WikiLeaks about to hit the fan

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 04:43 pm
@msolga,
Years ago I told you I would rather not argue with you anymore because it never seemed to end well. I don't come here that often but when I did comment on political matters or world news I would often find you asking me questions. I never once replied but still they came. I'm not trying to make you out to be a stalker or anything but you clearly decided this week that you were going to argue with me whether I wanted to or not, and started replying to me repeatedly. In this thread you just wouldn't stop till I replied. Then once I had replied and said I had had my say you wanted to keep going. I don't want to drag this out into a big deal either (hell that is one of the reasons I try to avoid this, it almost always ends this way). I wish you nothing but the best, I mean that sincerely. You are a perfectly nice person and it's not a big deal either. Some people are like water and oil, life goes on.
BillRM

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 04:48 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I keep telling you that, you and hawkeye keep saying how horrible it is here, why not vote with your feet?

I think when you are talking about the internet you vote with your mouse not your feet but come to think about it the picture of you running your computer with your feet is amusing.

Be that as it may getting on a parachute on is a wise precaution but there no need to jump until you had flown this website a little nearer to the ocean.

You seems to be about to put this site on an interesting if self destructed trajectory that will be interesting to watch.
msolga

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 04:52 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well I humbly apologize for responding to what you posted now & then.
Same as commenting on anyone else's comment/s.
Like we all do in A2K discussions. No problem usually.
This particular thread is one I've participated in for quite a long time because the issue is of importance to me.
May I assure you that my responses to what you posted was not so much to engage you personally as to respond to some comment/s you made.
That's all. Apart from posting more information (which I believe was relevant).
I don't have much interest in you personally, believe it or not.
This is nonsense.
I wish you'd just let it go.
It's embarrassing, apart from the rest.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 04:54 pm
@BillRM,
So, why don't you guys vote with your "mouse" then? I am only asking you guys why, if it is really so bad, that you stay here. Nobody's keeping you here. I don't think you'd stay if you really thought it were that bad, so I think it's a healthy dose of hyperbole.
spendius

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 04:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
If I have this right if xyz has hawkeye on block the hawkeye will not be able to see anything that xyz has written.

I can't see why you would want to see what xyz has to say when they have disgraced themselves to such an extent as to have placed a harmless and respectable citizen such as yourself "on block". Their action defines them as wankers and wanting to see what such people have to say is ridiculous.
spendius

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 05:04 pm
@spendius,
It might be a very good idea if Mrs Clinton placed Assange on Ignore.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 05:04 pm
@msolga,
Maybe I had it all wrong but your repeated questions addressed to me by name gave me the distinct impression that you were trying to engage me in an argument. I, too, apologize if I have misconstrued things.

I hope you have a perfectly pleasant Sunday MsOlga, cheers!
msolga

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 05:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I often/usually refer to people by name when responding to their posts in discussions here.
I've never seen that as a problem before now.
OK, I will refrain from using your name. Is that better?

Yeah, cheers to you, too.
dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 05:10 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Nearly everyone who has worked with him has said the same, that they think the cause is noble but that dons it as a mantle to deflect from charges and criticism against him, and hijacks the cause to self-aggrandize his role in it.

In reality he just happened to be a place where Bradley Manning and a few others chose to leak information of great social value and he is basking in the glory of their sacrifices and bravery and using it to deflect from personal criminal charges that he does not want to face.

Sigh....its probably too late to ask this now, but I'm interested to clarify....you are not being critical of wikileaks, but of Assange?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 05:12 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
You seems to be about to put this site on an interesting if self destructed trajectory that will be interesting to watch.

You guys have been saying that for almost 5 years. I admire your patience in enduring the inhospitable environs but I would like you both to know that instead of the decay and decline it has doubled in traffic.

There are still a lot of kinks to work out, and I think some of the future ones will really improve things even though you two will predictably protest them vigorously.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 05:12 pm
@msolga,
I would not feel so all alone, msO.

rob has asked that I not waste his time, either...

he is very busy, you know.

cheerio...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV4ROj8C5ow
dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 05:13 pm
@wandeljw,
So, if most people left wikileaks because of Assange, is open leaks continuing the work? Or is there any organization actively doing the same work?
dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 05:17 pm
@dlowan,
Ah....I'm following this discussion through pages....you already answered that you support wikileaks.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 05:18 pm
@Rockhead,
Thank you, Rocky.
I needed some kindness.
This conversation has made me feel like crap.
BillRM

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 05:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well moving to say to a new website such as debate.org after spending so must efforts over the years on able2know is not lightly done.

What amuse me however is that normally on any such website as this one you have only ten percents of the members doing any real postings and only one percent doing 90 percents of the postings.

Msolga that you are having a problem with due to her daring to address you had over 50 k of postings on this website with 15 people who had decided to follow her.

People are not likely coming to your website to view what a nice job you had done on the design of the site but to read the content of those heavy posters that you seem to wish to drive out in large part by making the environment more and more unfriendly to a large percents of them.

It your website so you can do whatever you wish to it however it is sad when a major internet or even pre-internet community as in the case of Genie is going down the road to self destruction.

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 05:24 pm
@msolga,
cheer up, msO.

you could be hawkeyes...

he's gonna be real lonely soon.

I will say that I think the US has enough other real problems that I don't see us going after mr assange with the seals any time soon.
wandeljw

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 05:30 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
I will say that I think the US has enough other real problems that I don't see us going after mr assange with the seals any time soon.

No one seems worried about Assange. He can't leave the Ecuador embassy. The president of Ecuador said that Assange is welcome to stay there for the rest of his life. In effect, Assange is in life imprisonment.
msolga

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 05:37 pm
@wandeljw,
You sound pretty pleased about that, wandeljw.
But I wouldn't be so confident about predicting life-long imprisonment at this point.
For starters, the Swedish prosecution's case appears to be in a wee bit of trouble at the moment ... re dna findings.
But we shall see.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 05:42 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
No one seems worried about Assange.

Have you checked out Twitter lately?
Quite the opposite.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 05:42 pm
@dlowan,
Depends on what you mean about Wikileaks, as others abandoning support for the organization note, it is a one-man Julian Assange show now. Supporting the organization is to support him and I think he's a complete cretin.

However, I do support the idea, the idea it certainly didn't invent (of bringing secrets to light) and the idea that it poorly serves with Assange and his serious personal issues detracting from them. I would like for more whistleblowers like Bradley Manning to come forward and I oppose the real persecution that they face. Assange is riding on the coattails of their bravery and hijacking the goodwill their leaks generate for self-aggrandizement and to avoid facing his personal problems.

He hijacked the organization as his defense against the charges against him in Sweden. I find it despicable that he gets to evade facing rape charges just on the basis of the hero worship and by donning the mantle of the cause and implying that the rape charge is political persecution.

The moment he did that is when I, and many others who supported him or even worked with him, broke with the support. Folks around him in Wikileaks asked him to step down but his response instead was to kick those who challenged him out of the organization and he continued to use it as a bully pulpit for his defense, bringing backers and financial support that are to be used for his personal defense and personal use. Those who objected to this were just pushed out.

It is patently obvious that he is using a political excuse to avoid a personal criminal charge. The notion that the charges are all part of an American conspiracy is baseless idiocy and it's shameful that it's a narrative whose attraction to the average Australian makes them believe it in such great numbers (you can tell where they are from a mile away as they ape all the talking points the media in Oz make).

His accusers deserve their day in court, no matter what Assange's passionate supporters think about him or his cause. It is just not their job to adjudicate the rape case through conspiracy theories and the court of popular opinion. It is absolutely absurd that we are here saying that the rape cases should not be held because of some risible and utterly ridiculous notion that America is going to extradite or kidnap Assange. That is my qualm, he is accused of rape and evades facing the charges with the help and mindless support from his many apologists.