Symbolizing Arguments

HexHammer

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 09:38 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
You think a hammer is a weak tool because it cannot be used as a screw-driver? Or as a saw? You really could use a course in logic.
No, this ia good example of faulty logic, hammer and screwdrivers usally have a very wellknown useage, and have no subjectiveness/relativeness about them.
As I said before things such as numbers have a subjective and relative proberty about them, and therefore can desive people.
..it is you who should expand your knowledge about logic, as you have only understood the basic liniar logic, though you are very good at it.
north

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 10:30 pm
@chur4,
chur4 wrote:

(1) Is the following arguement symbolized properly?

If Bloor's argument has been INFLUENTIAL, then it is EVIDENCE which causes belief. So, since Bloor's argument has been influential, and if that argument is CORRECT, it is not evidence which causes belief, Bloor's argument must be incorrect.

I -> E, I, C-> ~E [therefore] ~ C

(2) How do you symbolize the following argument?

I have still other arguments against this strange imagination that space is a PROPERTY of God. If it be so, space belongs to the ESSENCE of God. But space HAS parts: therefore there WOULD be parts in the essence of God. [But this is not true]

symbolic logic such a last place and unreasonable form of thinking

at times
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 10:34 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
You think a hammer is a weak tool because it cannot be used as a screw-driver? Or as a saw? You really could use a course in logic.
No, this ia good example of faulty logic, hammer and screwdrivers usally have a very wellknown useage, and have no subjectiveness/relativeness about them.
As I said before things such as numbers have a subjective and relative proberty about them, and therefore can desive people.
..it is you who should expand your knowledge about logic, as you have only understood the basic liniar logic, though you are very good at it.

But if you argue that because a tool cannot be used for everything that it is a weak tool, then why is not the example of a hammer not a good example of a tool that is not weak because it cannot do what (say) a saw or a screwdriver can do? In logic, this kind of argument is called, "refutation by counter-example". That means that a universal generalization of the form, "All A is B" can be refuted by pointing to an example of an A that is not a B. So, when you made the universal generalization, "all tools that cannot do everything are weak tools" I pointed out (quite logically) that since a hammer is not a weak tool, although it cannot do everything, your universal generalization is wrong. Now, I am afraid that I do not understand your reply to this, In particular I don't understand what the notion of subjectivity has to do with it. What kind of tools are subjective tools. And, is logic supposed to be a subjective tool so that since it cannot so everything it is weak? But even if it made sense to talk about a subjective tool, are you saying that logic is a subjective tool so that the fact it cannot do everything makes it a weak tool. In fact, just what are you saying, if you are saying anything at all?
HexHammer

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 11:28 pm
@kennethamy,
No, think you still miss my point, that there are no subjective nor relative values about your anology with tools, there are nothing that can be misunderstood, misleading, no lies ..etc.
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 06:34 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Wait do you mean Linear Logic as in this type of Logic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_logic wrote:

Linear logic is a substructural logic proposed by Jean-Yves Girard as a refinement of classical and intuitionistic logic, joining the dualities of the former with many of the constructive properties of the latter.[1] Although the logic has also been studied for its own sake, more broadly, ideas from linear logic have been influential in fields such as programming languages, game semantics, and quantum physics[2], particularly because of its emphasis on resource-boundedness, duality, and interaction.

I do not think Ken is using this. It seems as though he's using first order Logic. The kind of Logic you learn at the 100 and 300 level philosophy courses. But then again Hex, I have no clue what you are talking about.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 09:36 am
@Ding an Sich,
Ding an Sich wrote:

HexHammer wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Wait do you mean Linear Logic as in this type of Logic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_logic wrote:

Linear logic is a substructural logic proposed by Jean-Yves Girard as a refinement of classical and intuitionistic logic, joining the dualities of the former with many of the constructive properties of the latter.[1] Although the logic has also been studied for its own sake, more broadly, ideas from linear logic have been influential in fields such as programming languages, game semantics, and quantum physics[2], particularly because of its emphasis on resource-boundedness, duality, and interaction.

I do not think Ken is using this. It seems as though he's using first order Logic. The kind of Logic you learn at the 100 and 300 level philosophy courses. But then again Hex, I have no clue what you are talking about.

It does not follow from the premise that using a hammer to screw in a screw is not what a hammer should be used to do, that a hammer is a weak tool. Whatever anyone likes to call that fact of reasoning, that reasoning is correct. The name of that reasoning is doesn't matter a bit.
0 Replies