God Votes with Lightning and Touchdown Jesus Burns

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 04:58 am
The best part are the comments under the article at the link:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127855832

Quote:

Holy Smoke! Lightning Strike Burns Jesus Statue

by The Associated Press
Statue of Jesus Christ stands outside of Solid Rock Church in Monroe, Ohio.
Enlarge The Dayton Daily News/AP

In this June 26, 2005, file photo, the "King of Kings" statue of Jesus Christ stands outside of Solid Rock Church in Monroe, Ohio.
The Dayton Daily News/AP

In this June 26, 2005, file photo, the "King of Kings" statue of Jesus Christ stands outside of Solid Rock Church in Monroe, Ohio.
text size A A A
June 15, 2010

A six-story-tall statue of Jesus Christ with his arms raised that stood along an Ohio highway was struck by lightning in a thunderstorm Monday night and burned to the ground, police said.

The "King of Kings" statue, one of southwest Ohio's most familiar landmarks, had stood since 2004 at the evangelical Solid Rock Church along Interstate 75 in Monroe, just north of Cincinnati.

The lightning strike set the statue ablaze around 11:15 p.m., Monroe police dispatchers said.
Now, only the frame remains of the statue of Jesus.
Enlarge Nick Graham/The Dayton Daily News/AP

Only the frame remains of the statue of Jesus after it was struck by lightning in a thunderstorm Monday night and burned to the ground.
Nick Graham/The Dayton Daily News/AP

Only the frame remains of the statue of Jesus after it was struck by lightning in a thunderstorm Monday night and burned to the ground.

The sculpture, 62 feet tall and 40 feet wide at the base, showed Jesus from the torso up and was nicknamed Touchdown Jesus because of the way the arms were raised, similar to a referee signaling a touchdown. It was made of plastic foam and fiberglass over a steel frame, which is all that remained early Tuesday.

The fire spread from the statue to an adjacent amphitheater but was confined to the attic area, and no one was injured, police Chief Mark Neu said.

Travelers on Interstate 75 often were startled to come upon the huge statue by the roadside, but many said America needs more symbols like it. So many people stopped at the church campus that church officials had to build a walkway to accommodate them.

The 4,000-member, nondenominational church was founded by former horse trader Lawrence Bishop and his wife. Bishop said in 2004 he was trying to help people, not impress them, with the statue. He said his wife proposed the Jesus figure as a beacon of hope and salvation and they spent about $250,000 to finance it.

Krumple

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 05:11 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

The best part are the comments under the article at the link:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127855832

Quote:

Holy Smoke! Lightning Strike Burns Jesus Statue

by The Associated Press
Enlarge The Dayton Daily News/AP

The Dayton Daily News/AP

text size A A A
June 15, 2010

A six-story-tall statue of Jesus Christ with his arms raised that stood along an Ohio highway was struck by lightning in a thunderstorm Monday night and burned to the ground, police said.

The "King of Kings" statue, one of southwest Ohio's most familiar landmarks, had stood since 2004 at the evangelical Solid Rock Church along Interstate 75 in Monroe, just north of Cincinnati.

The lightning strike set the statue ablaze around 11:15 p.m., Monroe police dispatchers said.
Enlarge Nick Graham/The Dayton Daily News/AP

Nick Graham/The Dayton Daily News/AP

The sculpture, 62 feet tall and 40 feet wide at the base, showed Jesus from the torso up and was nicknamed Touchdown Jesus because of the way the arms were raised, similar to a referee signaling a touchdown. It was made of plastic foam and fiberglass over a steel frame, which is all that remained early Tuesday.

The fire spread from the statue to an adjacent amphitheater but was confined to the attic area, and no one was injured, police Chief Mark Neu said.

Travelers on Interstate 75 often were startled to come upon the huge statue by the roadside, but many said America needs more symbols like it. So many people stopped at the church campus that church officials had to build a walkway to accommodate them.

The 4,000-member, nondenominational church was founded by former horse trader Lawrence Bishop and his wife. Bishop said in 2004 he was trying to help people, not impress them, with the statue. He said his wife proposed the Jesus figure as a beacon of hope and salvation and they spent about $250,000 to finance it.

yeah i saw this, very funny and there is a huge atheist you tube gathering in ohio this weekend.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 05:27 am
Maybe God is an atheist.
Krumple

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 05:30 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Maybe God is an atheist.

no no, he just doesn't believe in humans.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 07:14 am
Someone on yahoo commented that now that the statue of Christ burned, we can return to worship of the Sta-Puff Marshmallow Man.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 07:15 am
@plainoldme,
At least, for a few hours, there was a fire big enough to toast him.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 07:19 am
@Green Witch,
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I know i should be able to say something witty, but I just can't.

Maybe Yahweh doesn't like plastic foam and fiberglass idols?

Oh my....just saw a photo of the thing!!

http://media.npr.org/assets/news/2010/06/15/beforejesus.jpg?t=1276614642&s=2

One thing you can say of Yahweh...great critic.

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 07:24 am
@dlowan,
The statue burned and now it's just a metal armature.

They plan to rebuild it.

Terminator Jesus will be back.

http://media.npr.org/assets/news/2010/06/15/afterjesus.jpg
dlowan

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 07:32 am
@DrewDad,

Die Verwandlung!!
http://media.npr.org/assets/news/2010/06/15/afterjesus_custom.jpg?t=1276614525&s=1

God shall from hence be known as "Gregor".

0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:03 am
I thought 'Touch Down Jesus' was at Notre Dame. I think this one was better known as Big Butter Jesus. Heywood Banks wrote a song about it and when it burned, he added a new verse:

Quote:
“One night Big Butter got hit by lightning/It burned to the frame wire in a giant grease fire. Some blamed it on Satan, and boy, that would be frightening/But I thought it was Jesus’ father who was in charge of lightning,”

http://www.journal-news.com/news/hamilton-news/comedian-updates-song-after-demise-of-big-butter-jesus-763582.html?cxtype=rss_local-news

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:23 am
@Green Witch,
My all time favorite is "Buddy Jesus"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/93/Buddy_christ.jpg
Irishk

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:31 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
They plan to rebuild it.

Solid Rock Church should maybe consider a solid rock statue?

Fido

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:40 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

DrewDad wrote:
They plan to rebuild it.

Solid Rock Church should maybe consider a solid rock statue?

Fly by Night denominations never invest in quality....
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:43 am
@Fido,
        http://media.npr.org/assets/news/2010/06/15/beforejesus.jpg?t=1276614642&s=2

Dumb looking statue. It looks like JC is drowning or being sucked into the La Brea tarpits
Rockhead

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:47 am
@farmerman,
I used to drive past that thing a lot.

it had a Gojira feeling about it.

I bet it looked cool aflame. any pics of it burning???
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:33 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
but many said America needs more symbols like it.

This thread is a clear illustration of why that is so!

Quote:
they spent about $250,000 to finance it.

Former horse trader, huh? Boy, did he get took!
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 02:24 pm
Nature wrote:
**** your gaudy bullshit. I'M your god.

A
R
T
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 02:27 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

My all time favorite is "Buddy Jesus"
            http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/93/Buddy_christ.jpg

Is that at one of the Creation Museums?
failures art

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 02:28 pm
@rosborne979,
I thought it was made for the movie Dogma.

Also, I think it's "Buddy Christ."

A
R
T
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 07:36 am
@dlowan,
I thought the SAME thing! What is the message?
0 Replies