... and then I don't feel so bad.

cavfancier

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:49 am
Actually, I haven't Eastree. Maybe that's why I'm still miserable.
0 Replies

Eastree

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:51 am
sorry to hear it ...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:53 am
You and the missus need o have a kid, cav. Then you can live out this fantasy.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:27 am
<bm>
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:48 am
Nimh, if you need to have a bowel movement, have the courtesy to do it in one of the political threads . . . sheesh . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 11:54 am
Just got my new parka. Holds up very nicely in the shower. Will have to find more excuses to wander around in the cold. Damn snow melted yesterday, though, so now the boring brown ground is back...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 11:55 am
Have the lakes frozen yet?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 06:42 pm
It's snowing here right now. That lovely, fluffy, quiet kind of snow. Getting ready to get out there and get some snowflakes stuck on me. Very Happy
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:16 pm
My mother would make one German handed down cookie recipie at Christmastime, and when I told that man looking for good German food (okay..so cookies arent food, but still) he had never heard of them. I thought I wouldnt find the recipie in time for Christmas...NO idea where Moms recipie book is at the moment...and so, decided to take a gander and see if they would come up in a search.
I not only spelled it right the first time....they are VERY popular it seems.
Interesting.
Anyone else make these? Heard of these? Perhaps its an internet consipiracy to make me believe they are real? Very Happy

Quote:

Pfeffernusse Kuchen
"These are some spicy little guys. This cookie is traditionally served with black coffee."
4 eggs
2 1/4 cups white sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon ground black pepper

1 In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar and eggs together with an electric mixer for 20 minutes. Sift together the flour, cinnamon, cloves and pepper and stir them into the egg mixture. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place them on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Let the cookies sit out overnight to dry.
2 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake the cookies for 10 to 15 minutes. Cool and store in an airtight container for a week to blend the flavors.

Now, I dont know if Ill get the time to make them at this point, but if I do, I feel much better that I have some kind of recipie for them.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:27 pm
that's a lot of black pepper for a cookie!

Aaaaah, I'm having fond memories of a certain someone's rumballs.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:54 pm
Of course, I love pfefferneuse, or whatever the words are. Not easy to find in California...
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 07:17 am
Oddly enough k, it makesfor an interesting cookie...not what you would expect.
umm..rum balls. Hummm. I dont know if I can do that this year. sigh.

osso...YOU KNOW THESE??? excellent...its not a conspiracy...or you're a conspirator Wink
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 08:21 am
Quote:
Have the lakes frozen yet?

They're trying, but it's going to be a long while before anybody can go out on em, I think. May be a repeat of a couple of years ago, when it's "danger thin ice" all winter.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 09:26 am
Aw. That's the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned your parka. I love lake treks or (especially) ice skating on the lake if it's frozen but there is no snow, which is unusual.

So that's another "...then I don't feel so bad" thought -- skating alone on a black lake with a black sky and bright stars in the middle of the night.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 11:14 am
pfeffernusse are a good basic german/scandinavian christmas cookie. you can get them at most stores around here. easy to make. tasty little buggers.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 08:23 pm
you can get them at stores??

I think the Germans have been ousted from the area for some reason, Ive never seen them.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 08:31 pm
quinn1 wrote:
I think the Germans have been ousted from the area for some reason, Ive never seen them.

lol By the time the German's got to migrating to North America the Irish and the English had Southern New England all sewed up. They hopped to PA and points westward in the midwest.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 07:49 pm
Answer to question:

I think of music - some beautiful, comforting song. It was "Pennies from Heaven", Billie Holiday, for a long time. In September/October it was "You're not Alone", by Nightmares on Wax - but you can't hum along to that one, so its less effective.

Better still when combined with the recent memory of something delicately pleasant, but unfraught with any consequences you'd have to fret about. I.e., "Pilote", by Turtle (Bonobo Remix).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 07:51 pm
Thought when reading poll: schnitzel with noodles? Funny, I dont remember her singing about that ...

<smiles>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 07:57 pm
Talk about "Pilote", I used to have this "occasional love affair" with a German girl, when I was in my early 20s (thinks: da-amn ...). I only saw her every once in a while (unpredictably as a friend or as more), so in the meantime we wrote and sent each other packages.

She went to art school, I was just weird: our packages would be cool, random stuff we knew the other would like (even if it'd mean nothing much to anyone else) - all intricately compiled and wrapped. Whichever letter-with-drawings or package came in last was always a good thing to fleetingly think of to cheer up a crummy day ...
0 Replies