Is the long-standing Chinglish acceptable?

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 07:04 pm

"Long time no see," which refers to "I haven't seen you for a long time." Has the phrase, the Chinglish, been accepted by native English speakers for many years. And, has it turned into good English?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,009 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 07:09 pm
Long time no see is not Chinglish, and it has been used in the United States for more than a hundred years.
talk72000

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 07:10 pm
@oristarA,
It is humor to break the ice. A funny sorta greeting. Now accepted.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 08:01 pm
@Setanta,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_time_no_see_(phrase)
Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 08:03 pm
@oristarA,
Yes, and note that the Wikipedia article suggests that its use in the American language comes from contact with aboriginal Americans.
talk72000

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 08:04 pm
@oristarA,
'Ho noi mo kin' in Cantonese is "long time, not meet"
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 08:42 pm
@oristarA,
'Long time no see' is "pidgin english" which has several dialects. I am fluent in the Pacific version. That phrase comes from the North American version. Its equivalent in the Pacific ver is "long time no lukim yu". Chinglish refers to the attempts by Chinese companies to go cheap on a translator and use some office worker who convinced the boss he can speak english. To a fluent english speaker these are either totally unintelligble or hilarious. Following is one I found in a model kit :

Produce at the same time in the M1941 KV-1 type, the KV-2( Also be called the year in M1941 KV-2 type) also threw in the production. The KV-2 characteristic is its quick-fried tower shape. The quick-fried tower that equip 152 millimeters of howitzers reports the hexagon keeps the square form, resembling an enormous box. But, it is said because of the excess, if not on the horizontal plane, dry by heat the tower connect to revolve all and very difficult. Because of such weakness, KV-2 is in actual battle, only used for proceeding to the virtuous soldier the thermodynamic power inhibit, but need not in the battlefield that hour of backstroke break war.

Are there any questions ?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:36 am
No tickee, no laundry
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 09:59 am
@Setanta,
Note too that the Wikipedia article also suggests that the phrase may have originated from Chinese Pidgin English.
Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 10:08 am
@InfraBlue,
I noted that, but American contact with aboriginal Americans was far earlier and far more extensive. You don't convince me that it can reasonably be taken to be "Chinglish."
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 10:16 am
This phrase (long time, no see) was how I greeted family from my crib, as a toddler. Similar to this thread, some family members thought I was speaking pidgin English; others thought I was speaking something from an old British movie that took place in one of its Empire's colonies. Regardless, I do not use this phrase anymore. A simple "Hi" now suffices for all the contact I want.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 01:18 pm
@oristarA,
I think you are mixing Chinglish with pidgin English. Chinglish would have Chinese words mixed in with English like the way Indians use English: "Aray(okay) Bhai (brother or friend), go now" That is Indian English. Ho = very; noi=time; mo=no or not; kin=meet or see. 'Long time, no see' is a transliteration of proper Cantonese greeting.
Ionus

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 05:01 am
@talk72000,
Quote:
'Long time, no see' is a transliteration of proper Cantonese greeting.
If that is true, it is a coincidence.Refer to a pidgin english dictionary circa 1600. The expression was used in the Americas and India long before extended contact with the Chinese.
talk72000

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 08:00 pm
@Ionus,
There were/are many Chinese in India and many British folks went to Chinese restaurants.
Ionus

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 08:10 pm
@talk72000,
Quote:
There were/are many Chinese in India and many British folks went to Chinese restaurants.
?????Pidgin English started as soon as the English contacted the New World. Were there many Chinese restaurants in London then ? As for the Chinese in India, that was 200 yrs later in British India.
0 Replies