Would you like to move from the big city to the countryside or reverse?

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 09:26 am
Would any A2Kers like to move away from their big city homes and jobs into the countryside and start a new life style?

Or---if you already live and work in the countryside, would you like to move and work in a big city?

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,337 • Replies: 17
No top replies

JTT

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 09:52 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
If I never see a big city again, it will be too soon.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 09:58 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
i miss some aspects of a bog city, but not enough to ever want to live in one again

i'd like to live even more rural that i do now
JPB

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 10:02 am
@djjd62,
I like being within easy travel distance to a major metropolitan area. I also like that I live in the middle of nowhere.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 10:03 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Would any A2Kers like to move away from their big city homes and jobs into the countryside and start a new life style?

Or---if you already live and work in the countryside, would you like to move and work in a big city?

BBB

No
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 10:04 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
i miss some aspects of a bog city, but not enough to ever want to live in one again

I wouldn't enjoy living in a bog city either.

Razz
ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 10:05 am
I tried leaving the big city once after I got here.

I ran back as fast as I could.

I am not a rural or suburban person.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 10:06 am
@Intrepid,
but think of the benefits, you'd never have to buy peat or cranberries again Wink
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 11:50 am
@djjd62,
I've lived in suburbs all of my life so I guess I've missed the big city and the countryside. What did I miss?

BBB
djjd62

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 11:58 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
where i am now, i can be in a good size woodlot in about half an hour (after a nice stroll through an orchard), it's a great place to watch the seasons change

where tai chi has her school is even better, more woods to explore

as for the city, live music, good restaurants are two things i miss, but i can live without them
ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 12:03 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
as for the city, live music, good restaurants are two things i miss, but i can live without them

what I learned (when I left Toronto) was that I don't thrive without lots of easy access to many genres of live music
failures art

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 12:36 pm
I think that urban living is best suited for me.

I've lived in three major settings.

Springfield, MO ~ pop. 250,000
Rolla, MO ~ pop. 13,000
Washington, DC ~ 5,400,000

I liked living in Rolla, and I know that there are places even more rural that it, but despite the simplicity, I felt it lacked diversity and some small town attitudes can be very prejudice. I didn't like being around that.

This is of course only my experience. Perhaps small town life outside of the USA is different?

A
R
T
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 12:40 pm
@ehBeth,
There is much more sweet music in the country.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 10:15 am
Grew up in the suburbs outside of NYC - loved it-could ride my bike everywhere but be in Times Square by bus inside of an hour.

Went to college in the country - on an actual working farm. Loved it.

Spent my twenties in the city (Philadelphia/Durham, NC) - loved that.

Spent my thirties in a small rural town of about 6,000. The nearest mall was forty miles away. The nearest big city was Portland, Maine - 1.5 hours away.
I'd been afraid to move there as I thought small towns meant small minds - but didn't find that to be true at all. It was the most wonderful place I could have chosen to raise my kids through their school-age years and we all have wonderful memories of that as one of our most favorite places that we lived.

Now I live in a very small rural village within 20 miles of a big city. Funnily enough, though I love live music and do attend quite a lot of live music events - I almost never have to go into the city to do so - now that I think of it . Tomorrow is the first time I will in ages actually - my son has invited me into Bristol to see this drum and bass group he loves.

I think for me it has depended on my life phase. But I will always enjoy living in the country and visiting cities more than the other way around. I need the outdoors, nature and beauty on a daily basis - it feeds me moreso than the hustle and bustle of the city. Although I do always enjoy visiting the city for a day or two.
But no - I will never move permanently from the country to a city- any city.
JPB

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 10:19 am
@aidan,
I always like Portland, ME too, aidan. Lovely small city with great culture for a city its size.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 10:31 am
I tend to go to extremes. If I'm not right in the heart of a major metropolis, I prefer to be out in the wilds with no neighbors peering over my backyard fence. Suburban living is not for me, nor one-horse whistle-stop towns.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 11:28 am
I would never like to live isolated in the countryside,
I like to have the possibility of walking distance to bus stops, stores and other things.
Now we live like that in a suburban area. Close to a larger city where I can go anytime I need polluted air and lots of life.
I grew up in a rather small town and lived in the middle of town. Very nice.
Now many areas have been incorporated and the town has become "the place to live" Population 90.000, ten golfcourses, yacht harbours, 11 libraries, good restaurants etc. Enjoy going there every year for vacation.
Have lived in five big cities in four foreign countries during my lifetime and also enjoyed that very much.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 02:35 pm
I have to have concrete. I'm urban. Living in a house somewhere would make me nervous.

I don't want just any urban area. I love New York. I was born here, educated here, and have lived here all my life. It's where I want to be.

I've been to lots of other cities. No thanks.
0 Replies