This is what I'm getting Wally for Christmas

chai2

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 02:05 pm
http://beta-media.ed.edmunds-media.com/pictures/EVOX/2011/Ford/2011.ford.mustang.20338705-E.jpg
http://beta-media.ed.edmunds-media.com/pictures/EVOX/2011/Ford/2011.ford.mustang.20338706-E.jpg
http://beta-media.ed.edmunds-media.com/pictures/EVOX/2011/Ford/2011.ford.mustang.20338711-E.jpg

What's New for 2011
Following up on interior and exterior revisions last year, the 2011 Ford Mustang receives all-new engines this year, including a 305-horsepower V6 and a 412-hp V8. They're backed up to new six-speed manual and automatic transmissions. Other changes include a switch to electric power steering (from hydraulic), larger brakes, revised suspension tuning, added noise insulation, additional body bracing for the GT convertible, blind-spot mirrors and Ford's MyKey system.

Introduction
Frankly, this isn't the Ford we used to know. With the venerable Mustang coming off a host of big changes just last year, including updated styling, a higher-quality interior and new features, we would have thought nothing would change for the 2011 Mustang. Old Ford would have declared this good enough and kicked back on the porch with a beer in hand. But today's Ford, the one that's been building impressive cars like the Flex and Fusion, has reloaded yet again, and for 2011 it's targeted the 2010 'Stang's primary weakness: powertrains.

We'll start with the V6. No longer is it a woefully underachieving lump that hadn't changed much since the 1990s. The 2011 Ford Mustang's new 3.7-liter V6 now has all-aluminum construction, dual overhead camshafts and variable valve timing. It's enough to crank out 305 hp, or just 10 hp less than last year's V8. Torque is up by 40 pound-feet as well, to give you 280 lb-ft; that screeching sound you hear is a Mustang V6 actually doing a respectable burnout.

Power is still sent to the rear wheels, of course, but this time it's channeled through either a six-speed manual transmission or a six-speed automatic. The extra gears help the Mustang V6 earn a laudable 31 mpg highway EPA fuel economy estimate. This year's V8 has been given a jolt of adrenaline as well. Bumped up in displacement to 5.0 liters, it has four valves per cylinder and dual overhead cams. Peak output is a rip-roaring 412 hp and 390 lb-ft of torque. Both transmissions for the V8-powered Mustang GT (manual and automatic) are similarly upgraded to six-speed units.

Of course, there is still room for improvement. The Mustang is still lacking a telescoping steering wheel, for instance, and we would be remiss if we didn't point out that these new engines have raised the Mustang's price by about a grand. Even so, it seems money very well spent. The Chevrolet Camaro still takes top honors for dramatic styling, and the Dodge Challenger is surprisingly lovable in an old-school muscle car sort of way. But if you're looking for the best all-around pony car of 2011, you need not look any further than the holistically improved 2011 Ford Mustang.

Body Styles, Trim Levels, and Options
The 2011 Ford Mustang is available as a coupe or convertible. There are four trim levels: V6, V6 Premium, GT and GT Premium. The base V6 starts with 17-inch alloy wheels, a limited-slip rear differential, keyless entry, side spotter mirrors, cruise control, air-conditioning, full power accessories and a CD audio system with an auxiliary audio jack. The V6 Premium adds upgraded 17-inch wheels, leather upholstery, a power driver seat, Ford's Sync system, color-adjustable gauges, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, upgraded interior trim and a Shaker 500 stereo system.

Options on the base Mustang V6 include an exterior appearance package and an anti-theft system. The V6 Premium unlocks a slew of packages and options in addition to those available on the base model, including the Pony package and Mustang Club of America Special Edition (both consist of various exterior styling enhancements), the Comfort package (power passenger seat, heated front seats, auto-dimming rearview mirror) and the Electronics package (voice-activated navigation system with travel link, automatic climate control). Also available are remote start, a performance 3.31:1 rear-axle ratio, xenon headlamps, a glass roof, a tonneau cover for convertible models and a back-up camera (which requires the Electronics package). A V6 Performance package (late availability) gets you the suspension and brakes from the GT plus 19-inch wheels, summer tires and a recalibrated stability control system.

The Mustang GT can be outfitted with a Brembo Brake package, which includes more powerful brakes, 19-inch wheels, summer tires and the recalibrated stability control system. Two performance axles (3.55:1 and 3.73:1) are also available. The GT Premium can be had with all the V6 Premium's and GT's options plus an array of 18-inch and 19-inch wheels, a California Special package (more exterior styling variations) and a more powerful Shaker 1000 sound system (not available with the Electronics package).

Powertrains and Performance
The Mustang V6 has a new 3.7-liter engine producing 305 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque. The Mustang GT has a new 5.0-liter V8 good for 412 hp and 390 lb-ft of torque. Both have a six-speed manual transmission as standard and a six-speed automatic as optional.

In our performance testing, the GT went from zero to 60 mph in a very quick 4.8 seconds. Fuel economy isn't too shabby, either. The Mustang V6 coupe earns an estimate of 19 mpg city/31 mpg highway with the automatic transmission. With the manual, the highway estimate drops to 29 mpg. The GT has an 18/25 mpg rating with the automatic and 17/26 mpg with the manual.

Safety
Antilock four-wheel disc brakes, front-seat side airbags, side spotter mirrors and stability control are standard on all Mustangs. Also standard is Ford's MyKey system, which allows owners to set up driving restrictions for young drivers.

In government crash tests, the 2011 Ford Mustang coupe and convertible earned a top five-star rating for its protection of occupants in frontal and side-impact collisions. In Insurance Institute for Highway Safety testing, the Mustang coupe earned a top score of "Good" in the frontal-offset test and "Acceptable" (the second highest of four ratings) in the side-impact tests. The convertible earned a Good rating for both tests.

Interior Design and Special Features
The Mustang's cabin retains its characteristic retro design while also boasting respectable materials quality. The result won't fool you into thinking you're driving a luxury coupe, but it's a notably nicer interior than we're used to seeing in a Mustang.

The steering wheel doesn't telescope, but most drivers will still find seating to be comfortable. Major controls are simple to operate and the seats are comfortable. The optional Sync system provides useful voice-integration technology for music and Bluetooth functions. Both the Mustang coupe and the convertible offer seating for four; while average-size adults can fit in back, they'll be a bit cramped. Trunk capacity is a functional 12.3 cubic feet in the coupe and 9.7 in the convertible.

Driving Impressions
In a word, wow. The engine upgrades for the 2011 Ford Mustang have revitalized the car's performance. The V6 model is no longer the butt of rental-fleet jokes, as it now quite quick, particularly when fitted to the slick-shifting manual transmission. The new six-speed automatic is a mixed bag; it upshifts early to maximize fuel economy and lacks shift paddles, but thankfully there's enough power from the V6 to keep the car feeling lively. The new 5.0-liter V8, meanwhile, really hauls the mail, cranking out thumping performance all the way to its 7,000-rpm limit. It sounds great while doing it, too.

The 2011 Mustang's suspension has been retuned, and the car, particularly in GT guise, is tied-down and controlled. Compared to the Camaro and Challenger, the Mustang feels the most nimble, no doubt helped by its lower curb weight. The rear suspension is still a solid rear axle design, but Ford has done a pretty amazing job at minimizing the inherent ride-quality limitations that come along with it. The company has also done well with the 2011 Mustang's new electric-assist power steering, as it feels natural and responsive.

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 02:53 pm
that is niiiiiiiiice.

And he fully deserves it
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 02:55 pm
@chai2,
SWEET, Chai. He must be a GOOD husband.

David
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 02:58 pm
Does the kit include glue?
0 Replies

Wally Tea

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 03:13 pm
@chai2,
Thanks, sweetie! I am almost finished with the one you gave me for our anniversary.

http://image2.onlineauction.com/auctions//42710/yjht-1032088-1.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 03:46 pm
@chai2,
Cool, looks almost as good as the '64..

teasing, this is great, Chai.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 03:54 pm
Love the car and love the colour, dinky toy or real. Niiiiiice. Can I have one, too?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 03:59 pm
@Wally Tea,
WALLY!!!!

Get out of here! You're ruining the surprise!

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 04:41 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

that is niiiiiiiiice.

And he fully deserves it

Yes, he's been a very good boy. Wink
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 05:19 pm
I'm getting nuttin' for Christmas
Mommy and Daddy are mad
Cause I ain't been nuttin' but bad

I broke my bat on Johnny's head
Somebody snitched on me
I hid a frog in Sister's bed
Somebody snitched on me

I spilled some ink on Mommy's rug
I made Tommy eat a bug
Bought some gum with a penny slug
Somebody snitched on me

Mommy and Daddy are mad

I put a tack on Teacher's chair
Somebody snitched on me
I tied a knot in Susie's hair
Somebody snitched on me

I did a dance on Mommy's plants
Climbed a tree and tore my pants
Filled that sugar bowl with ants
Somebody snitched on me

Mommy and Daddy are mad

So you better be good whatever you do
Cause if you're bad I'm warning you
You'll get nuttin for Christmas
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 05:26 pm
I'm pretty excited by all this.

When we met, he was driving a maroon '68 coupe.

http://carcrazy.ca/images_cars/2007-03-26-17-03-02-lg.jpg

He went off and married a woman who was a spendthrift, and he had to sell it.
Since then, all his vehicles have been used POS's.

Some years back, when he got a settlement, he went a bought himself a 1959 Pontiac Bonneville.

http://www.hassinen.eu/1959Pontiac-bonneville.jpg

Of course, mostly it just sits in the back of the driveway. It's not really a car to just drive all all around.

The car he uses now is my old 2001 Corolla, which he got when I bought a 2008.
I looked at his car the other day and thought, "this things going downhill. I guess I'll buy another economy car, and give him mine"

That bothered me though, because I really don't care what I drive as long as it gets good mileage, and is cheap. I was just going to get a Ford Fiesta. I thought it was sad that he's never had a brand new car, ever in his life.

So today I said to him. "why don't you get the Fiesta, and I'll keep mine?"
He said "naw, if I was going to do that, I'd get a corolla"

Me: "why?"
Him: "I just like them better." Then, without any thought he said "I'd really like a convertible"

Me: "Then why don't we get one? Why don't we get a brand new mustang convertible?"

It was like it never occured to him that he could actually get himself a new car that was what he really wanted. I could see it in his eyes. I made up my mind right then that's what he was going to get.....what he wanted.

I'll be honest, I've had a rough few years with Wally. Not so much any medical condition, it's just been very rough between....us.

sigh...ok, I might as well just come out with it.

He got himself addicted to perscription pain medications, and I went down the rabbit hole with him. On top of that, he has long suffered depression. I was too close to the situation, and couldn't make rhyme nor reason with what was going on with him, or with us. If you had told me less than 2 years ago that he'd be alive today, I wouldn't have believed you. I'm not going to say any more, but it was just really bad.

Shewolf knows a lot of what was going on, and I will publicly say I am so grateful for you Melissa. Having someone listen, who was not judgemental, meant so much. Thank you for being there.

Anyway, things turned a corner sometime this year, and Wally is making great progress in his journey back into the land of the living. He's getting help medically and phychologically, and has new friends that care about him.

I'm hoping having something brand new and special to call his own will encourage him to think of himself the same way.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 05:33 pm
Aw, that was so sweet. You're so surprising, Chai. You started out on one band and ended up totally on another. Good post. And the whole thing was niiice. As nice as the Maroon car and the convertible. And I agree about Melissa.

what the hell is "down the rabbit hole"?
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 11:06 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
what the hell is "down the rabbit hole"?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EL89v0AQHIA/SxFr8WUhDNI/AAAAAAAAAjc/RAzTaSDMTX0/s1600/down-the-rabbit-hole.jpg
http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/alicepic/disney-movie/alice-in-front-of-rabbit-hole.jpg
http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/alicepic/disney-movie/alice-falling-down-rabbit-hole-1.jpg
http://www.eastsidepatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/AliceInWonderland-DownTheRabbitHole-011.jpg
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 01:51 am
@Butrflynet,
Please accept my ADMIRATION
for your ability with computers,
that u can make them DO that: I stand in awe,
and I sit in ignorance.

What is the best way for someone like me to LEARN computer sagacity like yours ??????

David
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 12:48 pm
Just came back from my bank, got a car loan approved.

3.33%, pretty darn good.
George

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 02:33 pm
@chai2,
I'll say!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 01:38 pm
Ok!

We've got it on order, it'll take 6 to 8 weeks to come in.

It's in Kona Blue, like the initial pictures, but with some features added.
It's going to have a hood scoop, side scoops and pedestal spoiler, like in the picture below. We also added black leather seats.

He debated for awhile between the Grabber Blue and Kona Blue, but finally went with Kona. When he took it for the test drive, he later said he thought at one point he was doing about 35, merging onto a highway, but when he looked down at the speedometer, he was doing closer to 70.

http://l.images.easyautosales.com/2011-Ford-Mustang-22643830-856.jpg
http://forums.themustangsource.com/gallery/files/8/8/2/0/0/gtcs_1.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 01:41 pm
@chai2,
I'm assuming the element of surprise is out of the formula??? Sad

I hear if you buy your cars at bulk rate at Costco you can get them at a great rate ... and you can gift them to several dozen people... ((((hint hint nudge nudge wink wink)))).
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 06:33 pm
We picked up the new car today!

Weeeee!
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 06:35 pm
@chai2,
AWESOME!!!!!!!!

this .. i gotta photograph :0)
0 Replies