Aircraft loop

West

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 05:02 am
Is it possible for an large passenger aircraft like a Boeing 747 or A340 to make a loop? I belief this has never been done before and is not possible, but it would be one gaint loop!.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,081 • Replies: 6
No top replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 05:20 am
Bookmarking. I think not, but I'd be interested to learn different.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 06:49 am
i believe, in one of the pAris Air SHows, they took an Airbus and did a loop.
I know that the 747 frame and outfitted as Air Force 1 is capable of some hairy stunts (Im sure they take the service stuff out)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 08:43 am
I also think very large planes -- can't really say which -- are structured to take enormous stresses.

I know NASA uses a very large plane to make loops for the purposes of training astronauts about some aspects of weightlessness.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:57 am
A few years ago, a test pilot rolled a large Boeing airliner. It seems to me that I once read something about an airliner making a loop during a demonstration ... Paris Air Show? I don't recall where I read the report; for many years I had a half a dozen aviation oriented periodicals to keep up with. Thankfully, in the years leading up to retirement I canceled first all the monthly magazines, then all the weekly/dailies. No more newspapers, of any sort. Now I barely watch the television news unless there is something of intense interest. Lately, Natalie has been slowly adding magazines again, The Atlantic, Time, and the Smithsonian. I suppose I'll have to put my foot down after the first of the year. It gets tiring holding your foot six inches off the ground for decades on end. In Januaary we will have been married for forty years.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:15 am
There are lots of times where large aircraft have made barrel rolls but I've never seen a report of any completeing an actual loop.

The NASA plane Frank mentioned is a KC-135 (military version of a Boeing 707 which NASA refers to as "The Zero Gravity Plane".) bit it doesn't actually perform a loop. They fly to max altitude and then go into a straight nose-down dive which simluates weighlessness in the cargo bay.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:18 am
fishin' wrote:
There are lots of times where large aircraft have made barrel rolls but I've never seen a report of any completeing an actual loop.

The NASA plane Frank mentioned is a KC-135 (military version of a Boeing 707 which NASA refers to as "The Zero Gravity Plane".) bit it doesn't actually perform a loop. They fly to max altitude and then go into a straight nose-down dive which simluates weighlessness in the cargo bay.

You are correct.

I remember now.
0 Replies