Fantasy fiction 101

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:06 pm
@msolga,
That combination of story telling and humor is why I am such a huge fan of Pratchett's. I guffaw at least once every book. I often write quotes inside the covers.

I just found one jotted-down quote in Unseen Academicals:
Quote:
It wasn't that she didn't know how to smile; she was quite capable of smiling, if you gave her enough warning, but she positively hated having to smile at people who actually merited, instead, a flick around the earhole with a napkin.
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:16 pm
@msolga,
if you like terry pratchet for good story plus laughing out loud , read Christopher Moore
littlek

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:19 pm
@GoshisDead,
He looks promising!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:20 pm
@GoshisDead,
Thank you, Gosh.
You have no idea of how long my "must read" list has gotten! Smile
OK, Christopher Moore joins the others.
Any particular title/s you'd recommend?
dyslexia

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:21 pm
@littlek,
if I could read, you have me convinced I would read Pratchett.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:25 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Thank you, Gosh.
You have no idea of how long my "must read" list has gotten! Smile
OK, Christopher Moore joins the others.
Any particular title/s you'd recommend?

My favorites are in descending order
1. A Dirty Job
2. The Lust Lizard of Meloncholy Cove
3. Lamb
4. Fool
msolga

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:27 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
That combination of story telling and humor is why I am such a huge fan of Pratchett's. I guffaw at least once every book. I often write quotes inside the covers.

I know what you mean, k.
As I was listening (& chortling) in the wee small hours this morning, I kept thinking: "I must remember that! That's hilarious!"
But, of course, all has been lost in the cold, hard light of day.

Quote:
It wasn't that she didn't know how to smile; she was quite capable of smiling, if you gave her enough warning, but she positively hated having to smile at people who actually merited, instead, a flick around the earhole with a napkin.

Wonderful! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:27 pm
@GoshisDead,
Thank you, Gosh.
Much appreciated.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:28 pm
Pratchett-like authors (as described by people at this website: http://www.librarything.com/topic/11157 ):
Jasper Fforde
Douglas Adams
Tom Holt
Eoin Colfer
Gaiman
Robert Rankin
Ben Elton
Tansy Rayner Roberts
John Moore
Robert Asprin
Esther Friesner
etc.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:34 pm
More quotes

From Guards! Guards!
Quote:
...the food was good solid stuff for a cold morning, all calories and fat and protein and maybe a vitamin crying softly because it was all alone.

From Maskerade
Quote:
The satin slippers of the other dancers twinkled as they drifted across the floor, but the boots flashed and clattered like a tap dancer afraid of falling into the sink.

From Mort
Quote:
He was tall, red haired and freckled with the sort of body that seems to be only marginally under it's owner's control; it appeared to have been built out of knees.

From Making Money
Quote:
He turned to the men, who smiled nervously and backed away, leaving the smiles hanging awkwardly in the air, as protection.
msolga

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:39 pm
@littlek,
Beautiful writing, k.
Such a command of the language & so funny.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 07:54 pm
Some really great quotes there, k.
littlek

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 07:56 pm
@Merry Andrew,
He is masterful and hilarious - a winning combo in my opinion. I wish I had written quotes in all of the books I've read by him (I have 30 on my bookshelf).
engineer

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:25 pm
@littlek,
But he only represents a small corner of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy market. If you really want to test the genre, I wouldn't stay in just the humor area.
littlek

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:45 pm
@engineer,
Do I seem to be recommending that?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:56 pm
@littlek,
I don't know if this is the exact quote:

Quote:
A guilty look passed over his face, and then came back and camped there.
littlek

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 08:43 am
@DrewDad,
I sort of remember that one!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 08:51 am
anyone read Jordan's Wheel of time series?, any good, similarities to other types of work
Setanta

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 10:28 am
Well, i've never read anything by Terry Pratchet, so i might try him out. However, if he and Douglas Adams are similar, i'd probably soon lose interest. Adams is an appallingly boring writer, and in my never humble opinion, lacks imagination. Adams is all whipped cream and no pie.
engineer

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 11:33 am
@djjd62,
I like the Wheel of Time, but the guy really needed an editor. The amount of trivial BS is incredible. Similar but better is the Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind. Only remotely related to the TV series that they made from it.