hidden behind religious attitudes to other topics that have no real link with morality?

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 08:57 am
Here's a problem: the author (Dawkins), after saying " This is important, because moral considerations lie hidden behind religious attitudes to other topics that have no real link with morality", immediately gives us an example of one of the "other topics" - Darwinian evolution, which sarcastically has real link to morality (the passage or the context is exactly under the chapter title "The root of morality: why are we good?"). Because according Dawkins, Darwinian process, rather than God, gave birth to morality.

Has Dawkins expressed it unsatisfactorily?

Context:

Many religious people find it hard to imagine how, without religion, one can be good, or would even want to be good. I shall discuss such questions in this chapter. But the doubts go further, and drive some religious people to paroxysms of hatred against those who don't share their faith. This is important, because moral considerations lie hidden behind religious attitudes to other topics that have no real link with morality. A great deal of the opposition to the teaching of evolution has no connection with evolution itself, or with anything scientific, but is spurred on by moral outrage. This
ranges from the naive 'If you teach children that they evolved from monkeys, then they will act like monkeys' to the more sophisticated underlying motivation for the whole 'wedge' strategy of 'intelligent design', as it is mercilessly laid bare by Barbara Forrest and Paul Gross in Creationism's Trojan Horse: The Wedge of Intelligent Design.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,356 • Replies: 8
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 04:07 pm
@oristarA,
It got sunk so fast?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 04:18 pm
@oristarA,
Morality, Ori, is relative to the subject. Many Kenyans apparently think it's perfectly okay to impregnate one's own daughter

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/entertainment/thenairobian/article/2000123763/high-number-of-defilement-cases-in-kenya-survey-shows?pageNo=1

….while all sorts of murder takes place every day on purely religious grounds, some of which treat Porky, intelligent as a 3-year-old humanoid, with the utmost indifference, hanging him by the hind legs and cutting his throat so he bleeds to death before slaughtering and eating him
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 04:33 pm
No offence to atheists, but my life experience has always been that you can never trust atheists because they care only about themselves.
True Christians on the other hand will NEVER let anybody down; they don't do it because religion tells them to, they do it because it's IN THEIR NATURE..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/gods-dna-church-sml_zpsd267b622.jpg~original
oristarA

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 11:55 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Morality, Ori, is relative to the subject. Many Kenyans apparently think it's perfectly okay to impregnate one's own daughter

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/entertainment/thenairobian/article/2000123763/high-number-of-defilement-cases-in-kenya-survey-shows?pageNo=1

….while all sorts of murder takes place every day on purely religious grounds, some of which treat Porky, intelligent as a 3-year-old humanoid, with the utmost indifference, hanging him by the hind legs and cutting his throat so he bleeds to death before slaughtering and eating him

Look like a news report from a tabloid in Kenya with no professors commenting on it.
Can you find the original study report, Dale?
oristarA

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 12:03 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

No offence to atheists, but my life experience has always been that you can never trust atheists because they care only about themselves.
True Christians on the other hand will NEVER let anybody down; they don't do it because religion tells them to, they do it because it's IN THEIR NATURE..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/gods-dna-church-sml_zpsd267b622.jpg~original

A Christian has God's DNA?
Sounds like a point from ID (intelligent design) theory which has been rebuffed by true Christian Francis Collins, director of the National Institute of Health in his remarkable book The Language of God. Note that Collins was exactly the leader of the international Human Genome Project. No God's DNA was found in the human genome there.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 05:39 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Yet you're a racist...
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 09:27 am
Quote:
Oristar said: A Christian has God's DNA?
Sounds like a point from ID (intelligent design) theory which has been rebuffed by true Christian Francis Collins, director of the National Institute of Health.... No God's DNA was found in the human genome there.

If "true christian" Collins is a true christian, I'm Mary Poppins..Smile
He should know that God is a spirit, and spirits can't be seen by x-rays and scans or anything else!
All true Christians have got God and Jesus inside them-
Jesus said- “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them" (John 14:23)

that's why true Christians are kool, calm, good-natured, sensible nice people.
Atheists are therefore "empty" people and uptight, jumpy, irritable and sour-minded..Smile
Kirk's atheist impression-

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 10:53 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Can you find the original study report, Dale?
Nah Ori, sorry. Maybe somewhere here:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=kenya+sex+daughter
0 Replies