Eating spinach

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 05:56 am
Okay, I can't cook right now. Don't know how to and have no equipment for it either. I can only boil things in an electric kettle.

I've been meaning to inculcate more raw foods, especially green leafy vegetables, into my diet. I was never a spinach fan. Mom used to prepare a dry spinach/potato sabzi at home. I ate it for the sake of eating, never because I liked spinach. But now I'm ready to give the green vegetable a second chance. I was wondering what risks does eating it raw carry? Would it be better to boil it and then eat? For how long should I boil it, etc.?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,108 • Replies: 5
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 06:05 am
@spidergal,
I love raw spinach in a salad with onions , spinach leaves, and figs, in a nice balsamic . Just a little PArmesan on top.
spidergal

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 06:20 am
@farmerman,
Thanks.
I think I can't eat raw/boiled spinach without cheese, but I'm also trying to reduce weight - and hence the transmission to raw foods - and that would completely defeat the purpose of it.
mismi

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 07:47 am
@spidergal,
I have found that texture tends to be the issue when it comes to spinach. It is actually my favorite of the leafy vegetables. If it is washed well there is no issue eating it raw. Steaming it for just about 30 seconds wilts it enough that it takes away the chewy texture which helps some folks. I love it with chopped tomatoes, garlic and a pinch of sea salt...slightly steamed. It is quite tasty!

Farmerman - that sounds awesome. I am going to make that salad for my family.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 07:51 am
packaged leaf spinach has had trouble with e-coli contamination, it needs to be thoroughly washed

i love raw spinach, spinach, mushrooms, pine nuts, orange slices, with a vinaigrette made with orange juice instead of vinegar, yumm
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 08:09 am
I have never had an issue with spinach and I have been on a raw diet for a while.

I dont like to EAT leafy stuff.. it just doesnt do a lot for my taste pallet.
What I do is I take a very LARGE handful of spinach, kale, a super brown banana and a little cucumber. Throw all of that in the blender , add about 1/2 cup or less sweet almond milk and some water....and blend it until it is pure mush.
It actually tastes good and you get more greens in one glass then you do in one meal.
I can have a few a day, but at the very minimum, I have one every morning.
0 Replies