North Carolina tea baggers and disintegration - is this a fair assessment

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 06:49 am
Is Colbert's take on this (minus the humorous hyperbole) accurate? Are the figures he quotes real? Are there coherent arguments for disintegration in Wake County?

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/371414/january-18-2011/the-word---disintegration
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,910 • Replies: 6
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 07:44 am
@hingehead,
I think his take is accurate and I think his numbers are real.

And it isn't just the tea baggers and it isn't just Wake County, North Carolina,. We've had a lot of discussion here on A2K about it. Many people think the poor are stupid and lazy (yes, they think this about children) and that they're dragging down their smart and energetic children by making school slow down to accommodate those who don't learn as quickly.

This "dumbing down" is why China (or insert just about anywhere in the world) is totally going to kick our ass (or something).

Coherent?

I don't think so but it seems that many people do.
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 07:46 am
http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/03/05/article/allen_johnson_wake_county_ditches_its_school_diversity_policy
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 07:56 am
Thanks Boomer and Punkey. It saddens me, thanks for the clarifications.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 09:40 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I think his take is accurate and I think his numbers are real.

And it isn't just the tea baggers and it isn't just Wake County, North Carolina,. We've had a lot of discussion here on A2K about it. Many people think the poor are stupid and lazy (yes, they think this about children) and that they're dragging down their smart and energetic children by making school slow down to accommodate those who don't learn as quickly.

This "dumbing down" is why China (or insert just about anywhere in the world) is totally going to kick our ass (or something).

Coherent?

I don't think so but it seems that many people do.
Not stupid and lazy.... They are confused and hopeless.... Everything seems to be working for other people but the system is in the final process of chewing them up and spitting them out... About as Lincoln described one of his generals: Like a duck that's been hit on the head... We will all be like them some day, and the few who are making it can point at us and say: Lazy and stupid...
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:26 am
@hingehead,
The argument in Wake County and other areas is a rehash of the busing argument. Parents don't want to have their students bused across town when there is a perfectly good school a mile away. Since neighborhoods are segregated both racially and economically, "neighborhood schools" will necessarily be segregated as well.
boomerang

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:51 am
@engineer,
But parents are perfectly willing to drive their kid the same distance to attend a private or charter school even when there's a perfectly good neighborhood school.
0 Replies