How many books do you own; how do you shelve them?

Eva

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 08:18 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:
...I wonder if there is any room in our house that doesn't have books? I'm going to walk around the house and see.

OK, the upstairs hallway and the half-bath near the back door don't have any books in them. That's all. Every other room has books.

There are a bunch that we don't need anymore, though. Hmm. Where should I take them, I wonder?
JTT

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 08:27 pm
@Eva,
Quote:
Every other room has books.

That way, you don't have to buy any stools.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 08:46 pm
@dyslexia,
What does it say about the person who makes an effort to respond to nearly every post by BBB with something derogatory about the post?
GoshisDead

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 08:48 pm
Rare and sentimental books are in a locked glass doored cabinet. I have one set of shelves for fiction. Another set of shelves for work, research, and reference. A third set of shelves for non-fiction and religion.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 08:56 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

What does it say about the person who makes an effort to respond to nearly every post by BBB with something derogatory about the post?

well, I don't know, what would you say about a person who would make an effort to respond to every post by BBB with something derogatory about the post?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 09:13 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
One does not become more intelligent or better educated by ones garish display of books.

It's only a garish display if people see it (beside the owner) and are aware of it's existence.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 09:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Quote:
One does not become more intelligent or better educated by ones garish display of books.

It's only a garish display if people see it (beside the owner) and are aware of it's existence.
And It's been my experience that people who "display" books ostentatiously, are feebly attempting to elevate their own perception of their knowledge/education status. those with rickity stacks of books being read/ to be read beside the bed or favorite reading chair, in the corner of the dining room, in on or around the guest room closet etc etc etc. display a degree of credibility as opposed to those that "display" books for the purpose of being seen lack that same credibility and are, more the most part, attaching an ego function to the books.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 09:31 pm
@dyslexia,
so, it's ok to have books, but nix the shelves???

mine are in soda crates.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 09:57 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

so, it's ok to have books, but nix the shelves???

mine are in soda crates.
It's not the shelves RH, it's the function. when one has books meant to be read then the books themselves are the function, when books are displayed they are the environment no less than an over-size flat-screen t.v. is the environment. the environment can be said to be accoutrements of the resident.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 09:59 pm
Most of our books have been given away. The ones I keep are those that are of historical nature or some books of fiction that the author has autographed for me. I loaned my "Shogun" with James Clavell's signature to my brother-in-law, and he lost it. boo hoo...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 10:00 pm
@dyslexia,
gotcha.

I only got one book displayed.

It's a really old copy of Les Mis, and I'm s'posed to be sending it to a friend some day.

but not yet...

it's too old to read much.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 10:00 pm
@Rockhead,
I'm your friend; send it to me. That's my favorite book.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 10:05 pm
@dyslexia,
Perhaps that's true for some people. I just happen to adore books, and I like having them around me. I was taught to value them highly, and I do.

That said, I do have some that I keep simply for their looks. That is because they are beautiful objects. Maybe it's the old leather binding, maybe it's the cover art. But some I just enjoy looking at...and handling.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 10:09 pm
I have to amend my reply slightly. I have one book for vanity. I got a brand new copy of Ulysses, but held on to the old one, so I could dip into it without mussing the pages.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 12:13 am
Why not combine getting rid of books and have a good (?) chair to sit in?

http://boingboing.net/2008/07/16/chair-made-from-disc.html
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 01:20 am
@saab,
Saab, that's a creative idea. ---BBB

http://ragandbone.com/bloggerimages2008/06_24_chair/01.jpg
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 01:50 am
@plainoldme,
Contrary to what Dyslexia said, my books are not for decoration or for impression, etc. Some of my shelves have chairs in front of them so you don't see all of the books. That's a more economic use of wall space. I've read and treasured all of them that I moved to Albuquerque. They've been acquired since the 1960s, so that's not so many for 58 years. I saved them for my children to read as they were growing up. The neighborhood children know I have the books, and they like to use them for school research because the vast majority of them are non-fiction and helpful to them.

BBB
dyslexia

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 06:30 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
Contrary to what Dyslexia said, my books are not for decoration or for impression
well my goodness me, could you perhaps quote me posting "BBB's are for decoration or impression?"
plainoldme

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 06:42 am
@Butrflynet,
But that is dyslexia! I tried to start a wine thread because I love discussing wine and dys . . . although far from alone in his action . . . made a sarcastic contribution.

Well, sometimes, you just have to ignore the sarcasm and decide whether to join in the dys direction and then either abandon the thread or start a new one that alters the original in a way the resident comics can't mess up or to ignore him and continue on your own way with the thread.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 06:45 am
BTW,I am frustrated by my current lack of access to my books. While they are in labeled cartons and represent the shelves they came from, which were built in at my old house, I have no shelves on which to put them here.

I also need to paint rooms and have a closet rebuilt before I move in the book shelves I can not afford to buy.
0 Replies