Hello I need your help with this story!!

Biggirl

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:13 pm
The Case of the Million-to-One Shot from Two-Minute Mysteries

"The law of averages will sooner or later produce an extraordinary event," Dr. Haledjian told Octavia after dinner. "If taken by itself, such a happening appears remarkable-the result of pure chance. Actually, it is no more than a logical vaiation from many other nearly similar events."
Haledjian paused to hand a cup of coffee to Octavia. Then he continued:"An excellent example is the disappearance of the bullets in a duel between the French twins, Marcel and Henri Laval, in 1857.
"Except that Marcel was left-handed, the twins were so similar that even their parents found it difficult to tell the difference between them.
"Both Henri and Marcel entered the army and became excellent shots. Perhaps inevitably, they both fell in love with the same girl. The only solution to this question of honor was for the two young men to fight duel.
"I think you can imagine it, the brothers standing back to back, then walking away and turning to face each ther again. They fired at the same moment. To everyone present, the shots sounded like one. By some miracle, the brothers were unhurt, though both said they had aimed to kill.
"The pistols were examined and found to be in perfect working order. Yet no bullet could be bound in either the wall behind Marcel, nor the fence behind Henri.
"'The disappearance of the bullets had a strange effect on the twins. They left the army. The girl ran off with a Hungarian nobleman, and the brothers married the twin daughters of a merchant in Marseilles.
"Now, I've given you the clues-the law of averages and the similarity of the twins, Octavia, my dear," concluded Haledjian. "You should have no trouble in finding out what really happened to the two bullets."

Well, I really don't know what really happened, why the twins left the army, if the girl knew they were twins.... and where did the bullets go???

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 704 • Replies: 0
No top replies