fealola

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 03:41 pm
I got my Christmas present early. Exactly what I asked for-- TIVO!
YIPPEEE! HOORAY!

This thread is for people who have it, love it or hate it or have questions on using it.

Discuss the virtues and pitfalls. Or are you just curious?

Last night I watch my first selection. A fantastic film "The Sweet Smell of Success" thank you James Wong Howe!

So watch out you A2K film game players, I'm gonna catch up now!

Do you have one? Do you want one?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,871 • Replies: 14
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 04:22 pm
I don't have one, though it might be a nice addition. With DirecTV and all the digital OTA stuff, there's way too much to watch and it all tends to be on at the same time. They are supposed to come out with the HD version in the next few months.

By the way, you're gonna shoot your eye out with that thing.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 06:52 pm
Is that HD TIVO?

(Hey! It's a Major Award!)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 06:55 pm
Is it worth the cost if you don't have cable or satellite and already have a VCR?
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 07:04 pm
I'd say onlly if you are a heavy regular TV watcher. There is a monthy fee of about $12.00 and the machines are in the $200-300 range I think.

I find that it's worth it for me, because I have full cable with all the movie channels and never have time to watch with all the interruptions. (That's a waste). I never go to the movies these days, and have spent too much money at Blockbuster especially with late fees!

There are hundreds of movies to choose from this way. Recent and classics in addition to the series available.

I also like the fact that you can pause and rewind live TV. I don't like being tied down to the TV.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 10:56 am
Yes, HD TIVO.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 10:59 am
I just saw that on my TIVO last night. So, I'm going to be obsolete already! ? Who can keep up?
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 12:07 pm
fealola.... Merry Christmas!!.... that's a great present!!

I have a super-simple basic question....

Does "TIVO" replace DirecTV..... would I need to replace my DirecTV dish on top of my house, and stop my service with DirecTV?

What is "HD TIVO".... what do these letters stand for?

(I know nothing about TV services... I just pay my monthly bill to DirecTV!!)

PaL
:-)
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 12:16 pm
HD is High Defintion.

You can use TIVO with Direct TV.

I think you can get TIVO as an add-on with Direct TV also. I know you can get it with other satelite or dish services. You should check with Direct TV if you're interested.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 12:51 pm
I saw a Porsche Carerra 4 the other day with the license plate "TIVO 1".

Note where I live.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 12:53 pm
Oooh, could have been Mr. Tivo!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 04:09 pm
I bought the Panasonic DMR - E80HS Digital Recorder with VCR Plus (it finds and records programs using the same numbers as VCR Plus or it can be programmed manually). It's wonderful -- have all my daily and weekly shows already set up and it has no monthly fee. It will also burn a DVD Ram (rewrittable) or make a finalized standard DVD (you can't erase it).

None of the recorders will presently record high definition.

The only drawback is that unless I were to install and AB switch and put in another cable box, I can't record off of premium channels. There are all on VOD (Video on Demand) anyway (including the entire recent "Angels in America" which I have now seen three times!) So for time shifting, it's no problem. If I really wanted to download a movie or a premium cable program (like the new season of"Curb Your Enthusiasm" which premiered this week and I slobbered over Laughing ) and make a DVD, I'd install another cable box for a few bucks a month.

The best price on the unit (or for any unit of this type) was at this site:

PANASONIC DMR
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 04:12 pm
The problem with HD recording is it will take up over twice as much space on the harddrive and the DVD recorders are a couple of years out from the latest news. Then the DVD blanks that are capable of the three layers will cost a bundle.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 04:17 pm
That sounds great! I would get the new cable box tho'. That would keep you really busy!. I finally got Episode One of Angels in America the other day. Now I can finally watch it.
The only problem I have with TIVO is sharing with 3 other people. If you're recording something and someone wants to watch something else on live TV, they can bump your recording. But I hear that can be rectified with some kind of splitter.

I've watched more movies in the last few week than I have in years. Last night "Lolita"!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 08:48 pm
Auto renew on my machine will automatically record over the previous program (same show, same time and date). I don't have that on because, for instance, I record shows I might not watch for weeks. There is a archival feature on TIVO which gives you your own private space on the harddrive.
0 Replies