Are you an owl or a lark? A chronotype quiz.

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 01:38 pm
Quote:
A person's chronotype indicates how a person may perform at different times of day. Some people ('larks') find themselves most alert earlier in the day, and will go to bed early. 'Owls' may be most alert at night and prefer to go to bed late. Recent research from the London School of Economics suggests that 'owls' tend to have higher IQs, but a 2006 study by psychologist Marina Giampietro found that late risers may be more likely to suffer from depression. Studies at the University of Bologna have shown that 'larks' may be more conscientious people. Early birds, of course, also get the worm.

Where do you fall on morning-evening spectrum? Are you a lark or an owl? Take the quiz and add up your points to find out:

http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/images/1112-wires-mansleep/9020224-2-eng-US/1112-wires-mansleep_full_600.jpg

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2010/1112/Are-you-an-owl-or-a-lark-A-chronotype-quiz/If-you-were-entirely-free-to-plan-your-evening-and-had-no-commitments-the-next-day-at-what-time-would-you-choose-to-go-to-bed

My answers:
1. 2 points
2. 3 points
3. 1 points
4. 3 points
5. 2 points
6. 2 points
7. 2 points
Total: 15
Moderately evening type ... 15 - 11 points

chai2

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 01:48 pm
I got 23 points, but I easily could have answered a couple of the questions differently, and gotten 22 or 21.

So, I'm a neither. Neutral

That's as I thought. I think most clearly for decisions earlier in the day, but if I have several days off, like 3 or more, I end up staying up later and later, to midnight or 1am.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 02:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
5.Definitely evening type

David
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 02:26 pm
I got thirteen points - moderately evening type.

I can't go to sleep before midnight - ever - even on work nights but I wake up between five or six am every monring. If I could - I'd take a nap every day.
I've been that way since I was a child.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 02:35 pm
One does hasve to wonder what's wrong when one agrees with David about something, but I do. On this, at least. Got an 8 (had to create a zero-point answer for question 1: post 3am).
As the article says, "but the early bird gets the worm". Let the early bird have it, I say. I've never eaten a worm yet and have no plans to start. If you'll save me a seat at the table, David, I'll be glad to join you in the Beef Wellington you've raved about. That's the dish for owls. Worms, yuck.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 02:58 pm
moderately morning - 25

buttttttttttt the longer I'm on vacation, the earlier and earlier I go to bed and the earlier I wake up

I think I'm really a 'definitely morning' who isn't getting enough sleep.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 03:06 pm
I got 6 points, with an asterisk. The asterisk is mine. The hours considered late on the test were too early for me. If I'm up all night and don't go to sleep until 7 or 8 in the morning, why would I want to get up at noon? But noon was the lastest time given in the choices.

I guess there are night owls, and then there are all night owls.

(BTW, I have a high IQ and suffer from depression.)
George

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 03:07 pm
@Roberta,
So . . .
How do you feel about garlic?
Roberta

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 03:08 pm
@George,
LOL, I've often said that I keep vampire hours. Ok by me except for the blood. Garlic is delish. Not to worry. There will be no fang marks in your neck should we ever meet.

Another BTW. I suffer from vitamin D deficiency. Not enough sunlight. I take pills.
saab

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 03:10 pm
Moderate morning - 24.
I like to get up in the morning, but it takes some time till I can get started doing anything but reading.
I like to go to bed late and read till I get tired around midnight.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 03:16 pm
@Roberta,
Oh, good.
Nibbles are ok --fangs less so.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 03:51 pm
12 points - moderate evening type.

Roberta - they're calling it an evening type, not an all-nighter type.
Roberta

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 04:16 pm
@littlek,
littlek, I'm thinking maybe this test wasn't designed for the likes of me. Sometimes evening is morning for me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 04:21 pm
At 19, neither type, but I knew that. I just get in the mood for intense delving into something, or creativity, from around 3 or 3:30 pm to whenever. Most of my life has involved intense delving or creativity from eight or nine a.m. to late afternoon, and in my years of evening classes, much later than that. Gah.

That's my mental clock. If I want to physically get in gear, probably 10:30 am - 2 pm is prime.

I naturally wake up with the sun, but manage to disown it.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 05:02 pm
I'm curious Boida, could you walk us through a typical "day"?
When do you normally go to bed, get up, etc.

Like I said, if I have more than usual time off, I end up staying up later and later. There have been times that I'll get occupied with something, and realize it's 3am.
I'll think to myself "it would be fun to be up all night and sleep during the day."

I wonder how the world would be if each of us could work whatever hours are best for us, if there were no restrictions on when we could get our business and pleasure done.

Of course there's work that can be done at night, but many professions aren't suited to that.
You may really enjoy your work, but wish you could do it much later or earlier in the 24 hour period we call a day.

Being someone who is a true night person just seems to have the connotation of not being as, well, wholesome. This may not be the truth, but it seems that way. For me, picturing people up at night conjures us images of people at bars, maybe prostitutution, people using drugs, stealing, etc.

I'm sure though there are people who enjoy living their lives at night who love to exercise, eat well, are bubbly, religious/spiritual, nerdy, etc.
djjd62

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 05:04 pm
i know i'm a lark, i often wake up at about 2 in the morning and read for a couple of hours, and still get up at 6
chai2

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 05:07 pm
@djjd62,
What time do you go to bed?
George

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 05:37 pm
Morning (moderately) guy here.

I've described myself as "a lark in a family of owls" for years. Not sure where I
first heard the phrase. It can be useful. On vacations I'm always up early.
I go out for a run, shower up and meet the rest of the clan for breakfast.
No one else is interested in getting up at a reasonable hour (or going
out running for that matter). The early morn is mine.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 05:38 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I'm curious Boida, could you walk us through a typical "day"?
When do you normally go to bed, get up, etc.

Usually, the only appointments I have are at the hospital. Also, my hours depend on how I'm feeling. I can sleep for 15 hours if I'm not having a good day. I do all my work at home. The hours are irrelevant to the people I work for, just as long as I get things done on schedule.

I usually wake up between 1 and 3 in the afternoon. I do some poking around at the computer. Check out a2k and my e-mails. Play a game or two. I don't return phone calls right away unless there aren't many work hours left (9 to 5). If I have errands to run, I might run them now, but I prefer to do them when working people are coming home. Why? They're walking their dogs, and I like to see the dogs. If I have a lot of work, I might do some in the late afternoon, early evening. I take my morning pills somewhere in here. I have to wait an hour before I eat.

I usually have breakfast between 6 and 8 at night unless I've been to the hospital. I've been up for a long time, and I'll have breakfast when I get home.

I watch tv during prime time. Then I come back to the computer.

If I have work, I usually begin around midnight. I don't have the ability to concentrate the way I used to, so I work in short batches of time and take breaks. I may lie down for a while or play a quick game. Depending on how much work I have, I may work (with breaks) until three, four, or five in the morning. Then I watch some tv or play a game. I may also read. Then I have my cookies and milk and my before I go to sleep meds. I'll come back to the computer. This is usually when I run into all the morning people. I go to sleep somewhere between five and seven. Sometimes later. Almost never earlier.

I know the excitement is probably too much for you chai. Fair to say that my night persona doesn't fit with your image.
chai2

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 05:57 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

If I have errands to run, I might run them now, but I prefer to do them when working people are coming home. Why? They're walking their dogs, and I like to see the dogs.

Very Happy
0 Replies