Cruise ship food - Why pop tarts and spam?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 01:47 pm
@Linkat,
Well, it might be very different with the US Navy.

But my more than 15 years experiences in the German navy, including a couple of maritime emergencies duties, have taught me that we weren't equipped to restock the pantries of some passenger ships.

0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 01:58 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
So why didn't the cruise ship put into port?

the ship had completely lost power - except emergency generator - not enough power to move or steer theship .
the tugs had a hard enough time getting the ship to dock in san diego .
they decided not to try docking the ship in ensenada . i assume the tugs and the aircraft carrier likely did not have permission to enter ensenada without advance clearing from mexico .
also the ensenada dock facilities are not exactly the best .
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 01:59 pm
@DrewDad,
They had to be brought back by tug boats - that's why it took 3 days.

On the positive, it seems they had plenty of booze. If I were caught on there, I'd just stay drunk for 3 days - that way you wouldn't mind the discomfort and maybe even look forward to eating spam.
farmerman

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 06:16 am
@Linkat,
People will always whine about little inconveniences. Chheesh.
Cruise Ships are floating petri dishes anyway.
chai2

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 07:52 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

People will always whine about little inconveniences. Chheesh.
Cruise Ships are floating petri dishes anyway.

Seriously.

I have never understood the attraction.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 08:49 am
@CalamityJane,
I'm not a cruise person either, CJane. There's too much I'm avid to explore on land, so I'd feel (I think) stymied in getting to do that. I'm not much of a sailing buff either, even though I've have friends and family very involved in it, and follow farmerman's threads about it. But.... what a bummer for the cruise passengers, especially those it was a special trip for.

I wondered, re reading about a woman with diabetes crying about not getting food, and about those who needed their insulin kept cold. I figure cruise ships will ramp up on how to handle this kind of thing re passenger lists and generators for a pharmacy refrigerator.

On the ranks of the world's disasters this is not much of a speck, but still, for many of those involved, probably including crew, at least at the beginning part before the navy showed up, a bit harrowing.

Human behavior is so interesting, how people get along and cope together, or turn against their fellows. I suppose there will be stories.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 09:20 am
interesting rumours are lots more fun that facts;
from the LATimes;
Word on the sea was that Pop-Tarts and Spam were the plats du jour. But a tweet by Carnival personnel disputed that account: "Despite media reports to the contrary, Carnival Splendor guests were never served SPAM!" Of course, that provoked a slew of comments from Spam lovers everywhere. (Carnival later added that "while some SPAM was delivered, it was never served to guests.")
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/nov/11/news/la-trb-splendor-cruise-reactions-20101111
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:30 am

Y does this problem keep happening to CARNIVAL ???
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:33 am
On our news we had one guy complaining they stood in line patiently whilst others took as much food as they could carry, only to throw out what they couldnt eat whilst the back of the line never got fed.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:35 am
@dyslexia,
One passenger said on our news ALL they had to eat was spam.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:37 am
@Ionus,
reality, what an interesting CONCEPT.
Ionus

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:41 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
reality, what an interesting CONCEPT.
Very Happy We are this close to an event and we cant work out what happened...what hope does history have ?
dyslexia

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:48 am
@Ionus,
not to worry, I'm sure the next Will and Ariel Durant will provide enlightenment.
Ionus

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:52 am
@dyslexia,
Couldnt they have eaten the fat comedian ? Or the Entertainment Director? How about the Chief Engineer ?
0 Replies