Curiosity? Who actually likes Harry Potter?

MrIVI

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 11:21 am
I know religious conservatives don’t like it because of the witchcraft, and those of the occult don’t like it because of its ludicrous portrayal of witchcraft. So who likes it? Non-religious types? I’m just curious.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 2,889 • Replies: 17

djjd62

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 11:37 am
me, thats who
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 11:38 am
@MrIVI,
Judging from his appearances on television, it would have to be some other guys...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 11:39 am
@MrIVI,
MrIVI wrote:

I know religious conservatives don’t like it because of the witchcraft, and those of the occult don’t like it because of its ludicrous portrayal of witchcraft. So who likes it? Non-religious types? I’m just curious.
They don't mind magic... They don't like black magic..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 11:46 am
@MrIVI,
Why do you think religious types don't like it?

I happen to love it and not be religious BUT I know many many people who are religious who love it too and just percentages-wise it couldn't be as wildly popular as it is without a large religious following.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 12:28 pm
I like it very much, and, while I don't profess to me a member of any Faith, I believe in God and don't have a whole lot of problem with people who are religious -- including Wiccans.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 04:12 pm
Many religious folk (including Wiccans) are clear on the "fiction" concept.
Some, alas, are not.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 04:20 pm
@MrIVI,
I think the majority of Americans are not conservatively religious, wiccan or non-religious. I mean, most Americans are mildly to moderately (non-wiccan) religious.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 05:14 pm
I thought they were good reads. I think there are a very few people who don't care for them for religious reasons, but that doesn't mean that religious people don't like them.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 05:21 pm
@MrIVI,
I really enjoyed the first couple, but got really annoyed in the middle that Harry is too cocky and really not very bright.

Thought the last book came out of left field and could really have used some editing.

I'm a non-churchgoing person, but I, too, am aware of many church goers who enjoyed the series.

I think the folks wailing about witchcraft are more in the line of attention whores than anything else.
0 Replies

rapper4life

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 09:46 pm
harry potter sucks!!!!!!!!
djjd62

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 05:58 am
@rapper4life,
really, oh man, now i'm gonna have to re-evaluate my whole life
Green Witch

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 07:24 am
@djjd62,
I told you not to waste your money of that flying broom.
djjd62

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 07:40 am
@Green Witch,
yeah, stupid thing barely hovered, still, it was handy for getting the cobwebs off the ceiling
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 10:30 pm
I liked the books quite a bit. I actually began re-reading them a few days ago because I realized I had not read them for several years. I am very religious, though neither Christian or Wiccan. I have heard of a lot of religious groups speaking out against the books based on the use of witch craft and think it quite ludicrous.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 11:07 pm
I read the first four books and thought they were good. I recall wishing they had been available when I was a kid. But I did not have the unflagging interest to complete the task. If I were a kid, I would have done so, I think.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 12:27 pm
@MrIVI,
I haven't read the books, but have watched all the movies several times over. Needless to say, I love them.

It has nothing to do with my non-religiousness, for sure. I've always had an affinity for fiction based on magic, ghosts, etc. Maybe I'll be loathed in certain non-believer circles for such paradoxical inclinations, but I can't help it really.

The child in me just loves that stuff.
0 Replies

dobey

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 10:33 am
@MrIVI,
Who doesn't? I think the book is so popular because its about a boy who is still scared but does the right thing anyway.
0 Replies