Fantasy fiction 101

Fido

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 10:32 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

When I look at humanity today, I don't see that it is in general a lot improved over how history records humanity five hundred years ago. Expecting books set in the future to show some sort of fundamentally improved humanity is unrealistic because there is no reason to assume that better tools change the base animal inside. If anything, the best Sci-Fi creates situations that further illustrate the nature of the beast.

We have never changed, perhaps because we cannot...We change our forms, but just like our change of government, the people of the past began the degradation of the form, and every succeeding generation has made an effort to destroy the effectiveness of the government so they could turn it into money, exchanging meaning for value until there is no more meaning left in the form... And when desparation overcomes us, if it does not destroy us, we will change our form of government again...It is what we do, and mere technological advance cannot change that fact; but if we do not understand our forms, how we manage our lives and environments with forms, and force them to work and keep them working we may need space, but we will never get there...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 10:34 am
Whew . . . can you smell that ? ! ? ! ?

The bullshit around here is getting really deep . . . must be a philosophy forum refugee around here somewhere . . .
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 10:46 am
@Fido,
Quote:
Can you really imagine that we will bridge space if we cannot manage our behavior???

Yes. Because there are infinite profits to be made doing so.

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 10:47 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Because there are infinite profits to be made doing so.

Bingo . . . give that man a cee-gar. Red Mars makes that a central theme of the novel.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 10:50 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Because there are infinite profits to be made doing so.

Bingo . . . give that man a cee-gar. Red Mars makes that a central theme of the novel.

What a great series of books that was!

This also used to be a central point of Niven's works re: near Earth space. It's where the money is, so why wouldn't people go there?

Cycloptichorn
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:01 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
It's where the money is, so why wouldn't people go there?

I'd be the first to volunteer for any mining or other corporate or even nonprofit extraterrestrial expedition.
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:10 am
@tsarstepan,
I hear there is a non-profit expedition to provide certificates in anal probing to underpriviledged aliens. They have a shortage of avaialable anus on their planet though.... that where you come in.
BWAHAHAHAHA <---- sinister laugh
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:19 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Quote:

I'd be the first to volunteer for any mining or other corporate or even nonprofit extraterrestrial expedition.

Only if you got there before me, friend.

I'm really sick of all the dicking around our species does on the surface of this planet. It's like living next to a gold mine, but being too lazy and busy squabbling over a pile of copper to do anything about it.

Cycloptichorn
parados

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 12:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Well no one ever really killed others with gold.

Copper on the other hand allows you to make some killing tools.
Fido

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 01:40 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The bullshit around here is getting really deep . . . must be a philosophy forum refugee around here somewhere . . .

I'll bet you got a nose for it... Have you ever used your tongue??? Oh... I mean to say anything intelligent???
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 01:41 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Setanta wrote:

I'll bet you got a nose for it... Have you ever used your tongue??? Oh... I mean to say anything intelligent???

Enough of that in this thread, let's stick to the topic plz

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 02:08 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
Can you really imagine that we will bridge space if we cannot manage our behavior???

Yes. Because there are infinite profits to be made doing so.

Cycloptichorn

Michel de Montaigne said one man's loss is another man's gain... Unless people in need of spolation are infinite, neither can profits be infinite... Marx noted, perhaps in quoting another, that high profits and glut, meaning depression, are synonymous... High profits suck the wealth and finally the capital out of a country, and we have done that in this land for many years, and with loans, for many years to come... Where is the money to invest, since even the government has been plundered, forced to borrow from the very people it could have taxed....And where is the energy to be found, since what it takes to go anywhere is such an enormous expenditure of energy that the gas used would not get one around the corner... No investment in education has been made because as much as possible eduction has been used to deny class mobility, ensure upper level intelligent servant to the rich, and as a tool of foreign policy... Profit can only be made on labor which creates value to begin with, and there, patent law has been used to enrich the rich and stiffle invention... We might send off some piddling explorations, and before they would get out of sight we could be drowning in our own ****... Space is a dream world of fanatsy not only for story tellers and moralists, but for out of control governments as well... Space is just more sand blown up the ass of vulnerable humanity that can see how quickly we are burning through our resources and beinging ourselves to the point of anhilation... We have the choice to believe that nonsense, which is really the nonsense that everything is well, nothing will ever change judging by the fictions of men in space, or we can be certain that unless we manage our affairs as free men in a rational fashion and measure and ration our resources, and control our excesses and injustices with democracy, true democracy, -that we will die by war, disease, drought or dementia....Every time we chose hope over reason we chose death and slavery over life and freedom...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 02:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Quote:

You are already a space cowboy... Why not stop there... Seriously, you would get further with a propeller hat...
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 11:02 am
@Fido,
Flattery will get you no where!!! Rolling Eyes
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 11:05 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

I hear there is a non-profit expedition to provide certificates in anal probing to underpriviledged aliens. They have a shortage of avaialable anus on their planet though.... that where you come in.
BWAHAHAHAHA <---- sinister laugh

Well... if they pay more then I make now and add in a few employment benefits like a good health plan and a dollar for dollar matching retirement fund... then I'd think about the career change. Razz
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 11:07 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Flattery will get you no where!!! Rolling Eyes

Same place as space travel, only faster..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 05:11 pm
Surprised

I see we have a mini war going on here between the fantasy/sci fi addicts & the non-believers.
Interesting, interesting ... I really didn't expect this.

Reporting back: last night/early this morning I went to bed at some ridiculous hour & decided to begin listening to Good Omens (Pratchett/Gaiman) ... about the world ending next Saturday, most likely. (According to the predictions of Agnes the Nutter.) There is big trouble ahead. The armies of Good & Evil are preparing for a major dust-up!

Needless to say, I didn't get to sleep for quite some time. This is very, very funny stuff. And so clever! Smile
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 05:17 pm
@msolga,
Both authors spin a good yarn
djjd62

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 05:20 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:
Both authors spin a good yarn

and weave a fine tale
msolga

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 05:38 pm
@djjd62,
.. & have you chortling away, in absolute delight, when you really should be fast asleep! Smile