hear the back up signal on the truck.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 04:24 pm
for me it isn't so much the BRB and LOLs, it's the en1 crap.
Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 04:26 pm
@Mame,
Yeah . . . and 2 for to, two and too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 04:27 pm
@Setanta,
That's interesting.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 04:28 pm
@Setanta,
Well, then texting in malls while walking... (a now famous video showing the pitfalls of that).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 04:48 pm
Yeah, one of the vignettes of the radio broadcast was of a woman who was talking to an interviewer, and texting, while walking through a mall. She walked right into a concrete pillar.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 05:09 pm
@Setanta,
We have the video on a thread here.. back in a bit.

Or maybe this is two videos. The one I saw was a woman texting while walking and then quickly flopping into a mall pool and quickly getting back out.
I'm interested in all this as a past interested person about public safety in landscape design. There's a famous guy, who worked up swell urban fountain designs, based on the idea of here it is, be careful and have fun, concept was about known danger. I'm plotzing on his name. I eventually got tired of his name, shame on me.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 05:43 pm
@ossobuco,
All right, it's Lawrence Halprin, the link a mere wisp of his importance a while ago. He was very influential at some point.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Halprin
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 11:41 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
So, i am also interested in the idea that kids adopt texting speak to be cool, and to demonstrate that they have thrown off the oppressive yoke of standard English.

But I always thought it was more a matter of convenience. So, I'll confess to using the abbreviations when texting on my impossibly tiny phone with the impossibly tiny buttons -- i.e., 'Luv 2 c u l8tr'. (Give me a full-size keyboard, however, and that becomes 'Love to see you later'.)

So, for some I think it depends on the device.

But, back to your main concern, the BBC reported on a study that addresses this very thing a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Text speak, rather than harming literacy, could have a positive effect on the way children interact with language, says a study.

0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 11:45 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
...I heard on the radio the other morning that only a fraction of today's youth can tie their shoes (up to age 8), read an analog clock, or do long division, so I don't doubt we are becoming dumbed down...
I'll bet you cannot read much in the analog display world either. In fact most people cannot, and historically most people have not been able to. In truth, analog displays (as they relate to the various forms of measurement) are losing relevance given digital displays.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 11:51 am
@Chumly,
Analog clocks or watches will likely be with us for hundreds of years to come for reasons of style.

The same for physical books.

Gas fireplaces are far more efficent and convenient than their wood burning kin, and yet many people insist on having the latter.

Chumly

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 12:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Pick me up YYYY (Sexagesimal) / BSF Witworth sized spark plugs for my external combustion engine when you're at Pep Boys.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 12:09 pm
@Chumly,
did you check the muffler bearing?
Chumly

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 12:11 pm
@Rockhead,
I need to check the dwell after setting the point gap, only I can't find my strobe and the vacuum advance has a leak.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 12:13 pm
@Chumly,
are you gonna synchronize the carburetors...?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 12:13 pm
@Chumly,
Some technological antiques will not be available or will be very expensive, but thinks like analog watches and books will not need to be preserved, they will continue to be manufactured...and probably cost, relatively speaking, more than they do today.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 12:19 pm
@Rockhead,
Well if I do not then the vacuum will be unequal and it will not run smoothly. I'll get out my murcury tubes!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 03:46 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Additionally, on large displays such as those at electrical generating statios, analogue displays are crucially important, because operators can look at an array of dials to see if they are in normal ranges, whereas looking at the same array of digital readouts would require them to make a decision on each display as to whether or not the number displayed is in normal range. This is true not just in electrical generating stations, but it is most commonly seen there.
roger

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 03:53 am
@Setanta,
Damn. I've been in power plant operating rooms and never noticed. On the other hand, they've been radically updated since that part of my working life.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » DUMBING DOWN
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 08:28:43