Is the use of the word "Gay" as a synonym for "Stupid"/"Lacklustre"/"Poor"/etc. acceptable?

iamsam82

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 02:41 pm
@djjd62,
Close - the DJ's initials were CM (Chris Moyles).
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 03:18 pm
@iamsam82,
Quote:
Exactly my point. The changing definition is inevitable. Language is organic. To police it is naive.
I have a different concern than you, for what I think is the goal is to get rid of all expression of ideas and beliefs that does not support the political stance that all people are equal. I further believe that there is a very troubling and growing desire to get rid of all ideas and opinion that is not congratulatory and encouraging, because given that we are in a dieing civilization and the people are fearful all talk of reality is disquieting and some overly queasy types would like to avoid disquieting ideas and opinions.

We cant have that, it is the road to certain failure to successfully organize society by way of birthing a new civilization.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 04:26 pm
@iamsam82,
iamsam82 wrote:

Exactly my point. The changing definition is inevitable. Language is organic. To police it is naive.

Be careful Sam or Officers Joe and Cyclo of the Language Police may come knocking at your door.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 04:42 pm
@iamsam82,
ah, never really got moyles, i used to podcast both moyles and mills, rather liked mills (especially when chappers was still there), but have to many podcasts i listen to so they got the chop (been thinking about grabbing some mills audio again though)
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 09:22 pm
@iamsam82,
Quote:
Where's the line?

I'll put my hand up sir, is it the c'mon touch.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 05:56 am
The usage has already changed. Can't be undone, anymore than terrific or awesome can revert to their former meanings. Older folks will refuse to adjust but they always do that.
Ionus

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 09:15 pm
@Eorl,
I still use "nice" to mean fine and precise.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 09:23 pm
I can imagine the word 'gay' evolving, even from now.. I'm some percent sure that people used it here on a2k as other than lightly jolly or as homosexual several years ago. Where the f is slappy?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 09:27 pm
The word nigger was the burnt stick in a wood pile. Once placed in the fire it gave off more heat and burnt longer as it turned into coke more readily. Somehow that got twisted into an insult to black people. Gay for happy turned into male homosexuality and then into something undesirable. Words will always change and that is good. The English language didnt get to be this wide spread by being insular...it is a bastardised language that takes anything on board. Good for it !
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 04:24 am
If lame is ok then why not gay? I have sent it spelt ghey to differentiate. Maybe that'll catch on.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 06:54 am
I don't see the point of this thread.

There are a set of words that I would be afraid to use at work (and I never hear them at work). For example referring to a woman as a "broad" or using the word "bitch" (even to refer to a female dog). I don't feel this is censorship. It is just common sense and decency.

What's wrong with common courtesy? I don't use the word "gay", not because I think it should be banned, but because I care that I might offend someone needlessly. I wouldn't punish my kids for using it, but I might say something.

Are people really arguing that words should never be considered offensive?

There is a big difference between saying that a word isn't appropriate, and saying it should be banned. There are many words I find offensive. Outside of work situations, none of them should be banned.
Eorl

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 07:23 am
@maxdancona,
No, this is a bit more complicated. As many words are, the new version of the word gay is being driven by teenagers, a demographic that already suffers a tragically high suicide rate among it's homosexual members. The question is, should it, and can it, be prevented?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 07:33 am
@Eorl,
Of course the high suicide rate among homosexual teens should be addressed, and it is being addressed.

We need to have a national discussion (which is happening). We also need to make sure there are resources available for teens in crisis, and that there are discussions happening on the local level. This is happening in many areas (but obviously varies from place to place).

I don't think there is much to do about language.

The most important thing is to have the discussions. I don't punish my kids for using offensive language. But, I do talk to them about it. It is a great way to open these discussions.

My teen aged boys use the term "ho's" to refer to their female friends. The term "pimp" is used for anything that is superlatively good.

I talk to them about it, but there isn't much I am going to be able to do to dictate how they talk when I am not around. However, I can talk to them about respect for women and why they shouldn't think about women as prostitutes. The funny thing is that, other then use of these terms, they treat women with a lot of respect.

The discussion is far more important then the words.

This seems obvious. Is there an interesting question here?

Ionus

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 07:58 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Of course the high suicide rate among homosexual teens should be addressed, and it is being addressed.
I cant wait for the results to start flooding in......
maxdancona

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:07 am
@Ionus,
Gee you are a pessimist. Are you really making the ridiculous claim that we aren't making amazing progress?

Homosexual rights are better now then they ever have been. I am not saying that there isn't a lot more to do, I am just saying that we are making great progress. Same sex marriage (unthinkable 20 years ago) is now legal in several states. We are on the brink of allowing homosexuals to serve openly in the military.

The current crisis of suicide is being addressed by national figures and is a front page story. Today it is a tragedy, but 30 years ago it would have been a non-story.

Are you claiming that the national discussion, combined with the rapid spread of LGBT friendly groups and resources for teens on the local level isn't a great thing? This is a problem we are taking seriously.

As a society are making amazing progress in the area of homosexual rights.
Ionus

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:22 am
@maxdancona,
I dont really care about homosexual rights esp when they are a struggle against reality such as marriage......but I do care about suicide and teens in trouble.
iamsam82

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 02:58 am
@Ionus,
I'm fine with homosexuals being allowed to marry, but they should DEFINITELY not be allowed to adopt.
aidan

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 03:33 am
I was thinking about this and I remembered that when I was a teenager it was very common to say, 'That is so queer', or 'S/he is so queer' and in view of this discussion, I asked myself if, when my friends and I were using that term if we meant gay or homosexual.

And I don't think we did. At least, I wasn't aware of it. And I asked another American my age if they had used it regularly for a term of derision and they said that yes, they had. So I asked them - what did it mean to you? And he said it meant 'uncool' - 'nerdy'- but again, he wasn't conscious of it as a reference to sexuality - even though it was as closely associated to homosexuality as gay is now.

Interesting. We also used to say, 'He is so intense' and that was a compliment.

I don't like when kids say 'that's so gay', but I guess it is the same as saying, 'that's so queer'.
Maybe they're not consciously referencing gay people but maybe the gay people are picking up on it - how could they not?
I discourage the use of it whenever I hear it.
But yeah, we obviously weren't aware of any negativity we might have been communicating to 'queer' teens back in the day. I wish there was someone here who could say, 'Yes, it was offensive to me when you said 'queer' just as I wish there was a gay teen who could fill us in on how s/he feels about the use of 'gay' to mean uncool or lame.

But in the absence of that - I'd say - don't use the term, just to be on the safe side - unless of course you don't care about hurting or offending people.
Francis

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 03:37 am
@iamsam82,
Maybe it is your opinion but you proved wrong in other fields already:

I am an idiot!

Quoting someone I like : If that is wrong, we can assume the other stuff is wrong too..
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 03:39 am
@aidan,
Quote:
just as I wish there was a gay teen who could fill us in on how s/he feels about the use of 'gay' to mean uncool or lame.

it often means effeminate as well....
0 Replies