The AARP -- is it worth joining?

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 07:29 pm
The geezerhood thread reminded me of all the AARP stuff I've been getting in the mail.

Is anyone here a member of the AARP?

How much does it cost?

What are the benefits and which ones have you used?

Do you think it's worth it or do you think it's baloney?

Thanks!

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 07:33 pm
@boomerang,
I'm a member. I don't remember what the annual dues are any more; I have them deducted automatically from my bank account. They're certainly not exhorbitant, less than being a National Geographic Society member, I believe. Is it worth it? Well, you do get some discounts with your AARP card at car rental places, for example, and other venues as well. But I really believe in supporting AARP because they're the lobbying arm for senior-friendly legislation in Washington, DC.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 07:35 pm
@boomerang,
What, you want endless mail?

You're young yet, aren't you?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 10:23 am
@Merry Andrew,
AARP is cleverly fronting for insurance companies. They do some good, but insurance is their core.

BBB
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 10:26 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:
But I really believe in supporting AARP because they're the lobbying arm for senior-friendly legislation in Washington, DC.

This is precisely why i stopped paying my dues to AARP. They signed on for the Medicare bill in Bush's first term, which was not in the interest of those concerned. I personally think they're a shill organization for conservative political interests.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 11:07 am
No. It's forum is full of ultra-right people that put okie, icon and H2Oman to shame and make massagatto look reasonable. What is worse is most of them are functional illiterates.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 11:08 am
@Setanta,
I am so glad to see someone else agrees with me on that!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 06:51 pm
AARP membership fees is a waste of money. You can usually get a discount if you're a senior over 55 years old. Some require older age, but the trick is to ask for a senior discount. I quit AARP many years ago, but still receive health insurance offers in the mail regularly. That goes into the trash without it being opened.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 06:14 pm
Actually, AAA is a better source of discounts than AARP. The teacher's union is as well.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 07:51 pm
Color me convinced. I'll save my money. The AAA deal might be a good idea. My car is pretty ancient!
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 05:04 am
@boomerang,
Our two cars and are home are insured by AAA. Good service and price.

I used to have State Farm insurance for many years. I got so mad at them when they treated the Katrina flood victims so badly, I canceled them. Saved me more than $600 a year, too.

BBB
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 05:38 am
@boomerang,
I agree, join AAA--it's a good deal, and they woni't lobby away your retirement financial security.
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 05:49 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
What is worse is most of them are functional illiterates.

Quote:
It's forum is full of ultra-right people....

Quote:
The teacher's union ....

Laughing Laughing Laughing

electronicmail

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 11:20 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

No. It's forum is full of ultra-right people that put okie, icon and H2Oman to shame and make massagatto look reasonable. What is worse is most of them are functional illiterates.

Your opinion of political content is every bit as worthless as your opinion of literary content. My parents were AARP members and happy with it, especially their policies for medical coverage.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 09:56 pm
@electronicmail,
Why are you laughing? Do you enjoy childishly cutting and pasting? You could go to a store tomorrow and purchase some paper dolls which should satisfy your needs and amuse you quite well.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 09:57 pm
@electronicmail,
Rootie-toot-toot.

Do your parents participate in the AARP forum? If not, shut up, because your parents are not relevant.
electronicmail

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 06:43 am
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:

plainoldme wrote:
What is worse is most of them are functional illiterates.

Quote:
It's forum is full of ultra-right people....

Quote:
The teacher's union ....

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dear plain-old-me
You ask why I'm laughing? Read your own posts.
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 07:36 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Rootie-toot-toot.

Yep. Have a good day ma'am.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 08:28 am
@boomerang,
I'm calling your bluff Boomerang! You can't be old enough to qualify for AARP!

You young whippersnapper! According to your avatar? I'll guess your 10 years old! Neutral
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 10:42 am
@tsarstepan,
No, he's gotta be at least 12 years old.
0 Replies