Opera singer Dame Joan Sutherland died

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 05:34 pm
Quote:
Washington Post Opera singer Dame Joan Sutherland died last night at her home in Switzerland after a long illness. She was 83. Luciano Pavarotti always credited Sutherland for having taught him about sound vocal technique. He once called her “the greatest female voice of all time.”

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-classical-beat/2010/10/joan_sutherland_addio_stupenda.html

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,970 • Replies: 5
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 06:39 pm
Thank you for posting this. I had no idea that she was of my parent's generation. In fact, I knew very little about her.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 08:41 pm
@plainoldme,
She's one of the very few female opera singers that I could stand to listen to for very long, especially the extremely high-noted sopranos. Some of their notes feel like they are piercing my ear drums.

I've been listening to several interviews of hers today where she talks about the technical aspects of the singing voice. She's amazing.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:17 am
@Butrflynet,
As the WaPo article mentioned, Sutherland was a big woman with a big voice. In particular, she had a large head, which, I think, helped produce her ringing vocal tone (Pavarotti was another singer with a large head). Really, Sutherland should have gone into the meatier soprano roles -- Wagner and Puccini -- rather than bel canto. Her vocal technique was so good, however, that she became immersed in the bel canto revival of the 1950s. She performed several important roles in Chicago -- unfortunately, a few years too early for me to have seen her. Later in her career her voice became rather woofy -- an occupational hazard for sopranos of a certain dimension -- and she probably retired a couple of years after her "use by" date. Her last role, as Marguerite in Les Huguenots, was a perfect send-off vehicle: one glittering virtuoso aria and then not much else to do over the course of five acts. Still, she was universally respected as both a performer and a mentor to younger singers. She will be missed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 12:04 pm
I'm very glad that I was able to hear/see her in a performance of Anna Bolena in 1984. Late enough in her career that it wasn't her best voice - but still extraordinary.

I'm not an opera fan but it was an amazing voice to hear.
0 Replies

RonPrice

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 06:44 am
JOAN SUTHERLAND

Yesterday was the funeral of soprano Dame Joan Sutherland(1926-2010) whom some have called the operatic voice of the 20th century. Three years ago she said that she “did not want to have anything to do with opera anymore.” Fair enough; she was 80 and had just broken both her legs! Readers of this prose-poem can google all sorts of words of encomium and very little opprobrium about her life. I can hardly add anything to what is known. I am not even an opera buff. I have not read her autobiography published, as it was, in 1997 two years before I finished my 30++year teaching career. Sutherland started to seriously study voice in 1944, the year I was born. Like all babies I, too, was seriously studying voice, of course, in quite a different sense.

Sutherland became a star in 1959 when she sang at the Royal Opera House. 1959 was a big year for me; I joined the Baha’i Faith that year at the age of 15. I could follow my life and Sutherland’s to her death this week and to my own years of late adulthood and life on a pension here in Australia. But I shall take this prose-poem in a different direction; this quasi-eulogy on a person whose voice possessed a crystal-clarity, the finest of diction and was incredible, miraculous.2 The word ‘opera’ comes from the Latin and means ‘work.’ It was invented, writes art critic Kenneth Clark, in the seventeenth century and made into an art form by the Italian composer Claudio Monteverdi(1517-1643). Opera houses were often the largest buildings in a town or city especially in Catholic countries. They came in when churches were going out, Clark continues.1-Ron Price with thanks to 1Kenneth Clark, Civilization, Penguin, NY, 1969, p. 169; and 2 “Joan Sutherland: 1926-2010,” Andrew Patner: The View From Here, 11 October 2010.

People sit and listen to words
they do not understand and to
a plot they do not know---such
an irrational entertainment; it’s
a display of skill and the words
are sung because they are just
too silly, too subtle, too deeply
felt, or too revealing to be said.

There is a very real extension of
human feelings and faculties in a
world where the pursuit of love &
happiness, which had once been so