NY Times Sunday Puzzles--Need Help?

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:07 am
Oh no you don't Roberta. Letty found ME first. I'm always here for anyone who calls me a "youngin". Very Happy It's you and I who don't have the answers in front of us though, so maybe we could help one another here.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:08 am
Thanks, Roberta. Just as A2K hones my brain, so does a crossword puzzle. Like Frank, I enjoy the diagramless, but I've sorta lost interest, somehow.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:11 am
Raggedy, Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:19 am
I approve of the levity that Will Shortz has brought to the Old Grey Lady's crosswords, but one of his published confessions has Blighted My Life Forever.

He was talking about the level of difficulty in the NYT's Sunday Crosswords. As I remember his figures he said that at least six puzzles every year were real stinkers and another six or so were "very easy".

Therefore when I finish the Sunday Crossword, filling in every square, my triumph is diluted by the thought that this is probably one of the "very easy" puzzles.

The problem with life is that life is full of reality.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:34 am
Noddy: I do wish you hadn't posted Shortz' quote about the "six very easy" ones. Up to now, I was under the impression that only three out of twelve were easy. (lol)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 11:04 am
Raggedy--

Your math: Three out of twelve (a quarter year) equals at least 12 easy ones a year.

My resentfully remembered math: Six easy ones a year.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 11:31 am
Noddy: I never was good at math. Laughing
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 11:37 am
My understanding has always been that the puzzles get progressively harder, Monday-Saturday. As others have noted, Sundays really seem to vary. Some I can knock off in a few hours, while others I can barely make a dent in. It's always fun figuring out the theme.

I thought the one last Thursday, April Fool's Day, was especially maddening. Certain words were backwards and upside down. I threw up my hands, I'm afraid...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 12:27 pm
There are days when I do crosswords to bolster my quivering ego by proving that I'm terribly clever.

Then there are those full-of-reality days.....

D'aragnan, you have my sympathy.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 12:38 pm
D'artgnan. Thanks for the warning. The April 1 puzzle is on a stack waiting to be solved. I usually only work the Sunday puzzle, but for the past month I've been getting the daily papers delivered free and have saved the puzzles for a day when I'm prepared to face reality.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 06:12 pm
It's the Saturday puzzles that give me fits. I can spend a week on them. I can usually spot the easy Sunday puzzles. I start at the top and work my way down with few blanks. The harder ones are more hit and miss--finish a section here and there. Never possible to start at the top and work down.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 11:52 am
The only ones I start at the top and work in order are Mondays and Tuesday, because they're so easy. Other days, I do it as you do, Roberta. A word here, a word there, sometimes success, sometimes failure. A metaphor for life, I guess....
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 03:18 pm
Did anyone here work The New York Times "V" Formation puzzle? It took me three frustrating hours before I figured out what the clue was and I still have no idea what 59 across means. But don't tell me. I'll wait until next week so that Letty has a chance to work the puzzle.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 03:22 pm
I did it! I'm pleased, because at first I was thrown by the trick. It's a good thing I had time on my hands yesterday. I will say no more at this point...
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 03:40 pm
Thank you D"Artagnan. Your post lifts my spirits. Very Happy Everything makes sense now except for the definitiion of "favorable position". I never heard that term before.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 04:16 pm
That term (for favorable position) is an old baseball term, Raggedyaggie...
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 04:57 pm
Oh. Thanks, D'artagnan. I thought I might have had something wrong. It makes sense to me now.

And Noddy, I do hope you're comfortable enough to enjoy the Sunday Crossword. I've been thinking about you.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 05:11 pm
Noddy, you have my sympathy and understanding. The few times I go through the puzzle with no mistakes, I feel a surge of pride then suffer from the realization that is was, most likely, an easy puzzle.

Boidy, the Denver paper has the answers but I'd rather not finish than refer to the answers--and I have to admit that when I do refer to the answers, I tend to do a little extra looking, so I try to stay away. Embarrassed

I'll let you know the next time I'm stuck.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 06:14 pm
Raggedyaggie--

Thanks for the good wishes. One of my hoarded pastimes will be the week day NYT's crosswords from the archives. Crosswords make wonderful diversions.

Diane--

This week (a week later than the elite) the local paper printed the weekly puzzle and the answers to a completely different puzzle. We were not amused.

Hold your dominions.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 07:03 pm
Oh Noddy, that would have blown my little mind!
I do try to hold my dominion when it isn't completely out of my reach.
0 Replies