WikiLeaks about to hit the fan

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:16 pm
Sorry, MsOlga, but I can not find a Rasmussen poll that comes to the conclusion you suggest. I think I have the one your source cites, but the wording in the narrative is much different. I will try to get into it before I go to sleep, but it may have to wait until tomorrow.
msolga

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:21 pm
@realjohnboy,
That'd be good, RJB.
When you're able to.
Thank you in advance.

edit: of course it wasn't my conclusion. (I'm sure you know that.) A quote from the Guardian live update blog.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:29 pm
This is all a bit trying for me. My dad was head of a lot of stuff for the army air force in wwII. Later, he was photo chief for the bikini bomb tests, including riding in the plane that shot down into Baker. (Helen knows about that).

Someone under him - far as I can figure - showed a print at a party in new york. I probably have the name in my piles of stuff. An obviously classified print. My father lost his very high rating. I'm not sure why but I'll guess re not a tight shop, or not the right friends. Christ, he had near no sleep. I have a photo of him rubbing his eyes at the pentagon meeting when he had flown the photos to d.c. - on the enola gay.

He catapulted down hill emotionally after that, as I was nearing nine years old.

That's just the start.

But sometimes I look with his eye.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:46 pm
@msolga,
The Rasmussen poll I find on this came out Wednesday and was of 1000 likely voters. The title of the poll was "Voters Question U.S. Protection of Secrets..."
Summarizing Rasmussen- who starts with "Generally Speaking..."
29% think that the government does a good job of protecting secrets.
46% think that the government does a bad job.
25% are not sure.

79% are at least Somewhat Concerned that the WikiLeaks drop will harm U.S. national security. 47% are Very Concerned. 18% are Not Very or Not At All Concerned.

That is all I can find on Rasmussen about his polling on this.
I wonder where the Guardian got its Rasmussen poll.
msolga

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:51 pm
@realjohnboy,
Thank you very much, RJB.
It doesn't sound like the same conclusion (or poll?) to me, either.
I'll see what I can see.

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:57 pm
@msolga,
RJB, I went back to the Guardian's live blog & the update I quoted earlier was linked to this (below):

Haven't had a chance to properly read it yet. Was trying to catch you before you went off the bed. (Good night! Smile )

Quote:
51% Say Leaking of U.S. Secrets Is Treason
Thursday, December 02, 2010

Most voters believe public release of U.S. secret and confidential documents hurts national security, and they consider the leaking of such information to be an act of treason.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 72% of Likely Voters say that when media outlets release secret government documents, they are hurting national security rather than providing a public service. Only 14% believe the opposite is true and that the media is serving the public. Just as many (14%) are not sure. (To see survey question wording, click here.) ...<cont>

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/november_2010/51_say_leaking_of_u_s_secrets_is_treason
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 09:08 pm
@msolga,
Now that is interesting! That poll does not show up on the Rasmussen website here in the U.S. as of 10 pm Thursday. I have contacted them to inquire about that.
Wow! It just showed up under "Breaking Polls." 10:09 pm
msolga

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 09:19 pm
@msolga,
I hope that clears things up. It sounded to me like the Guardian got its assessment right. Feel free to set me straight if I've gotten my wires crossed, OK?

The Guardian live update has closed shop for today.
These are the last entries:
Quote:
1am: Time to wrap it up for the evening. Far from becoming exhausted, the US embassy cables bonanza continue to run and run – so that Egyptian newspapers are now getting their hands on unpublished cables, such as this from Al-Masry Al-Youm, detailing the new underground steel fence being constructed between Egypt and Gaza.

-----

As Michael Hastings, a contributing editor to Rolling Stone, tweeted yesterday:

"end of day five of #wikileaks ... anyone still who claims there is "nothing new" or "we knew all this" is either confused or [fill in blank]"

----

12.44am: Amazon has broken its silence over its abrupt booting of WikiLeaks off its Amazon Web Services (AWS) servers in the US, denying that it did so because of political pressure, in this statement:

There have been reports that a government inquiry prompted us not to serve WikiLeaks any longer. That is inaccurate.

There have also been reports that it was prompted by massive DDOS attacks. That too is inaccurate. There were indeed large-scale DDOS attacks, but they were successfully defended against. ... <cont>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2010/dec/02/wikileaks-us-embassy-cables-live-updates
msolga

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 09:20 pm
@realjohnboy,
Oh there you are RJB! Surprised
I thought you'd be fast asleep by now.

Interesting findings, hey?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 09:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Perfectly understandable, osso.
I can see why you'd find it trying.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 09:41 pm
@msolga,
Thank you for noticing.
msolga

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 09:48 pm
@ossobuco,
I did notice. Much earlier, osso.
I just wasn't sure about the right way to respond. Or whether you'd actually welcome a response from anyone or not.
I think I can understand how you're feeling, with all those memories of your father & what he (& your family) went through, resurfacing ...
It can't be at all easy for you now.
And it must have been bloody awful at the time ..
Sad
Ionus

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 10:09 pm
@msolga,
Excellent reporting, msolga ! I am enjoying this thread and the work you put into it. Thank you and keep it up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 10:41 pm
@msolga,
I don't know how to respond myself. I post just to not have memory (slight) be occluded.

Nothing was awful for me, I was a baby.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 01:05 am
"WikiLeaks site down, Assange close to arrest"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/03/3084384.htm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no comment
ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 01:26 am
@Eorl,
If Assange is caught, it will be because he chooses to go that way. He is quite smart. Oh, to be nabbed for lack of condom wearing. (or so it seems)
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 01:32 am
Quote:
WikiLeaks.org Downed by Domain Hosting Service
By Dan Nystedt and Martyn Williams, IDG News Dec 2, 2010 11:00 pm

WikiLeaks' main website could not be accessed on Friday through its WikiLeaks.org domain name after a subsidiary of Dynamic Network Services terminated its domain name service.

Dynamic Network Services' subsidiary, EveryDNS.net, terminated the WikiLeaks.org domain name because repeated DDOS (Distributed Denial of Service) attacks against WikiLeaks "have, and future attacks would, threaten the stability of the EveryDNS.net infrastructure, which enables access to almost 500,000 other websites," it said on its website.

EveryDNS.net said it notified WikiLeaks by email, Twitter and the chat function available through the WikiLeaks.org website that its domain name service would be terminated in 24-hours. That 24-hour period ended Dec. 2 at 10 p.m. Eastern Standard Time in the U.S.

"Any downtime of the Wikileaks.org website has resulted from its failure to use another hosted DNS service provider," EveryDNS.net said.

WikiLeaks put out a note on Twitter saying, "WikiLeaks,org domain killed by U.S. EveryDNS.net after claimed mass attacks," and implored supporters to keep WikiLeaks strong with continued donations.

The WikiLeaks comment appeared at odds with an earlier WikiLeaks Twitter post saying that DDOS attacks against its servers reached 10 Gigabits per second on Nov. 30. Amazon Web Services also confirmed the DDOS attacks, saying in a blog posting that, "There were indeed large-scale DDOS attacks, but they were successfully defended against."

The domain name service termination comes just days after Amazon Web Services stopped hosting WikiLeaks on its servers for breaking user rules saying that websites must use their own content and not carry data that might injure others. The U.S. Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, chaired by Senator Joe Lieberman, had also asked Amazon to stop hosting the controversial website.

WikiLeaks has come under fire for publishing classified U.S. documents, including videos and documents from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as sensitive cables sent between U.S. embassies and the U.S. State Department. WikiLeaks continues to post the cables.

Dynamic Network Services is a U.S. company based in Manchester, New Hampshire. Its EveryDNS.net subsidiary said all of its systems were functioning normally
http://www.pcworld.com/article/212340/wikileaksorg_downed_by_domain_hosting_service.html?tk=rss_news

Where could he get access to the web? Iran? North Korea? IDK, they have been chased off of two servers in one week by government pressure. It is not clear to many they they will be welcome in any port.
Eorl

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 05:14 am
They went here:

http://213.251.145.96/
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 05:37 am
From the Guardian, so this is 1 pm, London time, I'd say.

Quote:
WikiLeaks cables: Live Q&A with Julian Assange

The founder of WikiLeaks, Julian Assange, will be live online from 1pm today to answer readers' questions about the release of more than 250,000 US diplomatic cables

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/12/1/1291233954192/Julian-Assange-US-embassy-005.jpg
Julian Assange US embassy cables Julian Assange, wikileaks founder. Photograph: Guardian

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is at the centre of intense media speculation and a hate campaign against him in America, following the leak of 250,000 US diplomatic cables.

He will be live online to answer Guardian readers' questions at 1pm today, subject to his access to an internet connection - which is very much a live issue. His online interview comes at the end of a week of shocking revelations from the cables and on a day when WikiLeaks has been fighting US attempts to take its website down.

Assange will answer your questions in the comments section below. From 1pm you will need to navigate to the latest comments for his replies.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2010/dec/03/wikileaks-julian-assange-online
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 06:22 am
A lot of new information on the Guardian's live update blog.

I've tried posting some extracts but am having problems ... lots of //////////
are appearing in the text. Strange. Confused

Not sure why, but it makes it very difficult.

So it might be best to just leave the link & let you look for yourselves if you're interested.

I'll try again later.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2010/dec/03/wikileaks-us-embassy-cables-live-updates
0 Replies