station = the hero = the main role in the nover ?

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 05:43 am

Context:

Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born (as I have been informed and believe) on a Friday, at twelve o'clock at night. It was remarked that the clock began to strike, and I began to cry, simultaneously.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,075 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 05:55 am
@oristarA,
Yes, hero means the main chartacter in the novel. (Role would only be used for a play or a motion picture.) Station means the position which someone or something occupies within a context. Fore example, one might station one's troops near the border of a hostile country. One might station one's fire-fighting equipment in a forest. A person who is a minister in a nation's government would be said to occupy a high station in life.

In this case, station means the position of the most important person in the life of David Copperfield. Station is referential to the word hero.
oristarA

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 09:32 am
@Setanta,
Thanks
0 Replies