I have been adopted by skinks

ragnel

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 09:12 pm
About ten days ago two largish skinks surfaced in my house. They are too fast for me to catch, and I have left my front door open so they can go outside, but they don't appear to have the slightest interest in doing so.

For the first few days they would tentatively explore the kitchen and dining room, gradually coming closer to watch me. Now, they seem to be totally fearless of me and will spend time sitting under my chair. I am afraid I will step on one or both as I tend to move suddenly. I know they eat insects, which is a plus, but most critters that get inside are taken care of by surface spray insecticide. I also fear my skinks will eat sick or dead insects and be poisoned by the spray.

I like skinks, but I do wish they would leave, I can't help but worry about them.

Can anyone offer me suggestions as to how to evict them?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 5,256 • Replies: 11
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 09:26 pm
@ragnel,
Stop using insecticides and let these free loaders do their natural thing. If they get stepped on it's they're fault for not paying attention to where the giants lay their feet.

I don't suppose you could snap a few photographs? This sounds fascinating. If I had a bug problem, I'd volunteer to adopt these guys but I only have the rare mouse problem which pops up about twice a year.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 11:27 pm
@ragnel,
are they big enough to make soup...?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 11:42 pm
@Rockhead,
Perish the thought!

If they were geckos then yes they'd be open season for snacking on. Just ask Dyslexia but they're not so keep your paws off of those cute skinks!!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 11:46 pm
they'll leave when theres nothing to eat. In the meantime enjoy.
0 Replies

Mitzy

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 12:24 am
@ragnel,
Saddle one of them up and I could ride it instead of on public transportation here in NYC. Cheaper and safer then taxis. More reliable then buses. Fuel would be free as there are plenty of bugs to eat in NYC.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 01:36 am
@ragnel,
Awwww...I would love to have skinks in y house!!!

I suspect they'll go away over tie as they wo'nt have enough to eat in the house.
ragnel

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 10:12 pm
@dlowan,
Caught the little buggers in the act this morning. They were sitting on the doorstep when I opened the door and as soon as they saw me they ran inside!

I killed a funnel web spider in the house a couple of weeks ago (so the insecticide STAYS) - mating season - and snakes are also supposed to be very active at the moment in our gardens. I wonder if the skinks feel safer inside?

One of them actually came and sat on my foot a couple of times. The tiny little feet tickled so much! I tried to stay very still, but after a minute or so the tickling was too much for me and I had to move.

Their toilet training leaves much to be desired.
dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 01:41 am
@ragnel,
You've seen the fabled skink ****?

O rare and fortunate one!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 01:43 am
@ragnel,
I'm rather fond of skinks.

I wish my cat was, too! Sad
roger

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 02:24 am
@msolga,
Mine loves them, and he's a very hard cat to distract. If only they would learn to move like bugs instead of twitchy little lizards. . . .
msolga

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 04:08 am
@roger,
Yeah, I know, roger. Sad

I keep coming across tragic skink remains (I'm not going to to the details, it's OK) ..... or else I'm constantly having to rescue them from you-know-who, & take them outside and deposit them in the garden.

No skink sightings inside so far this summer, though ...
So far so good.

0 Replies