The Third Locks Project of the Panama Canal

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 07:48 am
The Republic of Panama is expanding the Panama Canal by adding two sets of locks to accomodate a larger shipping volume. (one set of new locks on the Atlantic side and another set of new locks on the Pacific side) The project is known as The Third Set of Locks Project.

Why will the new locks be known as the "third" set of locks?

I lived in Panama in the 1970's and I am familiar with the locks which currently consist of the Gatun Locks (a set of locks on the Atlantic side); the Pedro Miguel locks near the Pacific side; and Miraflores locks also on the Pacific side. Okay, that's three sets of locks. Why is the new locks project called the "third" set of locks? It would seem the project (since there are already three sets of locks) would be called the "extra" set of locks, or the "fourth and fifth" set of locks.

Thanks in advance for information, comments, responses regarding the matter.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,595 • Replies: 4
No top replies

JTT

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 08:39 am
@easyasabc,
That's not as easyasabc to me, easyasabc.
easyasabc

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 09:27 am
@JTT,
Very funny! That's a good 'un!

And not as easy as one, two, THREE either. Abracadabra! Why is it being known as the Third set of locks when there are already three sets?

Of course there's an abundance of information on the net about the project, but none of it explains why it is referred to as the Third Set.

Ciao! Cheerio, etc., !

0 Replies

tarosemena

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 09:44 am
@easyasabc,
You are correct in saying that the Panama Canal has three locksĀ“ complexes. However, we refer to each lane as one set of locks. Currently, we have two lanes. We are now building the third lane or third set of locks.
easyasabc

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 10:49 am
@tarosemena,
Thank you tarosemena for your response and easy to understand answer. The question was posed by a student and I had no acceptable answer for her.

Thanks again.

I assume that the third set of locks will only have one lane.

0 Replies