Can someone help me identify this statue

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 10:30 am
@BDV,
Much better... I'm wondering if that may be a depiction of Athena.

You said your relative was escaping the Greek islands...was that during the Dodecanese Campaign? If so, that will greatly reduce the number of Greek islands to search.

Also, have you been able to identify locations from any other photos? Are there many of them? Have you tried marking them with flag pins on a map to determine a route?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 10:33 am
@BDV,
Your latest picture seems to show the person holding onto a staff. Maybe, that's a good clue.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 06:10 pm
@Butrflynet,
i know the exact places he was due too having his service record and his regimental records for the time:

He left egypt from Port Said, arrived in Piracus, moved too Daphni then travelled through Lianocladi to Lamia (Where there camp was), when germans invaded (Operation Marita), they left by coast road towards Atalanti, went though Thebes, past Elepsis and back to daphni.

After a few days in Daphni they proceeded to Argos, then Kalamata.

Departed by boat to Kithera (port of Kapdal), after a few days they arrived at souda bay crete, then after the invasion of crete they departed the greek islands to Alexandria.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 06:16 pm
@BDV,
Wonderful! This will help a great deal. Over the next few days, I'll use my free time to do some exploring with this added information.
BDV

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 06:38 pm
@Butrflynet,
thanx, i must have seen several thousand pictures of greek statues now, sry for some misspelt names but i took them direct from a copy of his regimental records
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 01:25 am
@BDV,

It's a female figure, clad in flowing robes, holding a staff aloft. And surely that fat lump is not her left arm?
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 03:32 am
female goddess's of the sea : Amphitrite, Ceto, Cymopoleia, Eurybia, Leucothea & Thoosa.

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_mythological_figures
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 10:32 am
@BDV,
Here is a comprehensive list and their descriptions:

http://www.theoi.com/greek-mythology/sea-gods.html
BDV

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 03:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
I think this maybe some sort of seamans memorial, but still unable to locate anything even similiar Sad although my expertise in statues has increased somewhat dramatically
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 04:46 pm
@BDV,
I'd wager that is a statue of Achilles, the Trojan War hero... but I've no clue where it might be.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 05:20 pm
@BDV,
It is quite possible it isn't located in any of the cities noted in the regimental records, but is in one enroute between locations cited in the records. What adds to my suspicion is putting myself behind the camera lens. It looks like it was taken in a hurry, probably from a moving vehicle. Since you say there are hundreds of such photos, I almost wonder if he was attempting to document all the works of art he came across in case they were destroyed by war.
BDV

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 02:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
after looking at several more thousand statues, ithink this maybe Athena, spear on right arm, left arm holding a circular shield (Maybe), flowing robes and possibly wearing a helm of some sort, what do yous think?

not the same but similiar:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Nr5-_TYsA-E/SdC2bSksp8I/AAAAAAAAAa0/5NphvYp3_xQ/s400/Athena+The+Goddess+Academy.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 06:03 pm
<nothing to add, but following the thread...>
0 Replies