Slightly unsure about courses.

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 05:38 am
Hello, my name is Serena and I am thinking about undertaking a proof reading/copy editing distance learning course. I am, however, unsure as to which company/learning centre I should go with. I have two brochures, one from chapterhouse publishing, which offers the courses at a january sale discount, the other is the publishing training centre, which provides much more expensive courses that to me appear to have the same outcome as the latter place. Which do you, forum, think I should go for?

Also, one final question. when you do qualify and get work, how does the tax work? I mean, do you have to do self assessments or does the persons/company that you are working for at the time deduct the tax before they send you out the money?

Please someone get back to me about this.
Many, many thanks in advance,

Serena Murray

Roberta

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:03 am
Hi Serena, I can't possibly evaluate the courses without knowing what's covered. I also can't evaluate the quality of the training. However, I can tell you about the taxes. Publishing companies in the United States do not deduct money for taxes. They do report earning for taxes, so you are responsible for paying your taxes, usually on a quarterly basis.

Good luck with your training. Sorry I couldn't be more help with that.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 08:59 am
Just curioous: after these classes/training what would be your certification?

Are you in the business now, perhaps as entry level?

If you go solo, you might set yourself up as an independent contractor.

Companies would pay you for your services, then give you a 1099 at the end of the year. You would be responsbile for filing your own taxes, based on your income.
Serenacutie7

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 04:47 am
This is what chapterhouse publishignsays. Now remember this is in the UK.

"Chapterhouse was founded in 1991 by Course Directors Daisy Crowther and Richard Littler, who continue to teach regularly today. The Proofreading and Editorial Skills course was the first editorial correspondence course in the world.

Richard and Daisy both have first-class publishing pedigrees: Richard was Executive Director of Lloyd’s of London Press, and Daisy was Promotion Manager at Butterworths. Both have extensive freelance experience in book publishing and for major institutions, charities and government departments.

Because Chapterhouse has a reputation for integrity and high standards, its certificates are "recognised by the industry" (Daily Express). Our Certificate of Competence is a recommendation from us confirming that we believe you are able to work professionally in publishing. There is no official body which validates proofreading and editing qualifications, and there is no official national body which awards you "letters after your name". That's why our certificates are so valuable.

Our reputation as "an internationally renowned publishing training body" (Writers’ Forum) rests upon Chapterhouse’s most important foundation: the experience, track-record and ability of our tutors and the quality of our courses."
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 07:03 am
Is there information concerning what's covered in the courses?
Serenacutie7

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 05:47 pm
@Roberta,
yeah on their web site page. same with the publishing training centre. thanks for those links roberta. really appreciate the advice.
0 Replies

Serenacutie7

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 05:48 pm
@PUNKEY,
thanks for your feedback. Smile
0 Replies

Karona

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 07:26 pm
@Serenacutie7,
Hi Serena,
I am having the same dilemma. Did you get an answer to your question and which course did you choose?
Karen
Serenacutie7

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 12:01 pm
@Karona,
hi Karona, yes i choce to go with chapterhouse. am working on my main assignment now, but i am terrified to send it off incase i fail. they are very tough markers, as ai can understande, but if you don't get a straight B or above, then you fail.
Ragman

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 12:17 pm
@Serenacutie7,
How ironic. You want to do a proof-reading course and create a post with typos. I'm just saying...
Serenacutie7

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:14 am
@Ragman,
am not a good typist that's why am not learning to become a typestter. if you have nothing nice to say, then please refrain from commenting.
spidergal

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:42 am
You can check out the courses offered at Mediabistro. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link on here.

I've gotten mixed reviews about their courses. Some people say the courses are too expensive for the amount of stuff they actually teach, but there's no harm in going to the website and taking a look.

You can also consider purchasing books on copyediting/proofreading - I'm sure you'll find many on Amazon.com and BN.com.

Good luck!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 07:22 am
@Serenacutie7,
Sorry, Serena, but my reaction was the same as ragman's. Being a poor typist is not an excuse for mistakes. I usually don't pay attention to mistakes on a2k, but your topic is proofreading.

I appreciate that you don't want negative remarks, but consider the situation. Another thread, and I probably wouldn't have noticed.
Serenacutie7

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 10:32 am
@Roberta,
i don't think they are the same thing at all. technology is not my strong point, as is typing, but i can read and spell.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 10:42 am
@Serenacutie7,
I was merely pointing out irony. It is to laugh. Sorry you don't see the humor.
Serenacutie7

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 10:45 am
@Ragman,
am just really nervous about getting my results and i know that typing isn't my strong point. don't need people criticising me when they don't even know me. but yes i do see your humourous side.
0 Replies