I learned something new at school today

maxdancona

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 09:40 am
@aidan,
Aidan,

You are putting forward a false choice.

I hate the standardized testing. I am reasonably happy with the public education my kids are getting. There is no contradiction here, I think the testing has a negative effect on education, most teachers will tell you this. This doesn't mean that the benefits my kids are getting from being with dedicated teachers (we have been lucky I guess) don't outweigh this one thing.

The basic point is whether the tests are a good measure for education or a beneficial part of the educational process. I strongly argue that no, they are neither.

I wouldn't teach my kids mindless complicity for the sake of complying. I would teach them to make decisions based on their convictions and interests. There is no damage done by opting out of mindless exercises.

boomerang

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 09:44 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I wouldn't teach my kids mindless complicity for the sake of complying. I would teach them to make decisions based on their convictions and interests.

EXACTLY! That's education!
maxdancona

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 09:49 am
@boomerang,
Boomerang,

There is an education expert (I forget his name right now and I am too lazy to look it up) who points out that the American education system was designed during the industrial revolution where the great need was to prepare people for factory work.

In factory work, complicity is a very good thing (at least from an employer point of view).

Someone's ability to follow directions and can do a task according to specification can probably be tested with some accuracy. But this isn't what I have in mind for the education of my kids.

I suppose this little discussion might be a difference in opinion about what education should be.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 09:52 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
You don't learn about what he knows. You learn about what has been crammed into his short term memory without context.

I'm in complete agreement with you on this, boomerang.
One of my strongest objections to the emphasis on standardized testing to assess students' "abilities" is that it distorts the curriculum and the quality of the learning experience of the students ... cramming (or preparing students for the tests) is not exactly an enriching experience for the students. And it takes away so much precious time from what they could to be doing in their classes.
Education is meant to be interesting, stimulating & (gasp) even an enjoyable experience for students!

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 10:25 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I would teach them to make decisions based on their convictions and interests.

I think this is part of what parents should be teaching their children at home.

I don't think it's necessarily appropriate for the school setting - you'd never get a school board's worth of parents to agree to how this sort of thing is presented. It's too much like religion.

NAACP

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 10:27 am
Every individual should be left alone and free to explore his/her interests so long as they are not "stepping on anyone elses toes" so to speak. Let your creativity flourish.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 10:33 am
@msolga,
A teacher speaks! Thanks msolga.

As I understand it, the environment is not very enriching for many teacher, either.

I ran into Mo's third grade teacher the other day. She been teaching for 40 years, 20 of those years at this very school. She's retiring at the end of this year and reports "that it's just no fun anymore".
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 10:38 am
@ehBeth,
I agree that this is a good lesson for home.

But if we teach this lesson at home and aren't willing to help our child carry it out into their world does it matter if we're teaching it?

Doesn't that make us hypocrites?

Just because we won't reach consensus does that mean we shouldn't exercise our options?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 10:41 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The objection is that testing is not a valid scientific measurement of education, or of anything meaningful that resembles education. The results are bogus.

In this way, you are mistaken to compare testing to a valid measurement like temperature. When you measure temperature, it has a well known and relevant scientific meaning. Something that is measured to have a high temperature is always "hot". A temperature reading can reliably indicate how well a given process heats a system.

Education testing is not anything like this. People can be well educated and do poorly on the test. People can be poorly educated and do well on the test. These tests don't indicate how well a process is serving a group of children.

Data like this is not misleading, it merely has other variables that have to be accounted for. Real life data is often like this. I am trying to measure how A impacts B, but C, D and E all also impact B, so I control for what I can and I randomize the rest. While you are correct that test taking skill impacts test scores, it does so both positively and negatively and you can control for it, both for individual students and for populations of students. I disagree with the statement that because of these sources of variability testing cannot be used to evaluate education effectiveness. Let's say you wanted to know if a particular basketball coach is a good coach. There are a lot of variables here. The incoming skill of his players varies widely, the facilities come into account, the quality of the competition, management support, funding, etc. There is also the definition of "good coach". Does graduation rate of his students come into play? How about their success in other fields or sports? It's a complex question. Does that complexity mean that you can't use their performance on the basketball court as a metric to evaluate the coach? Of course not. If the students show the ability to work together, handle the ball, hit layups, in short demonstrate basketball skills, that's a key indicator of good coaching. Do his players show improvement over time? Another key indicator. Does that mean that this is the only metric to be considered? Of course not. I mentioned several other parameters above that I hypothesize would impact team performance and they should either be controlled for or considered when looking at the data, but that doesn't mean that performance on the court is useless. I would argue the opposite.
maxdancona wrote:

Data for data's sake is worse than meaningless. It is misleading. The process that should be focused on what is best for the student's education instead is focusing on optimizing on a bogus metric.

The idea that educational testing represents some magic "thermometer" that tells us when students are cooked, ummm educated, isn't science.

Data is not misleading, it is data. You can misinterpret it, but that's your fault, not the data. Worse are those who intentionally misuse data, but once again that does not mean the data is invalid. It all comes down to what you think the end goal of educating children is. If it is to develop certain skills that you think are important to their future success, then demonstrating those skills in a controlled environment is a completely valid way of measuring effectiveness. Do you have to control or monitor a host of other variables that also impact children's ability to demonstrate skill knowledge? Sure. Should we refuse to look based on a belief that it is all bogus? IMO no. Having data that you can debate the validity of is much better than having no data and waving your hands in the air. You say it's not science, but when we teach our students the scientific method, we teach them not only to hypothesize, but to go out and measure. Just as using a thermometer to measure outside temperature will not guarantee that it's a nice day outside, educational testing is not the only tool to measure educational effectiveness, but it is a tool and I don't understand the claim otherwise. If children in aggregate cannot demonstrate basic skills when asked, something is wrong. Is it the education system, the preparation of the students, the teachers, the material being taught? I don't know, but I know I should start searching. Part of your objection may be that you think the test measures the wrong things. A bogus experiment yields useless results. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do experiments and that doesn't mean testing is faulty, it means you have to redesign the test to answer the questions you want answered.

One more thought. France doesn't collect any racial data on its population. It is illegal to do so. Great, a colorblind society! Unfortunately, they have no way to evaluate claims of systematic discrimation in their society and there is plenty of evidence it exists. No claims of bias in loans, housing, employment, etc can be analyzed in any way. From those types of arguments in the US, we know that data is very complex. Are landlords denying leases based on income or race? But we have the data to start finding answers and we have used that complex data to stop discrimination in banking, housing, hiring, etc. France intentionally does not. I think data is better than no data and I think gathering this information on student development is shining a dim, perhaps unfocused light in what would otherwise be a dark room.
engineer

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 10:47 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
A study of math scores on the 1992 National Assessment of Educational Progress found that the combination of four variables unrelated to instruction (number of parents living at home, parents’ educational background, type of community [e.g., “disadvantaged urban,” “extreme rural”], and state poverty rate) explained a whopping 89 percent of the differences in state scores. In fact, one of those variables, the number of students who had one parent living at home, accounted for 71 percent of the variance all by itself.

THIS IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF THE VALUE OF TESTING! Without the testing data, this observation on the impact of single parent families on math scores would never have been found! Now that we have such a clear signal, we can try to develop programs to understand why that impact is there and how to counter it. If you believe that testing has no value, then you believe that this study is bogus and I just don't see that.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 10:48 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Sure it does. But when a concept is taught out of any context it leaves the short term memory before any real connections are made.

this is actually quite an important short term memory function

I recently listened to a radio program about this, and have been doing a bit of reading on the subject - there are some groups studying how this particular type of short-term memory develops - and how it can be encouraged.

things like - how does your brain know that it only needs to remember where you parked your car for extremely short periods of time v for years - how does it remember where you parked at the dentist today v where you parked at the dentist 1 week/1 month/1 year ago

this type of memory is important - and apparently needs training much as other types of memory do

fascinating area of study
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 10:52 am
@engineer,
But the test was to study math scores of the students at the school in order to make funding decisions.

Should schools be punished for the demographics of the parent population?
Izzie

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:12 am
different country, different tests... don't quite know what NCLB tests are...

however

the whole focus here (on this thread) appears to be on "testing kids" - hmmmmm.... hesitating, but... testing isn't just about the kids results - testing also tests the teachers

teachers have to teach what the curriculum states (rightly or wrongly) - the only measure of whether they are teaching adequately is by testing the children... results show teaching abilities AS WELL AS child ability levels - if teaching standards diminish, the state then has to kick in to make more funds available - this is not to "punish" teachers, merely, to educate children correctly (curriculum aside.... it is a measure of teaching ability too).

if, as a result of the children taking tests, it is seen that a cohort is not achieving in a particular area - then it flags up either the way it's being taught, or the needs of that particular cohort.

most know here I don't like the kids being tested, depending on the children, they can get very anxious and upset etc

but

what I have seen over the years is that the tests DO flag up where there are concerns, whether it be in literacy, numeracy, PSHE... whatever

a school I used to work at was lacking in its numeracy skill set... the test results showed this, the inadequacies were dealt with by receiving additional funding for teacher "intervention"... not KID interventions... but county coming into the school and observing, monitoring, (blah) the TEACHERS - poor teacher was a nervous wreck... but, results did improve!!!!!!!!

if those kids hadn't have taken the SATs test (no matter how much I personally detest them) - the children would have struggled more in when they progressed to Senior school, without the skills they needed. Of course, parents weren't aware of "those" problems because it's not something that the teachers would be jumping off the beams to shout about... but from an insiders point of view - the tests showed a weakness in teaching, which, was then highlighted, dealt with, ergo - kids were taught better.

<of course, if y'all are talking about a different kind of test... just ignore me Razz>

edit: cynical too, "your kid doesn't have to take take the test".... on the 'ole QT... hmmmm... don't like the sound of that IMHO. Confused
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 01:19 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
But the test was to study math scores of the students at the school in order to make funding decisions.

Should schools be punished for the demographics of the parent population?

No, of course not. My point is that without the data, some politician could blame the school for the students' lack of performance, but with the data the school was exonerated. Testing provided the information necesssary to shoot down the "schools suck" crowd.

I've finally settled on an opinion about your original question, for what it is worth. As I understand it, the pro for exempting Mo from the test is that you can make a political statement about how you feel about high stakes testing. The cons are that it will inconvience the teacher, require Mo to be separated from the class for a significant amount of time (maybe sitting bored in the library), might have social implications for Mo and will deny you a data point about your child (even if you don't value it). If the pro was a really big pro and your protest would resound through the school, it might be worth it, but my gut says that it wouldn't have a big impact unless you wanted to try to get the press to run with it and the cons are certainly real. I'd let Mo take the test and use other avenues like school board meetings to get your opinion on high stakes testing across.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 01:30 pm
@engineer,
Quote:

Data like this is not misleading, it merely has other variables that have to be accounted for. Real life data is often like this. I am trying to measure how A impacts B, but C, D and E all also impact B, so I control for what I can and I randomize the rest.

Come on Engineer! You are arguing that higher test results mean higher test results. It is easy, yet quite bogus, to use a test to validate itself.

The question is whether these tests are a measure of meaningful education. Your obfuscations about As and Bs and Basketball players have nothing to do with this question. Basketball is a great example of one of my points, the object of basketball is clear-- the team with the highest score wins. Test scores are nothing like this. Test scores don't have any meaning outside of a meaningless test.

Basketball scores are the point of the game. Making test scores the point of education is exactly what I object so strongly to.

Let's talk about the issues at hand without obfuscation. Here are my hypotheses.

1. I assert (and open to discussion) that standardized test results do not accurately measure education in any meaningful way. Of course to answer this one we are going to have discuss what education means, which is probably a very interesting discussion to have, but I am pretty sure the education is more than filling in little ovals with a #2 lead pencil.

2. I assert that standardized tests are harmful to the process of good education. As evidence I submit that a clear majority of teachers will tell you as much.

engineer

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 01:44 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The basic point is whether the tests are a good measure for education or a beneficial part of the educational process. I strongly argue that no, they are neither.

So how would you make that argument? Not that high stakes testing is bad, but that testing is not a good measure, nor beneficial? Do I think that testing is mildly distracting for the teacher in the big scope of things? Sure. Do I also think that the results of testing have revealed the importance of K and Pre-K classes and been used by school systems to justify creating those programs? Yes. Do I think the revelations like in the post above about the importance of non-school factors has enabled school systems to target at-risk students and create effective programs like after-school care to help address specific needs? Yes. How can you argue that testing is not beneficial without using the very data that you abhor? All that is left are emotional arguments and anecdotal stories and that leaves you at the mercy of someone with better oration skills and better anecdotes.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 01:44 pm
I figure that what you are seeing Boomer is an attempt of the district to raise the test score results, as they encourage asome of those who might poorly on them to not take the test. now that numbers matter so much in funding, career progression,and even keeping the school open there is a huge incentive for the schools to do everything possible to bump up the numbers. I don't think that very many parents who have kids that they are confident will do well on the tests will want to opt out of them on principle, that it will mostly be the sub-par test taker parents who do. If the school makes the test optional,but in a way that most people are not aware thus still take the results seriously as a measure of school performance, it should be possible to convince a few percents of the lower ability kid parents to opt out, and thus skew the overall test results up wards enough to make a difference.

We have long known that schools play games with numbers in order to get the numbers that politicians and parents demand, in order to keep the gears of funding moving. I think that you are seeing more of that.
Quote:
The task force’s recommendations focused on the above generic form as the best way to measure graduation, completion, and dropout rates in terms of cohort-based, cumulative methods; however, for each specific category, there were a number of alternative considerations NCES raised in order to keep “perverse incentives” from causing schools to manipulate graduation, completion, and transfer rates to artificially lower dropout rates. For example, the NCES realized that if schools were transferring students who were at a high risk for dropping out to adult or alternative educational programs, the methodology would not capture these transfers in the graduation rate.23 Therefore, the task force proposed a more “harsh” alternate methodology for measuring dropouts, but one that would seem to eliminate these perverse incentives to transfer failing students, with P being the size of the cohort and Y being a given academic year:

Another widely used methodology that came to popularity in 2003 amid the cries for statistical reform was the Cumulative Promotion Index (CPI), created by Christopher Swanson, then of the Urban Institute. The CPI “approximates the probability that a student entering the 9th grade will complete high school on time with a regular diploma.”24 Swanson takes the number of 10th graders in one year and compares that figure to the number of 9th graders the previous year, thereby calculating a percentage of those who were promoted to the next grade. This is repeated for grades 10th to 11th, from 11th to 12th, and from 12th to graduates in order to come up with a ration that approximates likelihood of graduation. According to this CPI methodology, the State of New York should have reported a graduation figure of 61% in 2003 instead of the 76% that was actually reported by the State.25

http://www.cipa.cornell.edu/cip_publ.taf?_function=detail&pt_id=&ar_id=228&_UserReference=79D6F025CA11508F4BE97DFA

If I were in your shoes I would be offended that someone at my kids school does not have faith in my kids ability to be successful on this test.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 02:12 pm
@engineer,
Well Engineer,

I could imagine a study that compared how some aspect of performance in life, be it educational level, or salary or something else differed between tested students (or students from tested districts) with non-tested students. This would be a valid and interesting study.

Unfortunately, I don't think any such study has been done meaning that as far as the effectiveness of testing to do anything beyond raising test scores , your emotional arguments and anecdotal stories are no better then mine.

The positive impacts of these tests are circumstantial at best.

However, I can prove to you the negative effects of these tests. When I was teaching high school we had test preparation workshops that told us teachers how to raise test scores. We were instructed to focus on the mundane. This wasn't a mild distraction, this significantly took away from other educational goals, like teaching critical thinking skills or probing deeper for more understanding.

The fact that educators, who are the professionals who are actually responsible for education of our children, are widely opposed to testing should also tell you something.

The lack of respect for educators in the US, and the negative effect this has on education, is another issue worth discussing.

engineer

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 02:15 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

Data like this is not misleading, it merely has other variables that have to be accounted for. Real life data is often like this. I am trying to measure how A impacts B, but C, D and E all also impact B, so I control for what I can and I randomize the rest.

Come on Engineer! You are arguing that higher test results mean higher test results. It is easy, yet quite bogus, to use a test to validate itself.

No, I am arguing that on average higher test results means higher knowledge levels and while that might not be true in every specific case, in aggregate, it is clearly correlated.

maxdancona wrote:
The question is whether these tests are a measure of meaningful education. Your obfuscations about As and Bs and Basketball players have nothing to do with this question. Basketball is a great example of one of my points, the object of basketball is clear-- the team with the highest score wins. Test scores are nothing like this. Test scores don't have any meaning outside of a meaningless test.

The objective of our education system is clear as well: transfer of knowledge and skills from one generation to the next. In basketball, the test of the transfer of basketball knowledge and skill is a higher score. That doesn't mean that the score is always reflective of the team's ability, but on average, game after game, it will be a pretty good indicator. Test scores are the same. If the children have the knowledge, the average score is going to reflect that. If they don't, it will reflect that as well. Do you really believe that children who have not received the skills and knowledge they are being tested on will do well on the test anyway? If there is no correlation between the test results and the knowledge they are being tested on then you must believe that poor knowledge will yield high scores with the same likelihood of poor knowledge yielding low scores and of high knowledge yielding high scores. I don't know of anyone who would believe that statement.
maxdancona wrote:

Basketball scores are the point of the game. Making test scores the point of education is exactly what I object so strongly to.

But that is different than saying test scores are not indicative of knowledge. I understand the objection to high stakes testing. I disagree that tests are not a valid way to measure student knowledge.

maxdancona wrote:
Let's talk about the issues at hand without obfuscation. Here are my hypotheses.

1. I assert (and open to discussion) that standardized test results do not accurately measure education in any meaningful way.

What observations do you base this hypothesis on? Why do you feel that a standardized test result does not measure education? Do you believe that standardized tests measure student knowledge, but that student knowledge and education are not the same?
maxdancona wrote:

2. I assert that standardized tests are harmful to the process of good education. As evidence I submit that a clear majority of teachers will tell you as much.

But anecdotal evidence is not a good basis for forming a good hypothesis. That is how we get "Joe the Plumber" type politics. So specifically, why does taking a stanardized test harm education? I would counter argue that "education" includes both the daily activity in the classroom and also the macroscopic system that the classroom exists in. The results of testing is routinely used to assess where the deficiencies are in curriculums, what non-school factors can be used to identify at risk students and what new programs might have the most impact in helping children and the conclusions drawn from these studies have been both insightful and helpful in improving our education system. If these tests are meaningless, the alternative is just to try everything you can think of but never know if they work. How does it follow that this is better for education?
engineer

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 02:31 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I could imagine a study that compared how some aspect of performance in life, be it educational level, or salary or something else differed between tested students (or students from tested districts) with non-tested students. This would be a valid and interesting study.

That would be interesting, but the school system in question would have to ignore all other results generated from testing like those posted earlier about the impact of single parent homes on math scores. I doubt a school system like that exists, at least in the US.
maxdancona wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't think any such study has been done meaning that as far as the effectiveness of testing to do anything beyond raising test scores , your emotional arguments and anecdotal stories are no better then mine.

The positive impacts of these tests are circumstantial at best.

But I can point to studies like the one mentioned above. I can find situations where pre-K programs came into existance based on data showing the impact of pre-K education on performance in later grades. I can show you hard studies on the impact of the Head Start program that completely justify its cost. These aren't anecdotal. It's not hard to find cases where data from test scores led to real life improvements in the education system. How can information like this not be helpful in understanding where to take your education system?

maxdancona wrote:
However, I can prove to you the negative effects of these tests. When I was teaching high school we had test preparation workshops that told us teachers how to raise test scores. We were instructed to focus on the mundane. This wasn't a mild distraction, this significantly took away from other educational goals, like teaching critical thinking skills or probing deeper for more understanding.

The fact that educators, who are the professionals who are actually responsible for education of our children, are widely opposed to testing should also tell you something.

But this is not a statement that testing does not yield meaningful information or that it is not an accurate way to measure the transfer of knowledge, it is an indictment of how that information is used. My understanding is that the reason professional educators are widely opposed to testing is not that the tests aren't accurate is measuring what children know it is that the data is often twisted to political ends and not analyzed in a way that produces an accurate picture of the entire educational landscape. I don't have any problem with that statement. It's hard to analyze data correctly and even more hard to use that data to fight political battles when anyone with a chip on his shoulder and a spreadsheet can twist complicated data around to come up with an erroneous but nice sounding conclusion that fits their preconceived idea of how the world should be.
0 Replies