Attention A2K Scientists

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 10:14 pm
My 12 year old asked me this question and I didn't have a clue. Help me out so my boy won't think I'm an idiot.

Why do dog hairs stick to everything? Human hair doesn't.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,382 • Replies: 17
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 10:19 pm
human hair does stick to stuff. Also, we condition our hair so we have less static. My 4 cents.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 10:44 pm
yeah but not like dog hair. it's everywhere. You of all people know that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 10:47 pm
I guess dogs just lose more hair than humans.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 11:01 pm
Dogs just shed a lot more than humans, so their hair is more noticeable. Don't clean the bathroom for two weeks, and you'll see how human hair also sticks to everything.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 11:03 pm
Bet the answer is related to static electricity, and the Law of the General Perversity of the Universe.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 11:05 pm
What Roger said.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 11:10 pm
Here's your answer. http://www.doindogs.com/fur.shtml
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 11:19 pm
Here's a partial answer from this website:

Quote:
Human follicles each give rise to a single hair, but animals that depend on fur coats for temperature regulation often have several or many hairs per follicle. The diameter of individual hairs decreases as the number of hairs per follicle increases.

Each follicle has an oil or sebaceous gland to keep skin and hair smooth and elastic. Dog breeds developed to work in water generally have a high oil content in their coat so that water runs of the guard hairs and does not penetrate to the skin.

Dogs have three types of hair: soft downy undercoat that is especially abundant in northern breeds but exists in most breeds that developed in cool or cold climates; stiffer and often longer guard hairs that form a protective layer to protect undercoat and skin from harsh weather and cold water; and whiskers, those specialized hairs that grow in clumps on the face.

Oh... duh... same website as CI's. (sigh)
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 08:42 am
cavfancier wrote:
Dogs just shed a lot more than humans, so their hair is more noticeable. Don't clean the bathroom for two weeks, and you'll see how human hair also sticks to everything.

squinney said to tell you thanks a lot for the suggestion, like it's not already hard enough to clean up after a Bear..... Laughing
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 08:48 am
Other then the volume that is shed, the main difference is that finer hair is more maleable and can therefore stick much more easily.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 09:25 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Other then the volume that is shed, the main difference is that finer hair is more maleable and can therefore stick much more easily.

that is sensible to me, although the volume of hair that I'm beginning to shed is getting pretty scary...... Crying or Very sad

Can you say hair club for men?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:49 am
and then there are cats.......................................

echt!!! (finer faster furrier frustration)
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 12:00 pm
BoGoWo said, (finer faster furrier frustration). Soooo true!

BPB, hasn't Squnney discovered that women should never have to clean up after a man in the bathroom??? Not only is all the hair a problem, but the total lack of aim is, well, yuck.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 01:34 pm
Lack of aim is not a problem for me Diane. I sit to urinate. I broke my back when I was fifteen and it limits the amount of weight I can lift. Cool
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 01:50 pm
That reminds me, why is some snow white, some yellow, and some yellow in badly spelled names?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:47 pm
Because men like pissing contests??? Cool
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:52 pm
Ahh...now I get it, Diane. That has never been my thing. To address the sadly missed but welcomed back BoGoWo, that last post had absolutely amazing alliteration. :cool:
0 Replies