how do you determine the quality of adhesive vinyl?

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:34 pm
I have two vinyls with me. One has a lot of little square pockets on the adhesive side and one is smooth. I'm assuming the one with the pockets makes for better vinyl. Can anyone confirm this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,871 • Replies: 5
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:45 pm
@crayon851,
I suppose it depends on where they're supposed to go.

I wouldn't think you'd want something with a contoured bottom if you were applying it to the floor since the contour would eventually make the floor lumpy.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 10:29 pm
@crayon851,
i can assure you vinyl tiles are rubbish

i like to lay it on thick

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 11:06 pm
@crayon851,
I disagree with Boomer, often tiles that have a contoured base are much more likely to sit straight because the depressions leave room for the glue to even out. Where as, with a smooth tile, it's too easy to have the glue glom up on one side or another.
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 11:54 am
sorry can you explain what a contoured bottom is? I'd just like to know whether the quality is based on the small pockets on the adhesive side, as I assume they have "bubble free" technology.

thanks,
boomerang

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:03 pm
@crayon851,
Are they vinyl tiles or sheet vinyl? Are they on rigid backing or not? Are the pockets full of adhesive or do they just create a pattern for the mastic to latch on to? Can you link to the product you're talking about? Is it for a floor or a wall?
0 Replies