Something you like to do when you have free time

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 11:13 am
I there something I like to do when I have free time? I have loads of free time at 81, but I've done about everything I've wanted to do or to achieve.

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 980 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 11:35 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I spend my free time riding my horses and playing with the mule. I'm trying to train him a bit but it always turns into playing.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 12:14 pm
@Arella Mae,
Do you have any photos of the animals to post here?

BBB
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 01:17 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Yes ma'am, I sure do! Also, there are some videos of them on youtube. Of course, most of the youtubes are of JJ growing up.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=horselady11000&aq=f

This is my mule, JJ. His mother is a Paso Fino (rescued horse) and the daddy is some donkey I never met. JJ just turned six months old on the 12th of this month.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/1529/jjwow.jpg

This is JJ when he was first born and that is his mother, Little Miss Joy, named after my best friend. JJ is roughly an hour old in this picture.

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/6108/sbirthday001.jpg

This is Big Mac. He is my baby. He used to be a racehorse but he was retired early. The guy in the picture is my trainer, Dave.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/2893/mac1e.jpg

This is Buck. I bought him for my husband for his birthday/our anniversary:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/8739/bucks.jpg

aidan

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 01:25 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I spend my free time traveling around England, experiencing the people and countryside and taking pictures. I have a friend who is a historian - and this sort of kills three birds with one stone - he's homeless and one of the most interesting people I know (in reference to two of your other threads) - so he enjoys having a mode of transportation to get to these places (my car), instead of just hanging out at the shelter or on the streets - he's a great teacher, and he's one of the most interesting people I know.

If we weren't also good friends, it'd be sort of a quid pro quo arrangement. I supply the petrol and he acts as tour guide. Fortunately, we have a lot of laughs and enjoy each others company too.

Two weeks ago we went to Hastings (where the Battle of Hastings happened in 1066 - well it really happened in a place actually called Battle - six miles from Hastings). I want to go back to explore Canterbury and Dover - they're nearby.

Monday, I have a day off and my daughter is going to be one a class trip to London from early in the morning till late at night so I'm going to Portsmouth to see Portchester Castle:

Quote:
The strategic importance of Portchester has been recognised since at least the 3rd century when a Roman fort was established on the site of the later castle.
Though it is uncertain exactly when the fort was constructed, coin excavations suggests it was built by Marcus Aurelius Carausius on the instructions of emperor Diocletian between 285 and 290.

It was one of several forts built along the British coast in the period to combat raids by pirates. Portchester was probably a base from which the Classis Britannica, the Roman navy defending Britain, operated.
[6] It is the best preserved Roman fort north of the Alps.
[7] Although the Roman army retreated from Britain in the early 5th century, it is unlikely that the fort was ever completely abandoned, although its use continued on a much smaller scale. A 10th-century hall and tower was discovered within the fort, suggesting it was a high-status residence during the Saxon period. In 904, Portchester came into the possession of Edward the Elder and the fort became a burh to help defend the country against Vikings.
[8] [edit] Medieval castle and palace Portchester's outer bailey with the church as seen from the keepIt is uncertain when the castle was built, although it was probably in the late 11th century. In the aftermath of the Norman Conquest, the manor of Portchester was granted to William Maudit – an associate of William the Conqueror and a powerful magnate – and it was probably he who built Portchester Castle. The form of this early castle is uncertain, although Maudit was probably responsible for creating the inner ward in the north-west corner of the fort. At this point it would probably have been defended by a wooden palisade and a moat, with the pre-existing Roman stone walls of the fort acting as the defence of the outer bailey.

[9] Maudit died in about 1100, and his property passed onto his son, Robert Maudit. He died in 1120, and a few years later the family estates came into the hands of William Pont de l'Arche through marriage to Robert Maudit's daughter. Although the castle was still unrecorded in this period, it was probably at this point that it was rebuilt in stone. The evidence for this is that the stonework of the castle is similar to that of St Mary's parish church, which was built in the 1130s in the outer bailey. The church was built for an Augustinian priory that Pont de l'Arche established within the castle in 1128. Other buildings would have been planned for the priory, although almost no trace of them survives. As the community moved to a new site in Southwick some time between 1147 and 1150, the buildings may never have been completed.
[10] William Pont de l'Arche probably retained possession of Portchester Castle until his death in 1148, although who inherited it is uncertain. It may have passed to William Maudit, a descendant of the Maudit who most likely founded the castle, or Henry Maudit, William de l'Arche's son. The earliest extant reference to the castle is in as grant from 1153 in which Henry Plantagenet, later King Henry II granted the castle to Henry Maudit. Regardless when Henry ascended to the throne in 1154, he took over possession of Portchester Castle. It would remain in royal control for several centuries.
[10] More records survive from the castle's period as a royal fortress than the previous period; the Pipe Rolls, royals accounts, provide details of the castle's condition and structure. For instance, as only small sums were spent on the keep during the royal tenure, it is assumed that it was largely complete, and in 1183 the Rolls record that there were a royal apartments Castle separate from the keep. Henry II regularly vistiied Porthcesheter, and it featured in his dispute with Thomas Becket. It was here that Henry met with the Bishop of Évreux who talked on Becket's behalf.
[12] The castle was also used as a prison for important people, such as the Earl of Leicester. When Henry II's sons rebelled against him with the support of some leading barons in the Revolt of 1173–1174, Portchester was made ready for war. Catapults were made prepared to defend the castle, and it was garrisoned with ten knights, although it was later increased to twenty.
[11] King John often stayed at Portchester Castle and was there when he heard of the loss of Normandy in 1204. There was major rebuilding work during the 14th century and Edward III assembled his 15,000 strong army there before leaving for France and victory at the Battle of Crecy. Richard II turned the castle into a magnificent palace, and Henry V spent the night at the castle before travelling to Southampton, thence France and the Battle of Agincourt. He undertook a Fleet Review at Portchester before leaving. [edit] Use as a prison Portchester Castle's keep
After Henry VII founded the Royal Dockyard at Portsmouth, the castle lost its importance. It was last used in the 19th century as a gaol for over 7000 French prisoners of the Napoleonic Wars. Hospital Lane (formerly Seagates Lane), which flanks the western side of the castle, was the location of the prison hospital which survives today as Portchester House, a private residence. Those that died in captivity were often buried in what are now tidal mudflats to the south of the castle, their remains occasionally disturbed by storms. Today Today Portchester Castle is used mainly for recreation: the inner section of the castle accommodates displays and exhibits. The castle is a popular venue for school outings, while the sea front is frequented at high tide by anglers in pursuit of flounders and bass. Portchester Castle is rumoured to be haunted; on one occasion a member of staff claimed to see a horse appear from a wall and then disappear

URL: http://able2know.org/reply/post-4361005
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:25 pm
@Arella Mae,
Thanks for sharing those photos. No wonder you love them so much.

BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:26 pm
@aidan,
How did you happen to meet your friend?

BBB
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:37 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Thanks for sharing those photos. No wonder you love them so much.

BBB
You are very welcome. Thank you for asking me to share them.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 01:31 am
@aidan,
I enjoyed reading about your way of spending your free time.
I like to travel in England myself. There is something to explore around every corner I have the feeling of.
aidan

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 01:37 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I was with friends who managed a pub in a small village outside of Oxford. We went to Oxford for lunch and to spend the afternoon. We were walking around Oxford and heard a busker who was playing jazz guitar. My friends asked him to come to their pub to do music. I told him I really liked his stuff and bought one of his cd's - also one of his cd's of his Japanese wife singing - that's become one of my favorite cd's. I also love Max's rendition of Here Comes the Sun (instrumental) more than any I've ever heard.

So Max saw that I liked music and told me there was another street musician he wanted me to hear. This guy could play any stringed instrument - but mostly loved to play bluegrass guitar. I love bluegrass. He had made a cd but didn't have any with him so I e-mailed Max (whose e-mail was printed on his cd) with my address and asked if he could get this guy to mail me one.

My friend e-mailed me back and we started talking about blue grass and country music. I would recommend songs that he'd never heard of and send him links (he has use of a computer in the library) and he started recommending places for me to go see in England.
As we talked, it became obvious he knew an amazing amount about the historical and cultural foundation of the UK.

One day I told him that I was going to see thus and such and he said, 'Oh, I would love to see that again - I haven't been there in so many years,' and I asked him if he wanted to come with me. He said yes.

So now - that's what we both do with a lot of our free time. That and listen to Bluegrass music with banjo and fiddle and country music - especially anything with Don Williams singing.
aidan

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 01:44 am
@saab,
Saab - YES! When people come to visit me here and want to see everything in the span of two weeks - I just shake my head in frustration trying to narrow it down at all so that they can at least get the gist of it.

I've lived here going on six YEARS and I haven't seen everything I've wanted to see and I'm making a very concerted effort because it has become a place that is just magical to me. I love the landscape as much if not more than any other place I've ever been - except the US. I have to say that parts of the US are just AS beautiful - but I couldn't say they were MORE beautiful.

Anyway - my friend has now introduced me to an artist who is also an English history buff and a painter so he has an eye for spectacular landscapes - which is what I love about England - moreso than the cities and museums - so now I have TWO people making suggestions about where to go and what to see.

This artist says I need to see Durham Cathedral. He says it's the most beautiful cathedral in England in his opinion.
That's the next thing on my list - and I do want to go back to that part of the country anyway. I was there once, loved it, but knew I hadn't seen everything I wanted to see there, so now here's my excuse.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 02:27 am

I enjoy gunnery practice.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 02:28 am

I like to go to Las Vegas.

David
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 02:43 am
@aidan,
I am amazed how much people want to see in a short time.
Once I wanted to visit a museum in Denmark and asked how much time I should spend as I was in a hurry. (I had about one afternoon).
The person in charge looked at me and said"So you are in a hurry - then I would say you need two weeks".
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 09:26 am
@aidan,
Serendipity is a propensity for making fortunate discoveries while looking for something unrelated.

Your serendipity event has enriched your life and also us with your story sharing.

BBB
Linkat

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 10:28 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
sleep
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:25 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
Your serendipity event has enriched your life and also us with your story sharing.

That's a very kind thing for you to say, BBB. Thank you.
And thanks for posting this thread. It's fun to remember and dream about what might come next in my free time.
0 Replies