What would be the result of allowing Thread starters to Police thread participation?

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:56 pm
I think that it would make the factions even more adversarial then they already are, that it would lead to more fracture of a2k. There are many who would resist the urge to use that power against views and personalities that they don't like, but power never goes unused, it would be used. Even a few post deletions by a person towards a particular other person is most of the time going to result in hard feelings, and a desire for revenge. Is this really the atmosphere that we aspire too?

Idiot Bill is full of **** as usual with his claim that demented trolls are deliberately hurting people's feelings . First, he does not know the minds of anyone but his own, or perhapses a few that he knows in real life, or maybe not his own even. Second, all we are doing here is talking, if people are getting their feelings hurt on a virtual meeting place to the degree that they feel assaulted then they really need to work on themselves, because that is just a ridiculous level of fragility that is not at all good for the collective.

The right way to deal with "trolls" is to ignore them unless it seems that they are being taken seriously, at which point the trolls should be made fools of with facts and evidence. People rarely take seriously views from people who are consistently proven to be wrong. It was always a mistake to try to clean up a2k by limiting minority and/or unsavoury views, such an act is the subversion of democracy. For better or worse we do not have kings any more, we need to do the best we can together, weakening ourselves by limiting views that we dont like is a foolish detriment to our long term best interests. If we have learned anything in life we should have learned that often what we dont want to believe turns out to be true, and that all to often the bastards are right.

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 07:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
I thought the very nature of trolls is that they really don't care about facts and figures or even the appearance of truth. Ignoring them is ... for the most part ... the best idea in theory ... until they spread their irrelevant malice into relatively harmless threads that usually don't attract such ill will.

Thread stalkers need to be exorcised when they reach a critical mass of unstoppable harassment whose repugnant activity can be prevented if that person was thrown out of the forum when it's obvious that person can't handle his or her interactions in a reasonable and sane measure.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 07:33 pm
Good grief, he is calling others trolls?
Below viewing threshold (view)
hingehead

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 08:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy32/Sonicbowling/TROLL.jpg

The trouble is that not everyone picks up that the troll is an obvious troll immediately, so newbies to the troll will respond, spreading the smell of used kitty litter even to those who have the troll on ignore.

I don't think thread creators should act as thread moderators. I don't think many would bother anyway.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 08:53 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

I don't think thread creators should act as thread moderators. I don't think many would bother anyway.

Well considering the thread creator is generally too biased toward the thread's thesis, you make an excellent point Hingehead. They may not be the best judge at moderating their own thread or otherwise the thread would just be written to preach to the converted.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
I hadn't realised that Robert was proposing it. Seems kind of weird/over the top. Ignore is working for me. One person's troll is another person's visionary, I guess. Maybe we should have a special A2K only populated by trolls? That would be funny for about 15 minutes.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:29 pm
@hingehead,
hinge, I would recommend you go read rob's thread.

it's not quite the situation that chicken little makes it out to be...

(hard to believe, i know...)
hingehead

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:32 pm
@Rockhead,
Thanks Rock, will go look.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 10:01 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
hinge, I would recommend you go read rob's thread.

it's not quite the situation that chicken little makes it out to be...

I am unaware of another thread on this subject. I am aware that Robert has said several times over that last 6 months that he is considering giving thread starters significant control over threads, to include deleting other peoples posts. I have not claimed any more than this, but if Robert is no longer considering doing this then I stand corrected.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:57 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
Good grief, he is calling others trolls?

Unbelievable, ain't it?
Intrepid

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 04:23 am
@Setanta,
I am aghast!
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 04:26 am
@Intrepid,
Quote:
I am aghast!
and off topic...believe it or not, not all threads need to be about me. Arn't you tired of beating that dead horse? You could always give an opinion on what would happen if thread starters had editing power....for novelty sake if nothing else.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 04:30 am
Given that no one has proposed any such thing for this site, one wonders why you would indulge such a fantasy. Then we see you attacking your asshole buddy in the most current rape thread and the men whining about women thread, and calling him a troll. Most people around here consider you a troll, so it is hilarious, and sad.

What's really pathetic is you saying not every thread needs to be about you. That's what you attempt to make the point of every thread you jump into--Rapist Boy, the fearless crusader for truth and freedom of speech.

You crack me up, Bubba.
Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 04:41 am
By the say, from the most current rape thread (always a magnet for the Rapist Boy, here), this is RG's post which the Rapist Boy is whining about:

Quote:
Right now what I am leaning towards is letting thread starters moderate their own threads, but banning is a hammer and not everything is a nail. Whether or not this thread is a better place with or without Bill is not what you should be asking yourself, but whether this site is a better place or not with the rules that would need to be in place to ban him.

So for context, folks, know that Hawkeye is probably scared that this would happen (and RG hasn't said that it will), and he's lashing out at BillRM, believing him to be at fault. Personally, although i'm tired of BillRM and his semi-literate bullshit, i don't think anyone should be banned for anything short of death threats or obvious gross cruelty. And i certainly wouldn't want to see the Rapist Boy banned, because it is so easy to run him off a topic where he is just posting bullshit.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 04:45 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Given that no one has proposed any such thing for this site, one wonders why you would indulge such a fantasy
such things I assume you mean the thread topic, letting thread starters police the thread.

From Yesterday

Quote:
Right now what I am leaning towards is letting thread starters moderate their own threads, but banning is a hammer and not everything is a nail. Whether or not this thread is a better place with or without Bill is not what you should be asking yourself, but whether this site is a better place or not with the rules that would need to be in place to ban him.

http://able2know.org/topic/158723-208

To "moderate" is usually understood to mean to edit or delete posts as needed , and in this quote I think Robert is clearly spitballing letting thread originators decide who is allowed to post in the thread and who is not. All unwelcome posts will be deleted, as Firefly clearly wishes she had to power to delete bill and I from that thread. She occasionally give a back of the hand compliment that we have value by demonstrating ignorance, but in total she makes it clear that we should STFU.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 04:48 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Then we see you attacking your asshole buddy in the most current rape thread and the men whining about women thread, and calling him a troll
your comprehension skills need a lot of work. I was not talking about anyone in particular, I was talking theory of community management and structure, I was talking about trolls not having any person in mind.

1. Forums
  2. » What would be the result of allowing Thread starters to Police thread participation?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 12:55:34