What do teachers mean by "structure"?

boomerang

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 11:19 am
@ehBeth,
So a teacher who provides structure is a teacher who is better able to direct a child to what needs to be done?

Am I getting there?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 11:23 am
@boomerang,
That's certainly how I understand it, although I'd take it a bit more 'lightly' than directs - more along the lines guides/provides the opportunity to ...

sort of like making it easier for the child to experience success
Linkat

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 11:28 am
@boomerang,
I had a conversation around "structure" in the classroom just the other day with a mom. She is home schooling her child for this reason - he needs structure or he works and learns best in a structured environment.

As our kids go (or in this case went) to the same school - we both know all the teachers pretty well - there is one teacher at each grade level so you do not get a choice or option for a different teacher. Any way, his mom was saying she was concerned about the teacher her son would be having so she home schooled him. As she had helped out at the school, she went into the classroom while school was in session and saw that the room for this teacher was a bit in disaray (back packs thrown about and such).

I mentioned (as my daughter is older) how this teacher wasn't so organized - she'd plan a test or project on one day - then change her mind - it was almost like you didn't know what to expect next. A very sweet caring teacher, but far from structured, organized and such.

So Mo, sounds like her little boy, he learns better when he knows what to expect, things are organized, and the classroom is orderly.

At least that is my impression of needing structure in the classroom. Just the way some kids learn better. Or I know sometimes knowing what is expected and being able to rely on your test will be Monday at 10:00am can take a lot of stress off of certain children.
Mame

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 11:29 am
@boomerang,
Okay, well then I'm flummoxed. Sorry I can't help you.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 11:29 am
@ehBeth,
Thank you for walking me through this!

I'm still not completely clear on the idea. It seems that the school is the one who provides the structure but perhaps the teacher is the agent of this structure.

You could almost replace the term structure with culture.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 11:31 am
@Linkat,
Real world experience can't be beat! Thank you for sharing that. It's much clearer now.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 11:31 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
he learns better when he knows what to expect, things are organized, and the 'x' is orderly.

I think a lot of life is easier that way.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 11:36 am
Great thead, Boom . . . i'm reading this with interest.
boomerang

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 12:28 pm
@Setanta,
Thank you.... well, thank everyone who responded, instead.

I feel a little like the "double rainbow all the way across the sky" guy -- completely clueless about something that most people understand easily.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 02:56 pm
Well phooey! I started to respond to this right after it was posted, then life intervened, and now what I was gonna post has been rendered moot by very good posts by others.

The only thing I can think to add is that every classroom is structured to some extent -- there is a basic communication of expectations, and a certain amount of predictability. The level of structure varies, though. "Structure," used by itself, tends to mean "highly structured" or "more structured."

Kids respond to structure in different ways. In third grade, there were four third-grade teachers -- two were known as "structured," two were not. Sozlet had one of the not-structured ones. That worked well for her -- there was a lot of meandering around and chatting and starting miscellaneous projects just for the heck of it. There was a baseline structure there -- knowledge of classroom responsibilities, schedules, etc. The teacher was organized and did things when she said she would, she wasn't flaky, though she was VERY laid-back. But there was a lot of embellishment upon the basic themes.

My friend's kid was in one of the more structured teachers' room, which worked better for him. (Classroom placements aren't random here from kindergarten on, unless you're new, and they usually match the kids with the kind of teacher that works best for them. There are exceptions I'm sure.) His class was not nearly as chatty or ad-hoc. Expectations were very clear, and the daily routine tended to be much more predictable on a minute-to-minute basis.

Both kids were happy in their respective classrooms. But if sozlet had been in class #2, she would've been bored, I think. If the other kid had been in class #1, he would've been overwhelmed, I think.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 03:19 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I've been talking to a lot of people about school(s) lately and one thing I hear over and over from an array of people with vastly different children is that they hear "your child needs structure" from the kid's teacher. When one of my friends reported that she heard this I started wondering about it -- her kid is the polar opposite of Mo (who, of course, "needs structure")

The more I hear this the less I understand it.

I'm really only interested in "structure" in the context it's used in schools.

Have you ever heard this from your kid's teacher?

What do you think they meant?

If you're a teacher, have you ever used this phrase?

What did you mean by it.

I've never really thought about it/questioned it before so I don't really have an opinion. That's why I'm curious about your opinion.

Thanks.

I think that what it means is formal as opposed to informal education...Informality may be the best teachers can manage since they, like their parents, have influence only, and no authority... With formal education, though the subjects are learned, the form is taught... Formal philosophers are trained in the formal approach to knowledge... I don't think this is necessarily inferior to other approaches, but that this approach does not demand or invite creative thinking, thought outside the box... It makes sense that before some one can think outside of the box that they must learn to think inside the box, with the box being the form...
0 Replies