Nikon d3100: adventures with a new camera

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 07:54 pm
I just bought on of these DSLs.

They are able to shoot RAW images, which is great. The camera comes with a software through which I can view and save the RAW images, but not one through which I can really manipulate the RAW images. Each time I try to open the saved RAW images with the given software, my computer wants to reinstall the software.

I see three choices:
1) convert them all to JPGs and manipulate as usual. But then I lose the benefit of RAW images.
2) buy a new software which will allow me to manipulate RAW images. They can be pricey, though there may be some open source softwares out there.
3) shoot in JPGs. This sort of defeats the purpose of buying an SLR.

Now my card is full and I am afraid to clear it until I have this figured out.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,742 • Replies: 5
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 08:05 pm
@littlek,
I'd abandon the proprietary software for some well reviewed open source program. Either it installed in a glitchy manner or it's a piece of garbage software in the first place. Perhaps you need a patch for the program?

Well firstly... what is the name of the program used?

Would GIMP serve your needs (it's free!)?
http://download.cnet.com/GIMP/3000-2192_4-10073935.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1d
littlek

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 08:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
Nikon's ViewNX2 is what I was given.

I saw GIMP in my browsing the web. I'll check it out.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 08:11 pm
@littlek,
I've used GIMP for awhile but still its scope it beyond my present need. I suppose if you dabbled in Photoshop it would seem familiar to you and not so overwhelming.
littlek

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 08:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have photoshop, but my version is old and doesn't process RAW. I downloaded GIMP, but it doesn't seem to see my RAW images. I am considering DCRAW which seems to work with GIMP?
Ceili

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 09:19 pm
@littlek,
I never shoot RAW anymore. I've read many a blog or website from the pros and they rarely do either. The files are huge, take too long to download and unless you've got umpteen amounts of times to process photos, you can do most fixes with Jpegs now anyways.
But congrats on the new camera, I'm sure it will bring you much happiness.
0 Replies