The Dumbest Generation

Linkat

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 10:50 am
@msolga,
I can vouch for my kids - they are definately able to filter me out when they want to.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 12:12 pm
@dyslexia,
LOL!!!!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 12:19 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
So do you think those under 30 are dumb?

I don't necessarily think they're dumb, but I do find myself wondering about things like concentration levels, how much information about what's going on around them is actually registering. The constant mobile phone conversations, text messaging, non-stop iPod listening, fiddling about with games on their mobiles ....
I'm wondering whether some of the students I've worked with have developed an incredible ability to concentrate on many, many things at the same time, or whether they're missing half of what's going on around them, deliberately filtering out out what doesn't interest or appeal to them.

I believe they are missing a lot of what is going on.

multi-tasking and doing all taskings being performed well is a myth.
HexHammer

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 04:38 pm
@Linkat,
I think it's due to "being a good mum", and not boss the kid around that too many many mumbs jumps on the obsessive compulsive mothering parade. Soo concerned about being "a good mum", because of their ignorence they can't let go of taking care of the kid, also the fact that we can afford this behaviour, we don't have to survive thus have much time and money to spare to spoil the kids.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 05:30 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I believe they are missing a lot of what is going on.

multi-tasking and doing all taskings being performed well is a myth.

Yes, that's what I've been thinking could be the case..
But it's more than just missing out on information, or not performing as well as they might, academically.
It's also things like not hearing/seeing/experiencing fully what's actually going on in the world around them, like missing the sounds of birds, or experiencing silence, even. All edited out. If they're not comfortable with silence, if their minds (& their hands, even) are always engaged & receiving "input", where is the time & the space for reflection, hearing your own thoughts, even? I often wonder about that.
0 Replies