SUGGESTIONS FOR AFTER-DINNER GAMES

Clary

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 06:25 am
On Christmas Day we traditionally join up with another family for dinner and after-dinner games. We already do Charades and, if bloated and sofa-bound, Categories (list of flower, tree, artist, country etc. all beginning with a random chosen letter), Consequences, and a version of the Acronym Game which my grandmother taught me, called Telegrams (everyone given the same word to turn into the best 'telegram'.Has anyone got some good suggestions for new games? The youngest will be 14 and the oldest 87!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,066 • Replies: 20
No top replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 06:54 am
Since I've joined A2K I play 20 questions with my family whenever we go out for dinner and are waiting on our meal. It works perfectly. We do objects. "street signs" is one that stumped my husband. :-) "baby crib" almost stumped me.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 07:09 am
Naked drunken Twister (TM)?
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 09:12 am
So, Onyx when are you going to start that object game?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 10:24 am
Cav, I have to say that while the over 40s would do naked drunken Twister with glee and relish, the 14-25 year-olds would DIE! I'll suggest it though.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 01:26 pm
Here's a good diversion (not exactly a game) that usually gets every one in hysterics.

Tie a tablespoon in the middle of a long piece of thin thread or cotton and wind the two ends round the index finger of each hand. Insert the fingers in the ears with the spoon dangling freely in front and swing the head so the spoon strikes a hard object. Try it !
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 01:39 pm
fealola - tonight, when i get home and after I do clary's christmas avatar :-)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 01:39 pm
I've always enjoyed the physics game "Just how big must a room be in order to swing a cat without hitting anything." The kids love it...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 01:43 pm
I'm also fond of "Name that dipthong." Laughing Sadly, I'm not the young 'uns will like that.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 02:13 pm
I don't understand that.... what am I missing here? Unfortunately, much as I enjoy swinging cats, the 14 yr old owns the only cat in the Christmas party, a mangy old black thing that looks well over 14 itself. So I probably won't be able to.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 02:38 pm
Do you do card games too? My family plays "Skip-Bo" . It's sort of a standard at family gatherings. There is always a table to two going all hours of the day. It's easy enough for the kids to play and still enough fun for adults.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 04:35 pm
"Not enough room to swing a cat"

Meaning: a confined space

Origin: Many people incorrectly think that this is a reference to the old Navel punishment of the 'cat of nine tails', however the phrase has been found in use long before that punishment was ever metered out by the Navy. In fact the phrase refers to the practice of putting a cat in a sack then suspending the sack from a tree, swinging the sack and then using it for archery practice.

Example: This room is too small, there's not enough room to swing a cat.

Like I said, fun for all! Sorry for being obscure there, Clary. Skip-Bo is fun too, I used to love it. Very Happy
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 04:27 am
No, I knew about the cat, what I don't understand is name that diphthong. Explain!

I now hear there will be 17 people at the Christmas gathering... I think card games will be difficult to organise! Never heard of Skip-Bo but intrigued to learn it.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 07:16 am
We have played a geography game--sit in a circle and have one person start by naming a geographic location. The next person in line must name another geographic location within 5 (or 10 for the young'uns?) seconds that begins with the last letter in the previous person's location.
Example:
player1: NigeriA
player2: AntwerP
player3: PlymoutH
player4: HawaiI

etc.
People who can't think of a location fast enough are "out", and their letter then passes to the next player. Last one in the game wins.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 07:22 am
play UNO!!!!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 07:34 am
DIPTHONGS

"Dipthongs are transitional vowels. They are powered by quasi-periodic puffs of air as vowels, but the vocal tract changes from an original configuration to a second target configuration which causes a transition in the resonance (and formants) of the tract. This change is usually predominately a shift in the second formant."

Examples from Finnish:

http://www.uta.fi/~km56049/finnish/diphthng.html
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 09:26 am
But this doesn't explain the game!

I have written dictionaries since 1971, cav... I know about diphthongs!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 09:31 am
Play "name that disorder."

Kind of like charades, but you pick a disorder, and act it out, while people have to guess.

Like, you could eat a whole bag of chips in front of the group, then puke into a bucket. "Bulemia!!!"

Or you could start crawling around the room yelling "c'mere, you pink elf! They're EVERYWHERE!"
-Schizo

It's fun for the whole family!
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 10:20 am
MM-mm, thank you Slaps; there'll be enough puking after the huge Xmas dinner anyway...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 10:42 am
Clary, the game is easy. Someone starts by writing a random two vowels on a piece of paper. They show it to the group. Everyone has a chance to vocalize the dipthong. The first to shout out which language or languages it is related to gets to start the next round. If it is related to more than one language, whoever gets the most wins. Quantity trumps 'first one in'. Laughing
0 Replies