Sardines for breakfast

ehBeth

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 04:04 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Wally looks at me like I'm crazy when I say "It's the Holidays! Have some Herring!"

Christmas isn't Christmas without some of hamburgboy's pickled herring and beet salad.

(I can make it myself, and have found a decent standby - but Dad's is still the best)
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 08:44 pm
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=147
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 08:57 pm
It took me an eternity to work my way through a jar of pickled herring, recently. Too sweet for me. But I liked the onions, so I'm playing with pickled onions.

Sardines, I put them in what I think of as a rough soup. Sometimes I add clam juice and even canned clams, and the odd anchovy or shrimp. People probably back away from me, but I pay no attention...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 01:55 pm
@CalamityJane,
Trader Joe's canned trout is delicious too. I like it better than the sardines.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 02:01 pm
@JPB,
are sardines really from Sardinia?
I read in a book by Richard Brautigan that hump-backed trout are the sweetest. The book was "Trout Fishing in America."
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 02:16 pm
@JPB,
JPB, I just bought the trout yesterday on your recommendation, and it is
delicious indeed, much better than the sardines. With a tad of horseradish...
soo good.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 08:11 am
So far my fav has been those King Oscar Mediterranean sardines.

All my life, my cholesterol has been stellar. Low total, low LDL's high HDL's, low/normal trig, wonderful ratios between LDLs/HDL's, etc.
I imagine it is genetics, although I have gravitated toward healthy foods all my life.

However, since menopause, the numbers have changed. For someone who has problems, I think my numbers would still cause envy. But, they are not where I personally want them to be. I exercise regulary, so I'm approaching this with diet.

Since I started my sardine kick, I've also add other foods I have eaten every day.

Each day (well at least 5 or 6 out of 7) I've been eathing the following:

Sardines
24 oz orange juice
2 small squares of dark choc (70%)
walnuts - hmmm...I eat the walnuts about half the time, by the end of the day I sometimes don't want them, since I've eaten enough.

I'm going to wait until closer to the end of the year, and ask to have bloodwork taken again.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 02:23 pm
wow.

I just got my bloodwork back.

For a month I ate sardines like 6 days a week, drank 3 glasses of oj (not from concentrate), ate walnuts maybe 4 times a week, and a small about of dark choclate maybe 4 or 5 times a week.

My HDL's went up 22%.
They went from 36 to 44 (should be at least 46)

That is amazing.

My LDL's are really low anyway, but they went down 2 points.
They went from 72 to 70 (should be less than 130)

Total cholesterol remained about the same, at 140, and lipids actually went up a little bit, from 162 to 168 (should be less than 150)

I'm really encouraged by that increase in HDL's.
It was really discouraging to up one's exercise, not eat some things you really like, and see absolutley no difference.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 05:10 pm
May I ask your age, weight and height?
chai2

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 08:14 pm
@PUNKEY,
No.
chai2

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 08:15 pm
@chai2,
Better answer:

Why do you ask?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 08:59 pm
Because all those all those things are factors in changing health status.
chai2

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 05:39 am
@PUNKEY,
Read the post I made directly above the one with the updated numbers.

Besides, I don't know what you mean by "all those things", since the only number that significantly changed was my HDL's (again, see the post I made directly above the one with the updated numbers.)
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 05:46 am
@chai2,
Sardines for breakfast

Let's raise a toast.

ino i'm lazy but i prefer canned sardines tuna salmon

ono am i nought but some barcode in the what have i become room

happy holidays everyone
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 07:54 am
If you are under 50, I'd say good job.

If you are over 50, I'd say FANTASTIC.

Miss L Toad

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 12:33 am
@PUNKEY,
Kippers?
chai2

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:29 am
@Miss L Toad,
I don't think I could eat over 50 kippers in one sitting.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 02:00 pm
I like canned kippers for breakfast or whatever. Herrings are especially tasty pickled in sour cream. I've heard that kippers are a traditional breakfast in
England.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 08:11 am
OMG
I just discovered the best so for!

Bela Sardines. I just had ones that were lightly smoked and packed in lemon and extra virgin olive oil.

They were like $3 a can, but worth it.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_H90Ut0VfGSo/SmXiuq96gwI/AAAAAAAAAN4/XYCoPNhHL4c/s400/url.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 12:30 pm
I found a brand of sardines I really like, and they were on sale at the time for something like $1.79. Now I wish I'd bought more than two tins of them.

http://www.wildplanetfoods.com/store/products/wild-california-sardines-in-extra-virgin-olive-oil.html

Just had some mashed with chopped onion and a squidge of tomato puree and a bit of the can/oil - on toast.