Open-Mindedness

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 05:52 pm
I stumbled upon an interesting video on youtube. Take a listen and see if you agree with the speaker's views on open-mindedness.

The video is described: "A look at some of the flawed thinking that prompts people who believe in certain non-scientific concepts to advise others who don't to be more open-minded."

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 687 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fresco

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 01:57 am
@Butrflynet,
If what we mean by "explanation" always requires "prediction and control" then the video makes a powerful case. However, some writers like Fritjof Capra, argue that these aspects of "explanation" are limited and "chauvinistic" attributes of human cognition based on our relative short history of "control" over the world. It may be that "facts" are socially constructed based on common physiology and needs. Therefore the video may largely be a synopsis about "science" and its detractors, rather than being applicable to the analysis of "reality" in general.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 11:27 am
@Butrflynet,
Thanks for posting this excellent challenge. I will have to think about it for a while before responding.

BBB
0 Replies

NAACP

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 05:20 pm
I think I understand what this video is pointing out, but why do we need things pointed out to us? Isn't each individual going to live out their lives the way they ultimately see fit anyway? It just seems like the product of boredom to me......talking itself is selfish if you ask me but whatever.
0 Replies