Crabs and Lobsters

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 04:08 am
Yeah, i believe duck sauce is so called because it is intended to be used with duck. I like the duck sauce they hand out in the China towns in Toronto--it's food service pack stuff, but it's good.
farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 04:27 am
@Setanta,
Ona my favorites is to get those crsipy fried sheets of dough that they serve in chinese restaurants and dip em in a double dip of
1hot mustard
2followed by a slather of duck sauce

You got salt-hot-sweet and fried all in one chunk.

I used to enjoy that with a dry martini (up).Today its just OOlong
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 04:33 am
There's an appetizer known as "Crab Rangoon" which is some kind of white paste which may have been shown a picture of a crab before being stuffed into a wonton and deep fried. Place i used to frequent would serve that with duck sauce. I'd stir in some soy sauce, and i was good to go.
farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 04:44 am
@Setanta,
had it. Always wondered what the point was. When I was working in the Chinas, I was amazed at how they squoze the greatest amount of taste and texture out of the most humble of ingredients (like chicken feet or sea cucumbers). Never remember seeing "Duck sauce or Lobstah sauce". It was always several kinds of soys and several kinds of chili sauces. Course I was only in Szechuan /Fukyen provinces and in Taiwan.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 04:56 am
I really love that simple sauce (usually served with fried pork dumplings) which is made from soy sauce or fish-head soup, with garlic and ginger. That'll do it for me. There was a place near where i lived in Ohio, Number One Chinese restaurant. They treated me like a king. I used to stop by there on my way home from work now an again, and one day when i was getting off early i went by there about three o'clock. They were throwing down and getting ready for the evening, and they were making everything from scratch--even the dumpling dough and the won tons. I was impressed.

I explained a tip jar to them, and convinced them to put one out, and then made a nicely lettered and illustrated little sign with that tired old line "Tipping is not a city in China." It worked like a charm for them, and after that, i got such good treatment it was nearly criminal. I'd get the fried dumplings, which was supposed to six, and they'd give me eight or nine. A friend was over once, and i ran over to Number One and ordered the General Tso's chicken, which is what he wanted, and they told me there was a special for that--which included the Crab Rangoon. So i got that. Next time i was in there, they asked me how i liked the Crab Rangoon, and i said it was good. After that, whenever i got a big take-out order, they threw in an order of the Crab Rangoon at no charge. I was reminded of it because of your comment about the hot mustard and the duck sauce. I also loved it because it's essentially a deep fried won ton.
farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 05:06 am
@Setanta,
Its six AM and Ive been up since 3 30 >NOw you makin me hungry . I need a bowl of rice served with salted minnies covered in sweet soy.

My tastes in Chinese go to the Hot and spicy.Although, I think that I am approaching the age in which moderation is no longer merely an option .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 05:17 am
I Korea these little street stands used to sell a breakfast bowl which was like a spicy fried rice (the Koreans put red peppers and garlic in everything) wrapped in a fried egg. They were slick. They'd whip up the egg and fry it spread out and thin, much like scrambled egg--and then put a huge scoop of the fried rice in the middle, wrap the egg around it and put it in the bowl. The heat of the fried rice would finish cooking the egg. It was great. I've made some god-awful messes in the kitchen attempting to do the same thing--something which i never accomplished.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 10:41 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
The lobaster Szexchuan was a very hot lobster sauce served with big chunks of lobstermeat left in the shell. HOW YA gonna eat something like that. Firt it was overly spiced and sweet/salty sauced and the lobster meat hadda be extracted from this glop.

Yes yes I forgot about that sauce. It was sevred with Lobster Satay too. Nice and hot.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 11:55 am
@hingehead,
Nope these babies are not farmed. It takes too long for them to grow to edible size.
0 Replies